• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop kills double amputee in wheelchair

Ca Patriot

You cant make this stuff up

http://news.yahoo.com/houston-officer-kills-double-amputee-wheelchair-222540280.html

HOUSTON (AP) — A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.

Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.

She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.

"Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I'm trying to undestand how 2 men with all their limbs can not disarm a double amputee in a wheelchair waving a pen. This is F***ing rediculous.

sharkey

I'm trying to understand who can't tell the difference between a firearm and a pen at 1 foot???

The article said nothing about him waiving a firearm. Metal object could be knife ...... but at inches to a foot I think you could tell the difference still.

They should have knocked him over if they were really worried.

Maine Expat

I'm trying to undestand how 2 men with all their limbs can not disarm a double amputee in a wheelchair waving a pen. This is F***ing rediculous.

Maybe the cops actually believed the pen is mightier than the sword?

Totally ridiculous action on their part. If two capable cops can't subdue and disarm a double amputee they should go back to flippin burgers at McDs. IF McDs would hire such idiots that is.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I hope the cop gets a long jail sentence. He deserves it.

What folks aren't realizing about this is that it could very easily have been a needle, and needles often contain HIV, which is deadly. Many insulin level checkers are shaped like pens, as well. Shape doesn't matter. What matters is function and the fact that there's a serious HIV risk with anything having to do with blood.

If someone came at you with something that looked like it might be a needle, would you fire on him? I sure as hell would.

Stop being so damned myopic, thinking about the man's disability, or the fact that he was a vet.

Bottom line: He was going after the cop, and the cop defended himself. End of story.

This forum has gone beyond ridiculous, when people can no longer see the other side of the coin. I'm outta here.

Last edited:

papa bear

What folks aren't realizing about this is that it could very easily have been a needle, and needles often contain HIV, which is deadly. Many insulin level checkers are shaped like pens, as well. Shape doesn't matter. What matters is function and the fact that there's a serious HIV risk with anything having to do with blood.

If someone came at you with something that looked like it might be a needle, would you fire on him? I sure as hell would.

Stop being so damned myopic, thinking about the man's disability, or the fact that he was a vet.

Bottom line: He was going after the cop, and the cop defended himself. End of story.

This forum has gone beyond ridiculous, when people can no longer see the other side of the coin. I'm outta here.

come on what (p)wussy is going to shoot someone they could just knock over.

EMNofSeattle

Assault with the means to infect someone with HIV is assault in the first degree here in WA

If officer said he was specifically fearing HIV infection that would be one thing, but he was afraid of a weapon that is not that effective when wielded by a disabled guy. Without the HIV angle no deadly force exists and when in a wheel chair disparity of force does not exist

davidmcbeth

Banned
Assault with the means to infect someone with HIV is assault in the first degree here in WA

If officer said he was specifically fearing HIV infection that would be one thing, but he was afraid of a weapon that is not that effective when wielded by a disabled guy. Without the HIV angle no deadly force exists and when in a wheel chair disparity of force does not exist

Well, the cop has to say something .. its a make believe defense, likely the result of a city brain trust ... it will not win the day.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
>Man tries to stab a police officer with an object
>Man trying to stab officer is within reach of the officer
>Officer kills man in self-defense
>OCDO is up in arms about it

Perhaps the officer didn't have time to realize it was a pen? Were you guys there? I wasn't. (I don't think anyone here was either.) If in a split second all you know is - someone is trying to stab you - of course you'd protect yourself.

BAHHH BUT WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST KNOCK HIM DOWN OR DISARM HIM - HE IS JUST A DOUBLE AMPUTEE

Check it out guys, he still has one leg, and he still has one arm - you don't need two arms to stab someone. Also, to "knock him down" they would have to get close enough to do such, close enough to the man trying to stab them. You don't have to love cops, but let's be reasonable here.

EDIT:

And even if it was a pen, is the officer supposed to allow him to stab him with a pen? I don't think it should be okay to stab anyone with anything. FWIW some pens nowadays are made for stabbing.
stabbing_pen.jpg

Should the officer had gotten a magnifying glass out to inspect the stabbing object while the man was trying to stab him? come on guys.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

I certainly hope you are wrong. Justice needs to prevail.

It wasn't a needle. Your assertion falls under the heading of "fallacy". "Well it coulda been's" are not acceptable rationalizations for the use of deadly force. This smacks of just another case of establishing dominance. Old, crippled, Vets, it don't matter. Dominate. At any cost. Preemptively shooting and killing citizens isn't OK. It seems that the only

The cop that did the shooting wasn't the cop that was out maneuvered by a double amputee in a wheel chair.

"The officers made verbal commands for the suspect to drop whatever he had in his hand, to stay still and to speak with the officers, but the suspect continued to make threats,".....uhm....the guy was a patient in a group home suffering from schizophrenia. He probably didn't get the memo in a way it registered to him that when police show up, you have a duty to submit or be shot in the head. Shooting patients in the head, fortunately, hasn't caught on as a disciplinary measure with most clinical settings.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/texas-amputee-shooting/index.html

I'm trying to picture how a wheelchair bound renegade could corner one cop in a manner that the cop's partner wasn't behind the renegade in the wheel chair. I'm wondering if the partner shot the wheel chaired renegade in the back of the head.

Another officer opened fire, saying was forced to take action, "fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety", after the man refused to calm down and remain still, police told AP.

http://rt.com/usa/news/houston-police-shoot-amputee-786/

I hope this approach to compliance doesn't catch on with school bus drivers. "Sit down and shut up or I'll blow your head off".

onestar 50

My wife read this to me last night and we were both out rage about it. They should have tazer him or use pepper spray and not use deadly force. Couldn't even the corner office take his foot and push the wheel chair away from him.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
My wife read this to me last night and we were both out rage about it. They should have tazer him or use pepper spray and not use deadly force. Couldn't even the corner office take his foot and push the wheel chair away from him.

Don't you hate sometimes you're never how really sure don't can't know care what I say?

MrDeeds_2.jpg

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
It wasn't a needle. Your assertion falls under the heading of "fallacy". "Well it coulda been's" are not acceptable rationalizations for the use of deadly force. This smacks of just another case of establishing dominance. Old, crippled, Vets, it don't matter. Dominate. At any cost. Preemptively shooting and killing citizens isn't OK. It seems that the only

The cop that did the shooting wasn't the cop that was out maneuvered by a double amputee in a wheel chair.

"The officers made verbal commands for the suspect to drop whatever he had in his hand, to stay still and to speak with the officers, but the suspect continued to make threats,".....uhm....the guy was a patient in a group home suffering from schizophrenia. He probably didn't get the memo in a way it registered to him that when police show up, you have a duty to submit or be shot in the head. Shooting patients in the head, fortunately, hasn't caught on as a disciplinary measure with most clinical settings.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/texas-amputee-shooting/index.html

I'm trying to picture how a wheelchair bound renegade could corner one cop in a manner that the cop's partner wasn't behind the renegade in the wheel chair. I'm wondering if the partner shot the wheel chaired renegade in the back of the head.

Another officer opened fire, saying was forced to take action, "fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety", after the man refused to calm down and remain still, police told AP.

http://rt.com/usa/news/houston-police-shoot-amputee-786/

I hope this approach to compliance doesn't catch on with school bus drivers. "Sit down and shut up or I'll blow your head off".

Can you tell us more of your first person account of the incident and the time line of how exactly everything went down?

It's not really preemptive if you're shooting someone who is already in the process of trying to stab you... but I WASN'T THERE...