• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on a Float Trip?

Boba Fett

First point, this is not about legalities, I'll ask about that in my state forum.

I'm going on a canoe trip with my youth group that I'm an assistant youth pastor for. I have a Taurus 85 revolver and a Glock 19. I was wondering which one I should take (if I should even go armed) and how I should carry it, seeing as the possibility of it getting wet are high. I have a Serpa and a hybrid holster for the Glock, and a hybrid for the revolver. Should I even bother carrying? I haven't left my home unarmed in so long. lol

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Zip-lock bags are your friend. Use one to hold several pre-oiled patches, and another to hold dry patches. Stick a cleaning rod in as well, so you do not end up leaving dirt, bark, or sap from the twig you used as a field expedient. Field strip, dry, and oil your handgun every night. Check it over first thing in the morning for condensation (which you will get as much of when you keep it in your sleeping bag with you as when you leave it outside your sleeping bag). Dry and oil as necessary. Yes, doing it both at night and in the morning is necessary if yu want to keep Mr. Rust away.

Double zip-lock bag your extra ammo. Maybe a smaller zip-lock bag for the ammo and then a bigger one for that to go in - do not push all the air out of either bag, you are hoping for the ammo to float if it does go overboard.

Invest in a lanyard - even if it is home-made from paracord or shoelaces. It is better to pull on your end of the line and bring the wayward item back aboard than to try diving for it or moaning and mourning your preventable loss. Just do not tie your lanyard to the trigger guard. (Yes, I have seem people do that. It causes problems.) If your handgun goes for a swim, dry it off and oil it as soon as possible. If it just gets rained on you can probably safely wait till evening - the folks in the .mil do.

IMHO the Glock with the Serpa holster is a better choice as you will not be getting leather wet. However, if you take leather, remember a) to let it dry slowly and b) when wet you have an opportunity to improve on the fit by boning it. The handle end of a toothbrush makes a good field expedient bone.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think the OP is interested in avoiding getting "character marks" on his carry piece. In spite of the fact that just like chicks dig scars, gunnies love hearing and telling stories about how "that" scratch/gouge happened.

OTOH, most of us are interested in keeping the amount of rust that happens to a munimum. Thus drying and oiling while out overnight.

In case you missed it, the point of putting extra ammo in plastic bags was to prevent it from dropping to the bottom if it goes overboard. The fact that it stays dry is a bonus.

Forgot to mention this before -

WD40 is not your friend. While it may displace any water, it tends to leave gummy deposits behind. The more you use the more gummy it gets. Any lubrication it provides is overcome by the gummy deposits left behind.

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I carry on float and canoe camping trips all the time. My normally gun for this is my TI 41 mag. I carry most of the time I a horizontal nylon shoulder holster. Under my PFD I find that normal waist holster gets in the way all ways catching on my canoe seat getting in and out.

I also use a lanyard I have no desire to lose my hand gun in the water. Matter of fact I use a lanyard a lot when in gaging in hard activity out in the woods 4wheeling, MC off road riding.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Invest in a lanyard - even if it is home-made from paracord or shoelaces.........

I also use a lanyard I have no desire to lose my hand gun in the water. Matter of fact I use a lanyard a lot when in gaging in hard activity out in the woods 4wheeling, MC off road riding.

I live on a lagoon and kayak quite a bit. I use a lanyard when I do, but it has been a long, long time since I went under while armed. Most of my weapons have lanyard rings, so that part is easy. As for wet, it rains here all the time, just clean it.

By the way, have a great time on your trip.

Boba Fett

Some good advice here. I forgot to mention although we are camping overnight, we're only floating the second day and then going home. According to those who have floated this river OC is completely legal. I think I'll take the G19 in my Serpa with a lanyard.