• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cold Medicine Registry

Badger Johnson

My apologies to Ruby, I probably won't do that. My sarcasm and the outrage of this stupidity got the best of me. For those that don't know me, my sense of humor is of the sarcastic nature. I just think that some govt control is getting out of hand.

It's a juvenile and ineffective law, and it's only natural to have a bit of a juvenile and ineffective response. The Math dealers will find other methods. Jeeze. It's not Rocket Surgery. :)

JoeSparky

Centurion
Why not be smart and purchase some ahead of time and have it on hand it will last forever. I am not talking about more than a package or 2.

But it DOES NOT "last forever." I know! They all have expiration dates on them and the various chemical compounds contained within may interact over time resulting in a change of potency.

The generic Dayquil/Nyquil type capsules when old get a white "frost" on them and they become very brittle.

One plastic bottle of a brand name cough control med (over the counter) actually ate through the bottom of the bottle and oozed a thick jelly across the shelf in my locker at work! It was several years PAST it's expiration date, however.

Some families are larger than others. Some families are more prone to nasal allergies than others. Sometimes you can find a large family with most of them having nasal allergies that are NOT seasonal in nature.

amlevin

One plastic bottle of a brand name cough control med (over the counter) actually ate through the bottom of the bottle and oozed a thick jelly across the shelf in my locker at work!

And you put stuff that does that in your body???;)

As for the Meth problem, sometimes I think Snohomish County could solve it there by putting a tall fence around Sultan.

JoeSparky

Centurion
And you put stuff that does that in your body???;)

As for the Meth problem, sometimes I think Snohomish County could solve it there by putting a tall fence around Sultan.

Nope, THAT stuff as referred to above was scraped up and then the shelf scrubbed clean. The offending failed container and the remains of the contents were disposed of in THE LAND FILL!

Jeff Hayes

But it DOES NOT "last forever." I know! They all have expiration dates on them and the various chemical compounds contained within may interact over time resulting in a change of potency.

The generic Dayquil/Nyquil type capsules when old get a white "frost" on them and they become very brittle.

One plastic bottle of a brand name cough control med (over the counter) actually ate through the bottom of the bottle and oozed a thick jelly across the shelf in my locker at work! It was several years PAST it's expiration date, however.

Some families are larger than others. Some families are more prone to nasal allergies than others. Sometimes you can find a large family with most of them having nasal allergies that are NOT seasonal in nature.

Joe Most non liquid medicines such as pills will last about 15 years before they degrade to the point of being useless. The expiration date is the date the manufacturer guarantees the product to be at full strength. If a drug company tested stuff to see how long it will last it would not hit the market until the product failed. Of course you have to store them properly very high or very low temps and/or moist conditions will wreak havoc on shelf life. I have been told that Tetracycline is an exception it becomes toxic at about 2 years.

I am not a Doc nor a Lawyer my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
TCN, ie tetracycline, is an antibiotic and should NOT be sitting in your cabinet 2 years after you were prescribed it. It, like all antibiotics, should be used completely up. Rarely over 30 days and the average is 3-10 days.

So there should not be any toxicity issues:)

Although I realize this is a drug thread and has nothing to do with guns or open carry, just thought I would mention that I have been using my Safariland ALS retention holster while riding my recumbent bicycle the last few weeks. Some of the bike trails are pretty bumpy where the roots are growing under the pavement, and the holster is taking quite a beating with the Kimber slapping around in it. It is working well and has held the gun securely with me lying on my back. As well, Centennial trail north out of Snohomish has signs up warning of Mountain Lions.

Well, so much for a thread hijack, back to the drug topic...........

