• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

closed threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

g21sfpistol

Banned
im finding it funny that 2 threads have been closed all because i made conversation with only a few civilized people on here. im sure this will be the third one closed, because the truth stick hurts. apparently you cant have a civilized conversation on here with the opposing line of thinking. well you can with a few on here. otherwise you get warned or a thread gets closed down. this country was built on civilized conversation between parties. looks to me some people here have forgotten how to be civil.

Bernymac

Actually, this country was built upon an inordinate amount of bloodshed and sacrifice.
How do you expect civility when one group of people or one individual insist that their belief is the only "truth"?
How do you expect a two way street when one individual only want to go one way?
How do you expect open-mindedness when one individual only mind their own?

Freedom1Man

im finding it funny that 2 threads have been closed all because i made conversation with only a few civilized people on here. im sure this will be the third one closed, because the truth stick hurts. apparently you cant have a civilized conversation on here with the opposing line of thinking. well you can with a few on here. otherwise you get warned or a thread gets closed down. this country was built on civilized conversation between parties. looks to me some people here have forgotten how to be civil.

You finally found a mirror.

OC for ME

CC does not advance the cause of restoring liberty, as in restoring our unfettered right to carry as we see fit. CC, permissive carry for the vast majority of citizens, is the only manner of carry for those citizens. Carry, where permitted, is good, all citizens who choose to carry should as they see fit. Advancing the opinion that CC is the superior manner of carry is not supported by any evidence. Advancing the opinion that CC is the superior manner of carry on a dedicated OC forum is folly.

OC for ME

The closed thread you allude to were not closed because of the topic, but as a result of the train wreck that they became, and rightly so. Sage advice, as well as explicit guidance was given, and subsequently ignored.....what outcome did you expect.

g21sfpistol

Banned
Actually, this country was built upon an inordinate amount of bloodshed and sacrifice.
How do you expect civility when one group of people or one individual insist that their belief is the only "truth"?
How do you expect a two way street when one individual only want to go one way?
How do you expect open-mindedness when one individual only mind their own?

and debate.
the only people who insist their belief is the only "truth" are a few on here. not once have i said "you should carry concealed period end of story" i have made statments for it and why i think it should be done. but thats nothing more than my statments, just like a OCer would state "i OC because..." i let people say what they want to say without insulting them or getting mad. i cant reply to their comments like they reply to mine? one claimed i wanted to harm people. even though i dont. yet they called me the troll and i got warned for breaking rule 16? isnt stating "i want to harm people" breaking rule 16 when i have made no such egregious claim? im pretty sure im on the good guy team. ive helped make elections happen in the middle east and offered aid. im pretty sure im somewhere on the "good guy side" ive been open minded. i even agreed with some people. but its hard to have a conversation when the clique of the fourm get offended and trolls to try to drive you away. one of them is a moderator so they block you or close down a thread because THEY dont agree with you, even though you werent even trying to talk with them to begin with.

g21sfpistol

Banned
The closed thread you allude to were not closed because of the topic, but as a result of the train wreck that they became, and rightly so. Sage advice, as well as explicit guidance was given, and subsequently ignored.....what outcome did you expect.

i tried to stay on topic as much as i could. it was a few others who were getting the conversation off topic. i wouldnt doubt if getting off topic was the goal to close down the thread because no one wants to listen to logic in a conversation. well some dont anyway.

Primus

i tried to stay on topic as much as i could. it was a few others who were getting the conversation off topic. i wouldnt doubt if getting off topic was the goal to close down the thread because no one wants to listen to logic in a conversation. well some dont anyway.

Ok so let's start fresh. What's the point/topic of this thread?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

g21sfpistol

Banned
CC does not advance the cause of restoring liberty, as in restoring our unfettered right to carry as we see fit. CC, permissive carry for the vast majority of citizens, is the only manner of carry for those citizens. Carry, where permitted, is good, all citizens who choose to carry should as they see fit. Advancing the opinion that CC is the superior manner of carry is not supported by any evidence. Advancing the opinion that CC is the superior manner of carry on a dedicated OC forum is folly.

so do you carry for protection or debate? like i said before i never stated you should CC end of story. i also understand OC is the only way some people can carry due to state laws. i would agree and not argue against OC at that point since that is your ONLY way to legally carry.

g21sfpistol

Banned
Ok so let's start fresh. What's the point/topic of this thread?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

haha well basically the other two got shut down and i felt the need to address it because i was cut off then warned about breaking rule 16. i must have been the only one breaking rule 16. of course i wouldnt have responded to a few of them any way because they were just trolling.

