• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Permit with a 22 year old felony conviction

stuart

Good morning everyone. New member here and I have a question to ask. 22 YEARS AGO I made a mistake and got caught with $10.00 worth of drugs. It was a felony charge which I took responsibility for. Pleaded guilty to the charge, got 2 years probation, NO jail time, and paid an $1100 fine. Since then i've been an upstanding citizen, my voters rights and the right to sit on a jury have been restored as of last year. My question is this......can I get a CCW permit to carry a handgun and/or can I go with an open carry which in my state no permit is needed. I live in the state of Arizona.

Thank you,

Stuart.

Ghost1958

Vote for candidates that will repeal the GCA and NFA . Your rtkaba should never have been connected to a past crime

Free to walk the street, free to be armed.

bc.cruiser

Meanwhile, something such as I carry is completely legal for you also. You just can't CC. I carry an 1858 Remington New Army revolver in .44 caliber. A pre-1898 handgun, or replica, that cannot fire modern ammo is outside ATF and NC regulations. Even felons have rights; they just have to exercised in alternate methods.

stuart

Meanwhile, something such as I carry is completely legal for you also. You just can't CC. I carry an 1858 Remington New Army revolver in .44 caliber. A pre-1898 handgun, or replica, that cannot fire modern ammo is outside ATF and NC regulations. Even felons have rights; they just have to exercised in alternate methods.

These laws that you have here are for the state of North Carolina. My guilty plea/conviction happened in the state of New Jersey 22 years ago. Should I look up the laws that are for New Jersey to see if i'm allowed to open carry or get a CCW.

Stuart.

solus

well stuart, a thought...have you purchased a firearm from a FFL [anywhere] in the interim since your 'youthful' indiscretion 22 years ago?

to peel your onion back further, WHO restored your right to vote and sit on a jury and which state?

per hangunlaw.us...http://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

13-3112, Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability
E 3. 3. Is not under indictment for and has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of a felony unless that conviction has been expunged, set aside or vacated or the applicant's rights have been restored and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

does your indiscretion meet az statute 13-706 definition per https://azleg.gov/ars/13/00706.htm [please look at section A then F]

stuart

I never had a firearm in my life in ANY state, except for when I was in the military. I was in the US NAVY stationed in the Armory back in '73-'75. I looked at all those az statues and none of them apply to me. This was a simple $10 dollar drug possession charge, but since it was a CDS, it went into the felony section of crimes. I pleaded guilty, got 2 years probation and an $1100 dollar fine and that was the end of it. I moved here to AZ 3 years ago and after two years, I was sent a letter to serve on a jury in this state, and this past June, I was sent a voters registration card for this state. So, I don't know if my CCW or open carry privileges have been restored. I don't want to be walking down the street with a weapon on my hip and get arrested for open carrying.

Stuart.

solus

if sir, you looked at the statutes, understood them, then you know in section 13-706 A which stated "...except a drug offense." & your offense wasn't listed in F, then you MIGHT not be ineligible for a permit in AZ!

i'll reiterate my statement from post three...see a local attorney!

apply
a. to purchase a firearm
or
b. the ccw

see what happens ~ worse is ya'll get a no!

stuart

I did look at all the statues that you said I should look at and I understood them all, and as I see it, none of them pertain to me. I will consult a lawyer tomorrow about it. Thank you very much for your help with this.

Stuart.

KBCraig

Don't focus on the AZ laws until you look at the law under which you were convicted.

Was the maximum possible sentence more than one year imprisonment? If yes, you are a federally prohibited person no matter what the state says.

The exception: if the state in which you were convicted called it a misdemeanor, and the maximum imprisonment was less than two years.

It doesn't matter how much time you actually spent behind bars, only what the maximum possible sentence was. And yes, being prohibited over $10 worth of drugs sucks.

bc.cruiser

Apologies. I skipped right over the last sentence in the OP: "I live in the state of Arizona." Please disregard the NCGS references.

stuart

I don't know what the maximum sentence was. It was a LONG time ago lol. It was a Felony conviction because it was found in the vehicle I was driving. No jail time except for overnight to wait for my bail to arrive. My vehicle was NOT impounded but released to a friend that drove it home for me. only a fine and 2 years probation which was paid and ended in 1999.

stuart

The disposition was guilty, with "unsupervised probation" and a fine of $1100.00

Stuart.

stuart

you left out the rest of that quotation...... "It is it's natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusetts: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order". 😁 I am going to see a lawyer tomorrow morning, but whatever the outcome, im still going to try to get a CCW permit.

solus

stuart, me thinks asking about a CCW w/an olde drug conviction in NJ on the nation's premier Open Carry got you the attention you felt you needed or ever wanted in the last 22 years...oh except for the automatic notification from obtaining an AZ DL that you can vote...

now where did the "wand of wands" go in the harry potter series...oh ya...harry broke it into pieces and threw it away...
guess there isn't any magic left stuart...

stuart

Is it or is it not correct that a convicted felon can not vote or sit on a jury unless his basic civil rights have been restored.