Jack House

If I were a cashier and someone did this, I'd be more than happy to put it all away. After my shift, I'd write my representative and let them know my position on things.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Really, being a criminal for taking care of the sick?
No you wouldn't. Besides that, you should be writing your representative anyway. And if you're trying to say other cashiers would do as you say, they wouldn't. They would leave because their shift is over, if they're one of the unfortunate ones that has to sort through all that crap, they'd just get pissed. It doesn't effect day shift cashiers and effects more than just the closing customer service shift and night time cashiers, it also impacts the stockers, whom wouldn't know why you did that, just that you're an ass. And if someone did write to their representative how do they think they would respond? That is assuming they even saw your letter, they'd just ignore it. Oh no, little Johnny is whining about his work being a tad more difficult because of our war on drugs. Think they're really going to care that a store employee has a few more items to put away? If they truly believe in the law, they'll just see it as an acceptable compromise.

Besides that, you would also be inconveniencing the people behind you and the supervisor, as the cashier would be helpless to do anything until they can get a supervisor to cancel out the transaction. You'd be wasting your time and in the end the only thing that would be accomplished is ******* everyone off at you, not the law.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Well, when I started writing my post above, the thread was still in the WA open carry forum. When I posted, it had been moved to the social lounge, which completely negated my including an open carry topic in my post. So much for my attempt at humor......

I had not heard of this latest law passed quietly by the legislature, and I am supposed to be "in the loop" where drugs are concerned. Seems I have been writing my representatives a lot lately, and now I need to again even though it is likely a moot point.

If they are so worried about the misuse of these "dangerous" drugs, then the Feds need to put them in the Schedule 1-5 class of drugs and limit them to prescription only, rather than make criminals of people who want them for their families. That of course would completely mess with Health providers workdays, having to fill cold medicine prescriptions all day every day.

Orphans suggestion above:
Why not be smart and purchase some ahead of time and have it on hand it will last forever. I am not talking about more than a package or 2.
has validity. The drugs will last quite awhile, and potency drops off slowly after the expiration date so you could keep them for a reasonable time. Pick up a couple of boxes each month just prior to cold season and you will have 2 or 3 of boxes of nightime and 2 or 3 of boxes of daytime to keep in your medicine cabinet.

The most asinine thing about this law is that it goes into effect right as cold season starts.

Badger Johnson

At least some (most?) states let you purchase pseudoephedrine after signing a sheet, scanning ID, etc. Mississippi enacted a law recently that requires a prescription! :banghead:

No Doctor is going to write a prescription for simple p-eph, when he can (BIG PHARMA, hint, hint, in their pocket) write one for a much more expensive, Industry-backed high profit product with an enormous list of bad side-effects, with half the efficacy. (grrr, pet peeve).

Metalhead47

No Doctor is going to write a prescription for simple p-eph, when he can (BIG PHARMA, hint, hint, in their pocket) write one for a much more expensive, Industry-backed high profit product with an enormous list of bad side-effects, with half the efficacy. (grrr, pet peeve).

That's right! IT's all a VAST RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY!

Facepalm.jpg

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran

Badger,
Please tell us what drug that would be?? I would like to know.

All the prescription drugs for nasal decongestion that have the potential for meth, use the same pseudoephedrine/phenylephrine drugs that you buy over the counter. The prescription dose is just higher. Similar to the OTC meds, it will include higher doses of the antihistamine or Rx only antihistamines, or will be combined with an expectorant (guaifenesin or anti cough Dextromethorphan in the same OTC doses you can buy) or include schedule drugs (codeine or hydrocodone) for cough, which you can't get OTC and work much better than Dextromethorphan.

To be honest, the high profit prices are on the multitude of OTC cold and flu medicines!

Your pet peeve is well justified for many of the more serious maladies that befall us, but cold medicine is just cold medicine. No big advances in that field of study for quite some time.

Hell of an interesting discussion for a gun forum.......

MKEgal

Several ways around the government-intrusion problem.

1) Use an ID that can't be scanned &/or doesn't have your address. Once when I was out of town & needed decongestant I used my military ID... the clerk was clearly puzzled. :D She turned the clipboard around to me & had me write in the address, which I made up.

2) On a similar note, buy on base if you can.