OC for ME

so do you carry for protection or debate? like i said before i never stated you should CC end of story. i also understand OC is the only way some people can carry due to state laws. i would agree and not argue against OC at that point since that is your ONLY way to legally carry.
I OC for educational purposes.

The rare occasions I am compelled by law to CC does not educate anyone.

My children see "daddy" with a pistol on his hip and they pay no more attention to "it" than they typically do to me, until I start yelling at them to pay attention, to me.

I desire my fellow citizens to pay me as little attention as do my kids.

CC does not educate my fellow citizens.

OC accomplishes the same thing that CC does, being armed for self defense and the defense of my family.

You attempting to convince me, and many here it seems, to not educate my fellow citizens is no different than you spitting into a gale force wind.

I direct your attention to what I refer to as the mission statement, of OCDO:

OpenCarry.org was founded in 2004 by Virginia residents John Pierce and Mike Stollenwerk to be a pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=26
Grapeshot attempted to explain to you that OCDO does not discourage any form of carry, or no carry at all. This is a OC centric forum. CC centric opinions, while welcome, are not give much credence regarding the use of a properly holstered firearm in a justified SD situation.

Welcome to OCDO.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The other one got locked while I was typing my reply to you.

I'll try to be as eloquent now as I was then... :)

You had mentioned that CC protects the masses because the bad guys don't know who is armed.

I will agree that it can have an effect here. But protecting the masses by being known to be blending in with them is not my chief concern. And not all bad guys put that much thought into their opportunistic assaults.

Open carry will deter an assault on me.

Never mind that it's just a far more comfortable way to carry a full-size sidearm. And a full-size sidearm is a lot easier to shoot more effectively, often with more appropriate power, too, though this is among the least of its benefits.

Rusty Young Man

and debate.
the only people who insist their belief is the only "truth" are a few on here. not once have i said "you should carry concealed period end of story" i have made statments for it and why i think it should be done. but thats nothing more than my statments, just like a OCer would state "i OC because..." i let people say what they want to say without insulting them or getting mad. i cant reply to their comments like they reply to mine?one claimed i wanted to harm people. even though i dont. yet they called me the troll and i got warned for breaking rule 16? isnt stating "i want to harm people" breaking rule 16 when i have made no such egregious claim? im pretty sure im on the good guy team. ive helped make elections happen in the middle east and offered aid. im pretty sure im somewhere on the "good guy side" ive been open minded. i even agreed with some people. but its hard to have a conversation when the clique of the fourm get offended and trolls to try to drive you away. one of them is a moderator so they block you or close down a thread because THEY dont agree with you, even though you werent even trying to talk with them to begin with.

The reason for that is because your choice of words is representative of what some call "bloodlust", anxiously awaiting an opportunity to use the firearm on another human being:
g21sfpistol said:
negative sir. i just blend in and appearing to be something I'm not. who's crapping their pants when all of a sudden the guy who thinks he has you pegged, is now looking down the barrel of your gun?

Then you go on to insult us with a simile of OC in the same post:
g21sfpistol said:
...having a gun on your hip OCin is like a chick sitting at a bar drinking capt. and coke with a tattoo on her lower back. bullseye!

Which has been debunked. The biggest flaw is your assumption that criminals would eliminate armed resistance first instead of wanting to avoid armed resistance.
1) criminals are generally not soldiers. The mindset isn't "complete the mission at all costs", it is closer to "get in, get out. Don't get caught, don't get shot.". It behooves the criminals NOT to be caught in the act, since they may wish to get the chance savor the fruits of their ill intent.
2) even mass murderers do not fit this description, since their goal is to murder as many people as possible, and the possibility of armed resistance reduces their potential gain; it is a simple cost-benefit analysis.
3) the ones that have a death wish or seek vendetta do fit the scope of your original assumption in that they have no qualms about an extended firefight if they seek to go out "guns blazing", but again, they have a death wish or seek vendetta, so are more likely to be targeting their victims instead of the bank robbers used in your example.

g21sfpistol

Banned
I OC for educational purposes.

The rare occasions I am compelled by law to CC does not educate anyone.

My children see "daddy" with a pistol on his hip and they pay no more attention to "it" than they typically do to me, until I start yelling at them to pay attention, to me.

I desire my fellow citizens to pay me as little attention as do my kids.

OC accomplishes the same thing that CC does, being armed for self defense and the defense of my family.

You attempting to convince me, and many here it seems, to not educate my fellow citizens is no different than you spitting into a gale force wind.

