• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Observer opinion piece

Liberty-or-Death

I'm interested in hearing analysis of the article and the facts and laws referenced therein.
http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com...e_call_to_disarm_abusers_still_pack_heat.html
My opinion is it could have easily been written by an MDA type. I noticed they talked about gun rights supporters but failed to talk to any. It did not escape my observation that the typical knee-jerk reaction to a gun law that failed to save lives can only be "bettered" by making more gun laws.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm interested in hearing analysis of the article and the facts and laws referenced therein.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours first.

Barring that, I'll share mine on receipt of my standard $100,000.00 fee for legal analysis. (That ought to cover the fines and expenses of defending myself against a charge of practicing law without a license.)

And how come lawyers and doctors get to charge money for practicing. Heck, we have to demonstrate minimum competency to drive a car unless we want to keep getting Learners Permits. Musicians practice before they step in front of a paying audience. Baseball players take batting practice before the game begins - once the umpire calls "Play ball!" they are doing it for real.

stay safe.

va_tazdad

I'll show you mine if you show me yours first.

Barring that, I'll share mine on receipt of my standard $100,000.00 fee for legal analysis. (That ought to cover the fines and expenses of defending myself against a charge of practicing law without a license.)

And how come lawyers and doctors get to charge money for practicing. Heck, we have to demonstrate minimum competency to drive a car unless we want to keep getting Learners Permits. Musicians practice before they step in front of a paying audience. Baseball players take batting practice before the game begins - once the umpire calls "Play ball!" they are doing it for real.

stay safe.

Because most of the individuals in the 2 professions mentioned DON'T HAVE A CLUE, and as such never get past the practice stage!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Because most of the individuals in the 2 professions mentioned DON'T HAVE A CLUE, and as such never get past the practice stage!

Ah soo, but they are professional practitioners - they get paid even when they are wrong or make mistakes.....yes? :p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Trying (not too hard) to get on track - wonder if the drive-by poster had any opinion on the matter before he asked us to give him one.

I don't mind sharing and comparing opinions. As much as I know that if I give someone my opinion to hold as their own they will then also be right* about the issue, I do not like it when they don't come out and say "I don't know what to think about this because .... Help me figure out what to think about it".

stay safe.

* - I'm never wrong. There are times I may be less right than other people.

Liberty-or-Death

Please please forgive such a brief post, I was busy and didn't want to forget to ask about it, thought I'd come back later, read and talk more, maybe edit the OP, and so now I have.

I don't like it when motives are second guessed in this 2D world, but understand it happens. Luckily, no one is responsible for what I don't like but me.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Let us start at the beginning:

Va. one of few states to allow domestic abusers to keep guns

Where/what/why are domestic abusers in other states not allowed to keep guns?

Wikipedia is as good a place as any to startt from:

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban often called "the Lautenberg Amendment" ("Gun Ban for Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence", Pub.L. 104–208,[1] 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9)[2]) is an amendment to the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997 enacted by the 104th United States Congress in 1996, which bans access to firearms by people convicted of crimes of domestic violence. The act is often referred to as "the Lautenberg Amendment"

Go search the Code of Virginia of 1950, As Amended. Find a law that prohibits "domestic violence".

I'll save you the time and trouble - there isn't one. "Domestic violence" is not a crime in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Go here (the new and improved site) http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode and search for the term "spousal abuse" [obviously without the quotation marks]. What do you get? Let me save you the time doping it yourself - you get nada. Zilch. Zip. Try it again with the search term "Domestic Violence". Any success with that? Nope!

So while we may "know" what the Lautenberg Amendment is talking about, the truth of the matter is that it just flat does not apply in Virginia. Another one of those cases where legal construction holds that the legislative body must have known what it was doing when it chose the words to describe what they were talking about or else they would have written something else.

I'm going to let you look up the bills the article discusses. Then think about stripping a person of an enumerated Constitution right for the conviction of a misdemeanor offense, and how even the Virginia General Assembly responded to that notion.

Screw
"Opposition to changing the law, she said, seems to stem in part from the General Assembly’s “sense that firearms are part of a basic human right,” even for those who have demonstrated violent tendencies toward family members.

That’s also the sense of groups that have opposed those bills.

