• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying gun openly results in arrest

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/aug/28/briefly14226/ wrote:

Carrying gun openly results in arrest

A man who said he thought having a concealed weapons permit meant he could wear his .45-caliber handgun in public view was arrested on charges of unlawful carrying of a pistol.

North Charleston police got a call Sunday afternoon about a man walking around a store at 7800 Rivers Ave. Officers saw him walk out of the store and noted a black handgun in a holster in public view.

The owner had a concealed weapons permit and told officers he thought that meant "having it on you," police reported.

Officers said Nathan Charles Dailey, 22, of Summerville, wasn't carrying the pistol within the regulations of the permit because it wasn't hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing.

The handgun was loaded with a bullet in the chamber, and the safety was off, police said.
Uh oh. The NRA certified CCW/CWP instructor will hang for this and the others will be scrutinized. In eight hours or instruction, this guy didn't get the point.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

PT111

imported post

Evidently he didn't pay attention in class and I don't think instructors in SC have to be NRA certified, only SLED certified. Inboth CWP classes I took it was stressed that the gun had to be concealed in SC. Sounds to me some idiot that needs his permit and gun revoked if he isn't going to learn the laws and obey them.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
[ ...]
(5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
[ ...]
(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED-approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;

There may be CWP instructors that have exercised the exceptions but none that I know.

I got to the point of submitting my CWP Instructor's lesson plan to SLED when I realized the lie of the NRA. When I protested mention of a private orgainization in the statutes, then I learned who the skunks amongst us are. Few GRGRSC members are open about their NRA affiliation, those that are have the stink of lickspittle about them.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed wher they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$