• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Corporate Sporting Good Store Fires Heroic Manager for ASININE Reason!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"The manager of Tallahassee’s Academy Sports was fired Tuesday after tackling a suspect accused of stealing a handgun last week."

"The suspect also allegedly threatened to shoot people.“Academy has decided to, instead of treating him like the hero he is, they terminated his employment effective immediately because he put his hands on Mr. White,” Crouch’s attorney Ryan Hobbs said."

https://keepandbear.com/2a/corporate-sporting-good-store-fires-heroic-

Crouch had worked at the store for more than two years and is married with a family and now has way to support them.

solus

Personally, I find it distasteful the majority of the newspeek hype is coming from the ASSISTANT manager and his mouthpiece attorney.

Further, while this event transpired less than a month ago, yet one news’ article states the assisant manager has had to put their residence on the market to make ends meet? [ Really he is broke already missing house payments and such]

As in the ‘majority’ of this country’s states retailers have a broad base of statutes in dealing shoplifters, specifically, FL statute 812.015 (2)(c), states, quote: The taking into custody and detention by a law enforcement officer, merchant, merchant’s employee, farmer, or a transit agency’s employee or agent, if done in compliance with all the requirements of this subsection, shall not render such law enforcement officer, merchant, merchant’s employee, farmer, or a transit agency’s employee or agent, criminally or civilly liable for false arrest, false imprisonment, or unlawful detention. Unquote https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/florida/statutes/florida_statutes_812-015

So not sure the concept presented by newspeek media holds up the establishment is concerned about wrongful detainment!

Could it be, instead of what is being presented, this assistant manager is wrangling towards a ‘go-fund-me’ cash cow from the sympathized firearm community instead of being an employee terminated under the state’s ‘at will’ laws?

just saying

Last edited:

OC for ME

How much do you pay per month for health insurance for a family of four? How much is your house payment per month? How much are utilities, food, fuel, car payment, car insurance per month? How much of your pay is in your pocket every week after various taxes? Prescription medications, if any.

Are there more expenses per month other than the preceding? Perhaps...

Was he living beyond his means? Perhaps...

Do we know one way or the other? Time will tell...

solus

How much do you pay per month for health insurance for a family of four? How much is your house payment per month? How much are utilities, food, fuel, car payment, car insurance per month? How much of your pay is in your pocket every week after various taxes? Prescription medications, if any.

Are there more expenses per month other than the preceding? Perhaps...

Was he living beyond his means? Perhaps...

Do we know one way or the other? Time will tell...

Alas, just over two weeks since his incident, you need to put the house on the market?

media reports i referred to stated he has already gotten job offers and emailed Academy to reconsider, “hoping to go back” “I loved my job there” https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/academy-sports-employee-fired-for-tackling-would-be-gun-thief

the asst mgr’s attorney basically wrote this fox media snippet: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/1...ief-suspect-in-florida-store-lawyer-says.html

including his presumptive comment about the establishment concerned about repercussions from the BG for his detainment. Really, one would presume the attorney would be aware of the retail statutes in the state.

sorry the amount of self promotion family fotos from the Assistant Mgr & his lawyer as well as coupled with ‘at will” & FL retail statutes the ham & rye sandwich is rotten in Tallahassee!

personally, i’d be more concern of repercussions from the BG’s associates visiting the asst mgr at his home and the welfare of his family.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Any large corporation's shoplifting policy will be the same.

When I train new employees, I tell them that nothing someone can stick in their pants and walk out of the store with, is worth one minute of the legal department's time, and it's darn sure not worth anyone injured over.

solus

Supposedly the company hired the guy back.

Unable to find that story line but did see USA TODAY’s article which lends credence to the hypothesis the newspeek blitz was completely self serving as the article points out due to the high media/social media publicity, the assistant manager has numerous job offers, a KY go fund him started, as well as up to and including some citizens advocating a national boycott of the company.

On hopes his fame does not provoke others, more physically fit or armed, to personally challenge him in the race to the exit door in the near future.

On the other side of the story, the BG, quote: White posted $5,000 bail and was released from the Leon County jail on July 6. He faces three counts of grand theft of a firearm after being connected to the theft of two other guns from a pawn shop just hours before he entered Academy Sports. Unquote, is back with his hooligan associates!