If Lautenberg wanted to strip away rights "properly" and "correctly" he could have created a federal felony offense of "domestic violence" and let the federal courts get tied up in prosecuting those cases. Instead, he took a shortcut. A shortcut that his legislative GPS did not show did not exist in Virginia.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
somewhat personal to the OP

Thanks for coming aback and fixing the drive-by issue.

The News Editor could have either had a news/analysis piece about why Virginia "domestic abusers" are still allowed to have guns, or a great editorial about why the General Assembly should change the law by adding the crime of "misdemeanor domestic violence" so that these evil, nasty, hurtful people could be stripped of an enumerated Constitutional right on conviction of a misdemeanor offense.

Instead, he presents us with a screed against the uncaring, probably immoral, folks with such a fixation on guns that they will not "see the light".

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for coming aback and fixing the drive-by issue.

The News Editor could have either had a news/analysis piece about why Virginia "domestic abusers" are still allowed to have guns, or a great editorial about why the General Assembly should change the law by adding the crime of "misdemeanor domestic violence" so that these evil, nasty, hurtful people could be stripped of an enumerated Constitutional right on conviction of a misdemeanor offense.

Instead, he presents us with a screed against the uncaring, probably immoral, folks with such a fixation on guns that they will not "see the light".

stay safe.

He is blinded by his own light......no matter how dim and misdirected it may be. It is his light and he will contiue on the path he wishes to travel.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He is blinded by his own light......no matter how dim and misdirected it may be. It is his light and he will contiue on the path he wishes to travel.
He's probably a dog hunter. They're a little slow understanding rights and laws. Probably from all that time sitting in their pickups sniffing exhaust.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know deer hunters, turkey hunters, and rabbit hunters, but not dog hunters. When does the season open......or are they (the dog hunters) a nuisance species?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know deer hunters, turkey hunters, and rabbit hunters, but not dog hunters. When does the season open......or are they (the dog hunters) a nuisance species?

They are a nuisance but they are also endangered so the government tries to protect them. Isn't working though.

twoskinsonemanns

He's probably a dog hunter. They're a little slow understanding rights and laws. Probably from all that time sitting in their pickups sniffing exhaust.

Geez You are really hung up on dog hunters.
I know as part of the OCDO Trinity you're largely exempt from the rules but seriously let it go. We all understand you don't approve of the completely legal act of dog hunting. We get it. Let it go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know as part of the OCDO Trinity you're largely exempt from the rules but seriously let it go. We all understand you don't approve of the completely legal act of dog hunting. We get it. Let it go.
You misjudge Peter and his status.

Peter has and continues to lobby hard both at our General Assembly and with gun groups to improve the lot of all legal hunters.

What is missed by those not having all of the story/background is that illegal hunting, trespass, destruction of property, and much more that has been documented is what Peter finds so distasteful and to what he refers.

Not unlike other rights, dog hunters rights end where others rights begin.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Once again pretending that there is a possibility of getting the thread drift back on course -

jut so I can feel all smug at stuff: show of hands - how many knew beforehand that there is no crime of "domestic violence" in Virginia?

Another show of hands: how many know why the Va courts stopped submitting names of people to the Lautenberg Amendment database?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

It has nothing to do with the trinity. I probably have more edited, deleted or butt chewed than anyone here....I just don't blubber about it.
I believe in rights, all rights including and especially the rights of property owners. Now nothing I say here will change trespassing, poaching,etc any more than it will change illegal local ordinances, police misconduct or the need to change other laws. I work in other areas for that and yeah, there are a lot of things I could let go. Better solution though, if you don't like what I say, the ignore feature works very well.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Once again pretending that there is a possibility of getting the thread drift back on course -

jut so I can feel all smug at stuff: show of hands - how many knew beforehand that there is no crime of "domestic violence" in Virginia?

Another show of hands: how many know why the Va courts stopped submitting names of people to the Lautenberg Amendment database?

stay safe.

I think many of us know it Skidmark's that doesn't do much to educate the author though. Philip could have jumped on it though.

twoskinsonemanns

Well excuse me. I suppose I was wrong. I apologize and encourage everyone to acknowledge my wrong. Especially everyone should overlook that EACH one of the holy OCDO trinity spoke up against my post. My apologies. We are all one in the same.