• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Liberty Lake

Jeff Hayes

I have been working on getting the City of Liberty Lake to update their laws to come into compliance with state law for about 6 months tonight I recieved an email from Chief Brian Asmus stating that Liberty Lake has updated their ordnance to comply with state law at their last city council meeting. It is no longer unlawful to carry a firearm in city parks or on the Centennial trail under Liberty Lake laws.

We so often have negative interactions with our public officials I feel like I have to add a complement about Chief Asmus, he has been very responsive, very respectful and on top of my concerns. What a breath of fresh air he has been through out this process this is how a police chief should respond to a citizens concerns. My hat is off to Chief Asmus he is a rare public servant and has my support even though I do not live in Liberty Lake.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
I have been working on getting the City of Liberty Lake to update their laws to come into compliance with state law for about 6 months tonight I recieved an email from Chief Brian Asmus stating that Liberty Lake has updated their ordnance to comply with state law at their last city council meeting. It is no longer unlawful to carry a firearm in city parks or on the Centennial trail under Liberty Lake laws.

We so often have negative interactions with our public officials I feel like I have to add a complement about Chief Asmus, he has been very responsive, very respectful and on top of my concerns. What a breath of fresh air he has been through out this process this is how a police chief should respond to a citizens concerns. My hat is off to Chief Asmus he is a rare public servant and has my support even though I do not live in Liberty Lake.

It actually never was unlawful, as the Washington Pre-Emption statute has already repealed the law.

Difdi

Right you are, that is why I said under Liberty Lake laws.

Technically even under Liberty Lake laws it wasn't unlawful either, since the state law repealed it.

But getting them to change the signs and their files is a good accomplishment, since it keeps confusion down.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Technically even under Liberty Lake laws it wasn't unlawful either, since the state law repealed it.

But getting them to change the signs and their files is a good accomplishment, since it keeps confusion down.

You are correct, all this does is keep someone from going to jail and court unnecessarily and prevents the potential abuse even if the Cop knew better, the law was never valid.

Last edited: