• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarity on State Law

Marc

I tend to travel into KS quite a bit, it takes me 5 minutes to leave my house and be in KS. I have read lots of conflicting information and can't find the statutes to read for myself. So please can someone clarify for me if Permitless CC applies just to residents or can MO residents have that right when we are in KS??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I tend to travel into KS quite a bit, it takes me 5 minutes to leave my house and be in KS. I have read lots of conflicting information and can't find the statutes to read for myself. So please can someone clarify for me if Permitless CC applies just to residents or can MO residents have that right when we are in KS??
"The bill, SB 45, allows any adult otherwise able to possess a handgun under state and federal laws to carry that gun concealed as a matter of course without a permit."
http://www.guns.com/2015/04/03/kansas-becomes-the-6th-constitutional-carry-state/

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Most courthouses have annotated statutes in their legal library. If you want to look further into the laws of KS, the statutes should be available to you.

Or you can post a question and hope that a person responds who actually knows the answer to your query. Its just the internet here.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2015_16/measures/documents/sb45_00_0000.pdf
Sec. 14. K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 75-7c21 is hereby amended to read as follows: 75-7c21. (a) An individual may carry a concealed handgun in the state capitol in accordance with the provisions of K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 75-7c01 et seq., and amendments thereto, provided such individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under either federal or state law.

What about open carry into the capitol?????

Marc

Thanks for the replies but, Geez their statutes are harder to read than the ones here in MO. I got nothing out of that hacked up document with hundreds of strikethrus. It still did not tell me if it was just for KS residents or not. If it did specify then I missed it. And sorry Grapeshot but Guns.com is a magazine, (media outlet) so I really do not take what they say as a way not to chance my freedom. I really just need clarity on this, I only really go to Elwood, Atchison, Wathena, and rarely Troy. So I don't really get to any courthouse to check the statutes. As far as I know the Doniphan County Courthouse is in Troy. I haven't been there in 5 years. And I really haven't been to Atchison in 3 years I was hoping to find the info online but maybe Gov. Brownback would respond with an answer if i email him??

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks for the replies but, Geez their statutes are harder to read than the ones here in MO. I got nothing out of that hacked up document with hundreds of strikethrus. It still did not tell me if it was just for KS residents or not. If it did specify then I missed it. And sorry Grapeshot but Guns.com is a magazine, (media outlet) so I really do not take what they say as a way not to chance my freedom. I really just need clarity on this, I only really go to Elwood, Atchison, Wathena, and rarely Troy. So I don't really get to any courthouse to check the statutes. As far as I know the Doniphan County Courthouse is in Troy. I haven't been there in 5 years. And I really haven't been to Atchison in 3 years I was hoping to find the info online but maybe Gov. Brownback would respond with an answer if i email him??

A local courthouse may have access to Westlaw or some other resource where you can find the relevant law and have links to some cases that may shed light on your queries. Sometimes judges do make decisions that appear to be just the opposite of what the law reads so you are wise to investigate.