• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW-ing high cap mags?

ruskiegunlover

I live in Ks, will be traveling through co in the last week of May. Going to Utah to do a 24 mile canyon hike. Plan on ccwing my mk25 sig. But it has 15 rd magazines.....Is it legal to travel through the state with 15 rd mags if your destination is NOT co? Or do I need to pick up 10 rd mags?

Seigi

Clicked thread hoping for pictures of people attempting to conceal extended magazines. Found discussion of 15 rds of 9mm as "high capacity." Well there goes my morning.

SteveInCO

0) The law you are thinking of is a pile of dogsqueeze (just getting that out of the way).

1) The law that recently passed in CO applies to magazines OVER 15 rounds. Your 15 rounders are fine. If your pistol took 16 rounders, there might be a problem, but even then, see my next points.

2) The magazine is utterly legal even if over 15 rounds IF you owned it before 1 July 2013. Unless there is a date stamp on the magazine or it's of a type not manufactured until after that date, there's really no way to prove you bought it after that date.

3) Given fact #2 you'd practically have to confess to the "crime" of buying a magazine after 1 July 2013 and then bringing it into Colorado, for your being found with one to result in an arrest. And that's assuming your cop encounter isn't with one of the many who think this law is dogsqueeze and refuses to enforce it.

4) The immediately aforementioned cop would be right, the law in question is dogsqueeze (just sayin').

Anyway, because of point 1 there is simply no issue here and I don't understand why no one else pointed that out. Travel through Colorado and feel welcome.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not withstanding how the law is written.........the darn things are standard capacity mags :banghead:

arentol

So DON'T worry about it? What if, as an out of state person, I bought the mags RECENTLY after the law?

Don't worry in the slightest if they are 15 rounders, as those are legal no matter what. If they are larger you legally can not take them into Colorado if you took ownership of them after the law took effect. In practice however you are very unlikely to get in trouble and even if you did the burden would be on them to prove you purchased them after that date, which would be exceedingly difficult unless you have the receipt with you.

That being said, I wouldn't take a 16+ round magazine anyway, as if the police do take it from your possession for even a second you can't take it back.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

M-Taliesin

Howdy!
I just don't get the whole premise to start with.
If you are CC'ing the firearm, how would the local law enforcement types know you're carrying any magazine, let alone one that might be questionable.
If you are carrying concealed, that means they'd never see it anyhow.
Then again, this forum is supposed to be about Open Carry; hence the name "Open Carry dot Org".
Meanwhile, ....

Unless you've gone out of your way to attract attention from an LEO, there should not be an issue.
I assume you are not passing through with an intent to buy pot or attend 4/20 activities, because getting high and handguns have no business together.

The new Colorado law regarding magazine capacity applies to citizens of Colorado.
How can it be applied to folks who do not live in Colorado?
That doesn't make any sense either.
You're passing through, and carrying concealed, it should never be an issue.

Everything is legal until you find some LEO discovers an opportunity to bust you for something.

My suggestion is; don't borrow troubles you don't need anyway.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

SpringfieldCarry

If you bought your handgun before the ban, you are grandfathered in. The stamp on my XD box shows 2010 so I have no worries and I open carry. But if it's a sheriff, I doubt you'll have any issues since Terry Makita even stated that himself nor his deputies will enforce any new gun laws. Unless I'm reading your question wrong, I hope this answers your question.

Posted via Galaxy S4 with Tapatalk