I direct your attention to what I refer to as the mission statement, of OCDO:

Grapeshot attempted to explain to you that OCDO does not discourage any form of carry, or no carry at all. This is a OC centric forum. CC centric opinions, while welcome, are not give much credence regarding the use of a properly holstered firearm in a justified SD situation.

Welcome to OCDO.

CCers have been known to hand out flyers. wouldnt that have the same affect? where i believe you are wrong is carrying because you want to educate people. NOTHING wrong with educating people, but i dont think you should need your gun to do it. i believe that you should carry a gun for only one reason (OC or CC) and thats to defend ones life or family. yes you did say you also carry for defensive purposes, but i dont believe a gun is a good tool to educate people about guns or the law. especially if they are already afraid of it to begin with.

Rusty Young Man

The other one got locked while I was typing my reply to you.

I'll try to be as eloquent now as I was then... :)

You had mentioned that CC protects the masses because the bad guys don't know who is armed.

I will agree that it can have an effect here. But protecting the masses by being known to be blending in with them is not my chief concern. And not all bad guys put that much thought into their opportunistic assaults.

Open carry will deter an assault on me.

Never mind that it's just a far more comfortable way to carry a full-size sidearm. And a full-size sidearm is a lot easier to shoot more effectively, often with more appropriate power, too, though this is among the least of its benefits.

Criminals fear armed citizens. This has already been documented:
http://www.examiner.com/article/what-really-scares-criminals-armed-citizens

Or from the horse's mouth (so to speak; skip to 7:12):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVK1xQoxhPI
[video=youtube;xVK1xQoxhPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVK1xQoxhPI[/video]

By extension, criminals should have even more reason to fear a citizen they KNOW is armed.

Rusty Young Man

CCers have been known to hand out flyers. wouldnt that have the same affect? where i believe you are wrong is carrying because you want to educate people. NOTHING wrong with educating people, but i dont think you should need your gun to do it. i believe that you should carry a gun for only one reason (OC or CC) and thats to defend ones life or family. yes you did say you also carry for defensive purposes, but i dont believe a gun is a good tool to educate people about guns or the law. especially if they are already afraid of it to begin with.

Education is a secondary bonus to the protection of family and self, as well as helping you stand straight if you tend to lean towards your weak side (so it's orthopedic, guns are the cure :lol:).

In all seriousness though, the masses might benefit more if they SEE a citizen is armed, and yet goes about his daily routine without going on a killing spree or having the gun leap out of its holster and attack little kids. We desensitize them to OC, and they realize that armed Law-Abiding Citizens are just that, ARMED Law-Abiding Citizens.

OC for ME

OC accomplishes the same thing as CC, SD. OCing also does that which CC can not do, is not intended to do, educate, which a fairly famous member here has stated:

We desensitize them to OC, and they realize that armed Law-Abiding Citizens are just that, ARMED Law-Abiding Citizens. - Rusty Young Man (March 2014)
Passing out flyers is a worthy work. But, I do not dedicate my energies to spreading "the word" by flyer. Me OCing, in my view, accomplishes the same thing as passing out flyers, yet far less intrusive.

g21sfpistol

Banned
Criminals fear armed citizens. This has already been documented:
http://www.examiner.com/article/what-really-scares-criminals-armed-citizens

Or from the horse's mouth (so to speak; skip to 7:12):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVK1xQoxhPI
[video=youtube;xVK1xQoxhPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVK1xQoxhPI[/video]

By extension, criminals should have even more reason to fear a citizen they KNOW is armed.

yes but that just proved my point. the criminal said when you dont know what to expect out of them it makes it harder. that video just helped prove my point in what i have been saying.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
yes but that just proved my point. the criminal said when you dont know what to expect out of them it makes it harder. that video just helped prove my point in what i have been saying.

"Harder" is a relative term.

Not knowing who is carrying is harder for the criminal than knowing all are unarmed, yes. No one can dispute this.

What you are ignoring is that knowing a certain individual is armed is harder for the criminal to pick that person out of a crowd of only potentially armed victims.

A person is safer if there are known to be armed people around him.

The visibly armed person is the safest, however.

g21sfpistol

Banned
OC accomplishes the same thing as CC, SD. OCing also does that which CC can not do, is not intended to do, educate, which a fairly famous member here has stated:

Passing out flyers is a worthy work. But, I do not dedicate my energies to spreading "the word" by flyer. Me OCing, in my view, accomplishes the same thing as passing out flyers, yet far less intrusive.

but in order to start changing things is to change the people who are scared of guns and think "guns are bad" because they are the opposition. they will be harder to sway. a person openly carrying the very thing they fear, i dont believe, will help sway their decistion. people who are on the fence may be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.