• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cobra CA380 VS Hi-Point 380

Jamesm760

Life death situation, those 2 are infront of you. which one would you pick up? Would you attempt to fire it, or immediately throw it at the BG?

pkbites

I just had a conversation with a guy who has both Hi-Point pistols and rifles. He said he's put zillions of rounds through them, and though they are ugly and heavy, they do what they're supposed to: shoot bullets.

The only person I know of that's owned a Cobra (it was the 9mm Patriot) said it was a piece of junk.

So based on these two things I would take the Hi-Point.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hi-point- I have heard that they function well despite their less than pleasant looks.

I have never heard anything nice said about a Cobra.

Next question, where the heck am I that these are my only two options?

FreeInAZ

Never owned a cobra, but I own 4 hi-points (2 45acp pistol's [mod JHP] & the 45 carbine TS4595) and one old full size 9mm JS9. All shoot straight & go bang when the trigger is squeezed. I like them. I also own some high end guns too. For what they are, & from my experience, I'd pick Hi-Point. :D

Jamesm760

Well it's settled then! In this what if scenario, hi-point it is then. :D

Yea from all the reviews I read and videos I looked at.

Cobra CA380: Jams every other round.

Hi-Point 380: Jams every other 3 rounds.

I would take the highpoint

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Yea from all the reviews I read and videos I looked at.

Cobra CA380: Jams every other round.

Hi-Point 380: Jams every other 3 rounds.

I would take the highpoint

Well you must not have seen this video ;). Both pistols are the HP 380 & 9mm cals.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

A long series of flat out abuse & the hi-points kept running - bolcked barrels, double charges, ran over by truck. Worth watching the whole group of video's of these guys try to destroy the hi-point, which they could not. :p

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Well you must not have seen this video ;). Both pistols are the HP 380 & 9mm cals.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

A long series of flat out abuse & the hi-points kept running - bolcked barrels, double charges, ran over by truck. Worth watching the whole group of video's of these guys try to destroy the hi-point, which they could not. :p

Two things I can tell you about the 9mm (380 use same platform/mags). They do not like to be limp wristed, so if you have sissy wrist avoid.
Some who have had feed issues say - a simple tweak of the mag feed lips fixes it. Had my 9 for 20yrs now - zero issues until I cracked the alloy frame (don't ask - my fault, not guns) sent it back to HP they rebuilt it with all new parts & repalced all old mags with new ones. Even sent me an extra new mag to cover shipping. Runs like a top. Are there better guns out there? For sure - yes. Better warranty, customer service - doubt it.

Last edited:

Michigander

Never owned a cobra, but I own 4 hi-points (2 45acp pistol's [mod JHP] & the 45 carbine TS4595) and one old full size 9mm JS9. All shoot straight & go bang when the trigger is squeezed. I like them. I also own some high end guns too. For what they are, & from my experience, I'd pick Hi-Point. :D

Based in part on having shot one of yours, I'd pick a hi point too.

45 Hi Points are in fact, for my purposes, the second nicest shooting handguns I've ever fired, the only nicer ones being highly tweaked M&P 9's. :eek:

Last edited:

kurt555gs

I'm trying to decide between a Hi Point 45 and a Kimber Super Carry Custom 1911.

Carthago Delenda Est

FreeInAZ

I'm trying to decide between a Hi Point 45 and a Kimber Super Carry Custom 1911.

Carthago Delenda Est

Get the high- point... if you don't like it at least you only spent less than $200

Great point! I own a FNH FNX (standard) 45acp (15+1) it's a fine pistol! And yes it is slightly more accurate for me at the range - better trigger & ergo. However the hi-point 45 accepts a 14rd pro-mag mag giving it a (14+1) capacity. So basically you have similarly capable pistols both USA made. One for sub $200 + $30 for a hi-cap mag. vs. a $800 pistol. Both great shooters. Which one would I take into the ruff & tumble, on a boating trip, etc... where damage or loss could occur? You can guess... :p

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Based in part on having shot one of yours, I'd pick a hi point too.

45 Hi Points are in fact, for my purposes, the second nicest shooting handguns I've ever fired, the only nicer ones being highly tweaked M&P 9's. :eek:

Damn man! That was a fun day. Doing real world tactical shooting. Thanks for letting me shoot your Sig 45acp. Another fine gun. I am still not as good as you are at the retreat while maintaining site picture / firing over shoulder drill (yes people he hits the target - usually near the 10 ring from 7 to 10 yards + ) mad skills Sir!

You gotta get out here so we can do some desert combat drills. :D. :banana:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

To all the Hi-Point doubters out there...

From a recent range trip with a Hi-Point 45

Story - I shot first six shots to make smiley @ 21ft (7yrds), then tried for the eye's of actual smiley target & missed once (cute girl watching...I choked). :)

Then moved target back to 50ft and inserted a hi-cap (14rd instead of 9) and went rapid fire. Then I brought the target back to 21ft to try out defense rounds shooting at 3x3" sticky notes. The hydra-shock shot more accurate, but I had two jams. The WWB JHP ran flawlessly without much loss of accuracy. Say what you will - my Hi-Points all run straight & true.
smiley21ftHP45-Copy_zps5a2c1ded.jpg
141HP45-Copy_zps98937b72.jpg
HP45_50ftRapid-Copy_zpsa9e0af72.jpg
HP45sticky21Ft-Copy_zps1943e35c.jpg

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Hi Point for sure. My second gun was a CF380, and I've owned the .45 model since then as well. Never a problem aside from balance issues. As for the Cobra, well, I'd choose my pellet gun over that.

FreeInAZ

Well to the OP's other point. Yes, once my Hi-Point was empty - I would not bat an eye at using it for a club, or chucking it at the bad guy. :D

What more could one ask for out of a sub $200 pistol? ;)

Jamesm760

Well to the OP's other point. Yes, once my Hi-Point was empty - I would not bat an eye at using it for a club, or chucking it at the bad guy. :D

What more could one ask for out of a sub $200 pistol? ;)

Sounds good.. I started this thread out as kind of a joke. Now i'm thinkin of buying a hi-point in 45... just to have it. Thanks for all your info.

MainelyGlock

Sounds good.. I started this thread out as kind of a joke. Now i'm thinkin of buying a hi-point in 45... just to have it. Thanks for all your info.

Not a bad idea at all. I kept mine as a trunk gun for quite awhile. Now people in the local classifieds here are trying to sell them for $300+ haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2