3) Go to a dollar store or odd lots / closeout sort of place. I got *cough* several *cough* boxes with no ID, no signature, etc., for 50c each. Ditto for cough syrup, immodium... Yes, they were slightly out of date (a month?), but they're sealed.

And the real solution:
4) Complain to your elected reps. Unelect them if they won't pay attention.
Applicable to any issue.

Kirbinator

+1

IT's not the checker's fault, the store's fault, or the company's. They're merely complying with a fascist law cooked up by statists who think they can stop a tweaker from tweaking who really wants to tweak. Y'know, cuz such mentality worked out sooooo well during the 1920's. The drug war crowd has obviously done their research and humbly learned from the lessons of history. :banghead:

Oh, but wait -- the police used the BAR and M2 .50BMG against Bonnie & Clyde, and Al Capone carried a Thompson sub-machine-gun.

And they outlawed those, so now you either have to have one made before 1986 (and very costly) or an illegal one.

PS: RE: CFL's. Love these things. Break them regularly. Sweep them up into the trash. I've also been known to giggle maniacally while cracking open a fitting and releasing automotive A/C refrigerant into the air. And letting the oil drain out onto the dirt. :lol:

LOL. Used motor oil is an excellent insect repellent. Keeps the ants out of the ground and from invading parked cars.

Sweet, a man after my own heart. You will need to come over the next time I bag a whooping crane, they taste kind of like a cross between a bald eagle and a spotted owl!

We've run out of Indians (feather not dot), but now you can make a PETA supporting vegan cry.

I've never understood the mentality of going unarmed when wild animals are present -- human or not.

SavageOne

I have suffered from acute bronchitis for most of my life. The only thing that will truly open me up is ephedrine. Back in the day it was easy, buy a bottle of Mini Thins about twice a year and it handled the flare ups. For years the FDA told supplement makers they could not claim any medical benefits to their products(according to the FDA only "drugs" can be said to cure something, so you can't tell someone with scurvy to suck a lemon without violating Federal Statues), the makers said fine then you can't regulate us. The FDA was fine with this until they saw that the supplement market was a BILLION dollar a year market. They tried to regulate ephedrine for years. There would be one or two deaths a year from people abusing ephedrine and the government would claim it needed to ban or regulate ephedrine. Then came Meth and they got their wish, for the most part. Bye Bye to the cheap and easily accessible relief I was use to. I was left with Primatene Mist at $16.00 a bottle. That also ends this year, not because of ephedrine, but because of a U.N. treaty to end CFC's. This will leave me now needing to get a prescription and pay $40.00 for an inhaler.

The real problem I have is, that making Mini Thins illegal and banning ephedrine didn't put an end to Meth. It only drove the cost for me to treat my breathing disorder up.
There's government efficiency for you.

Metalhead47

I have suffered from acute bronchitis for most of my life. The only thing that will truly open me up is ephedrine. Back in the day it was easy, buy a bottle of Mini Thins about twice a year and it handled the flare ups. For years the FDA told supplement makers they could not claim any medical benefits to their products(according to the FDA only "drugs" can be said to cure something, so you can't tell someone with scurvy to suck a lemon without violating Federal Statues), the makers said fine then you can't regulate us. The FDA was fine with this until they saw that the supplement market was a BILLION dollar a year market. They tried to regulate ephedrine for years. There would be one or two deaths a year from people abusing ephedrine and the government would claim it needed to ban or regulate ephedrine. Then came Meth and they got their wish, for the most part. Bye Bye to the cheap and easily accessible relief I was use to. I was left with Primatene Mist at $16.00 a bottle. That also ends this year, not because of ephedrine, but because of a U.N. treaty to end CFC's. This will leave me now needing to get a prescription and pay $40.00 for an inhaler.

The real problem I have is, that making Mini Thins illegal and banning ephedrine didn't put an end to Meth. It only drove the cost for me to treat my breathing disorder up.
There's government efficiency for you.

Perhaps so, but in the big picture that's such a minor inconvenience for you, and then all those necessary federal regulations stop people from doing all that nasty meth and making really bad men rich...

...don't they?