• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Oberlin Parks Open Carry Education Event, 7 Sep and 15 Sep

BriKuz

It is my and my wife's intention to spend a large portion of the day in Oberlin (particularly Parks) on Saturday, September 7th AND Sunday, September 15th. The reasoning for the walk on the 15th is that the third reading of the City's change to the unlawful ban on firearms in City of Oberlin Parks. I would invite any and all to join us at Park Street Park at 11:00 on each day. My thinking is we can hang out in the park, lawfully open carrying, but we can also have groups walk down to Spring Street Park (less than 1/2 mile south) and/or into the downtown area, obviously avoiding Tappan Square. Actually, I don't KNOW that Tappan Square is off limits... I never saw any signs to that effect, so until someone in authority tells me, I must assume that an non-posted area is okay! :cool:

I look forward to seeing many of you there!

Also, once I get a few RSVPs, I will send a personal letter to area news outlets. I would appreciate it, if OCDO sees fit, that they might send out a release as well.

BriKuz

Clarification:

Start Time: 11:00 AM
Place: Park Street Park (across the street to the east from City Hall and the Police Department)
End Time: 2:00 PM or later...

We are bringing our little ones, and will probably be bringing snack food and/or a picnic lunch for ourselves... the goal is to show that lawful carry of firearms in the Parks is NOT dangerous to the community and to show help educate members of the community about the legality of Open Carry and the the requirements of Concealed Carry.

Grengore

Ill be there. Possibly with my lady as well. Looking forward to meeting some of the folks here who I feel I know already just through reading their posts!

eye95

Bri seems to be the only person who can manage to schedule events when I am not working. I can be there on the 15th.

Anyone up for some carpooling?

BriKuz

I would like to politely request that EVERYONE who attends this Saturday's meet act in a professional, calm, rational manner. There seems to be some indications that there could be a "protest" at the parks and around town. Everyone, please attempt to maintain a thick skin, and worry about having fun and educating those who ask questions.

Obviously, every person has the right to act as they see fit, but please CONSIDER what I'm saying.

Troy bilt

Has there been any local advertisement inviting the citizens of Oberlin to these events? I have a hard time believing there are more people in favor of fighting the state on there permeation laws ,and tossing a bunch of money down the tube.

I think it would be a good idea to have support and attendance of some of the local people of Oberlin.

BriKuz

yes, I personally know of two residents of Oberlin who are supposed to be going. Friend at work's nephew and nephew's wife... he said there may be more...

eye95

I don't know if this is what she meant, but this is what I took away:

"I have a right to your not exercising your rights."

That kind of attitude paradoxically means that folks only have the right to stop others from doing things. But, then, couldn't someone then demand that they not exercise their right to stop another from exercising his?

You cannot justify the exercise of rights to some. I wouldn't bother trying--unless they were legitimately curious and wanted to know; she wasn't and didn't. Just carry and let 'em fume to themselves.

See y'all a week from today.

BriKuz

Walked into the local grocery store... cashier says as I walk in the door: "We're sold out, gonna have to go into town..."

I'm like "hunh?"

Now, knowing my family's on the paper, I go to Circle K in town... guy in the parking lot looks at me, looks at his paper, the puts paper under arm and starts clapping. "Good Job, man! And tell your wife good job, too! Oh, but I got the last one"

So, I go to bell stores marathon... guy pumping gas and I were chatting about other stuff, then he looks close at me... "Are you the dude with the gun at the park?"
I told him "I guess so." He then said good job, and asked about gun laws while we pumped gas.

I went inside to see what the hubub was about, and the cashier tells me "You had BETTER buy one of those!" Then had an impromptu firearms laws class in the middle of the store (others kept coming in and asking more and more questions)

I'm so glad we are gaining opportunities to spread the good word about lawful carry!

BriKuz

At least one NEOCarry guy was there... I forgot his name! I'm so sorry, but I was getting hammered with protesters, reporters, saying hi to the 2a guys, and keeping up with my wife and daughter!

I think next Sunday may be interesting... :-O

BriKuz

I gave my wife a nightmare image.... MWSY, Chuck, Eye95, and me... in banana hammocks.... with sidearms... walking into the park to "Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO.... :shock:

Sunday might be big... I have heard about this story from Phoenix, AZ, Sandpoint, ID, and Cali....

Search "oberlin kuzawa" for news.... it was CRAZY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQQHcyMSocc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/09/citys_law_on_firearms_in_parks.html

http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/in...oard_roundtable_gun.html#incart_river_default

eye95

I guess the kids in the park need to be undefended targets, kinda like the students at Newtown. It is gun-controllers who (beside the actual shooter) are responsible for the deaths of those children and would be responsible for the deaths of children should they succeed in their goal of banning guns in parks and some nut decides to shoot up the undefended kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>