• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clear/see through Rain Ponchos

Urban Youth

So let's say you're open carrying, and it starts raining. Clearly (no pun intended) putting on a rain poncho that is not clear would cover the gun and render it concealed. Would putting on a transparent rain poncho render the gun concealed? You can see the gun through the poncho, but technically it is covered and obstructed from view.

So would wearing a clear rain poncho require a CCW permit when open carrying? This is just a general question, I understand it depends on the definition of concealed in state law, but what's everyones take on it?

65153641.jpg

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I've thought about making a clear "pouch" or somesuch for my handgun, but have yet to do so.

In the absence of that, an actual clear poncho would work fine for OC, in my humble opinion (IMHO).

Urban Youth

Do not cover an openly carried EDC gun for all the same reasons as the criticisms of concealing. No modern gun will be harmed by a wetting and quality guns can be wetted with seawater / perspiration everyday without damage.

I carried my H&K everyday for ten years while I intensely excercised and perspired. Everyday when I got home I could shake perspiration out of the gun before I stripped it and wiped it dry. The only time the gun was lubricated was before a planned trip to the range.

I'm not saying wear the poncho to protect the gun, I'm saying wear the poncho because I don't want to get wet.

WalkingWolf

I think it would depend on the state. Covered is not concealed if the firearm is visible, IMO. Most states have concealed carry laws, not covered carry laws.