• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco

dmatting

This may be covered in an old thread somewhere, but if anyone is not aware, Costco is completely anti-gun.

I've been in the N Durham store a number of times, they aren't posted. Even super busy times, like right before Christmas, and always OCing. Well, today I was asked to put my pistol in my vehicle as their rules deny carry, open or concealed, of any firearm unless you belong to the uber priveleged class called law enforcement. So I checked, sure enough, their member rules prohibit carry.

I asked the guy if they are going to guarantee my wife's and my safety if someone were to attempt to rob or cause any violence in the store. He said they would protect us to the best of their ability. So I asked if he would be the one taking the bullet. He didn't day much to that.

Anyway, the wife wasn't about to leave our cart that was packed full, so I took it to the truck and we finished getting what we needed. We will be letting the membership lapse and I'll be sending a letter letting them know why.

solus

yes and a well known fact they don't care if you drop your membership...

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
This may be covered in an old thread somewhere, but if anyone is not aware, Costco is completely anti-gun.

Define "completely anti-gun".

Yes, it has been well known for quite a while that buried somewhere in their membership contract is a "no guns in the warehouses" clause.

I personally think it takes a bit more than that to be "completely anti-gun".

Costco isn't posted. I'm not aware of any time in my State that they have lobbied for laws to infringe my RKBA or filed any amicus briefs in RKBA-related court cases. Ditto at the national level.

Here in Utah, at least, their warehouses routinely stock gun safes and the mil-std type ammo boxes.

They don't use metal detectors nor do any searches to prevent the carrying of firearms.

If I recall, Costco or Costco's owners made a campaign contribution to Obama. But I'm not aware of them making major contributions to gun grabbing politicians in general, nor the Brady Bunch nor other anti-RKBA/anti-self-defense organizations.

They appear to be nominally anti-gun. Not a shock considering their origins. But I don't think they qualify as "completely anti-gun".

I can fully respect those who choose to take their business elsewhere.

For me personally, their level of anti-RKBA doesn't rise to the level where it makes sense for me to boycott. And since their private policy has no backing of law in my State, I do not violate any laws by ignoring that policy.

What personal property I have inside my pocket or waistband is none of their business nor concern. Concealed means concealed in these cases where there is no violation of law.

And before I knew about the no-gun clause in the membership contract, I routinely OCd or casually concealed carry with nobody ever saying a word to me one way or the other. So whatever rules corporate has set, I suspect local management and employees are going to mirror the community in which they are located.

Charles

JoeSparky

Centurion
Regarding reports of Costco having an antigun policy:

I have heard reports of this from those I have no reason not to believe BUT, even after several trips over several years and shopping within the mentioned store at multiple locations in UTAH while OPENLY carrying my side-arm of choice I have NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE as they have never made a effort of any kind to inform me of this.

Last edited:

solus

this poor subject has been beat to death over the last several years under costco threads, under private property threads, and several other threads.

EVERYONE is well aware of your bloody position ~ yet again!

your admitted disregard for private property rights on a national public forum is quite a detriment for folks who might read your nonsense and fail to understand there could be consequences in their state for ignoring the owner's property policies regarding firearms.

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
this poor subject has been beat to death over the last several years under costco threads, under private property threads, and several other threads.

your admitted disregard for private property rights on a national public forum is quite a detriment for folks who might read your nonsense and fail to understand there could be consequences in their state for ignoring the owner's property policies regarding firearms.

And EVERYONE is well aware of your bigotries toward several things related to my person and that of other Utahns, and your butt soreness over the fact that in MY STATE of UTAH there is no violation of law, either civil or criminal for legally, discretely carrying a firearm in contradiction of a commercial business policy.

I have never related this incident without making very clear that I am speaking and operating within the laws of my particular State. Other posters from my State have done likewise in making very clear the particulars of the law and culture in Utah.

Private property rights for businesses are as defined in law. And in the Utah law, businesses have painfully little power to obtain any redress from a peaceful, non-disruptive customer who discretely ignores their anti-gun discrimination. When your concern for private property rights extends to the bigoted lunch counters of the Jim Crow South or racist HOA covenants of the North denied the ability to run their property as they see fit as racist bigots, you will have some credibility to worry about Costco in Utah and what I'm carrying inside my waistband. Until then, you are like the idiot partisans who love everything their guy does while condemning the same conduct on the other side of the aisle.

Get over it "himself alone". Don't like it, don't visit Utah. Put me on your "bloody" ignore list and stop acting like a sanctimonious, confrontational jerk house troll every time you are reminded that you are powerless to dictate my conduct in this or any other matter.

When you grow up enough to engage in civil discourse, demonstrate it. Until then, expect to held in the contempt you so richly earn, little man.

Last edited:

Maverick9

ipse

I agree with you on the 'disregard for PPR', but one wonders why Costco keeps its anti-firearm policies in an obscure location, often deep down inside some member agreement. In addition, I would guess in states where there is constitutional carry and 2A support there is almost no overt denial by that local Costco staff.

However, it makes sense to go to CC when using a store known to have anti-carry reputation, because the parking lot is a dangerous place.

solus

And EVERYONE is well aware of your bigotries toward several things related to my person and that of other Utahns, and your butt soreness over the fact that in MY STATE of UTAH there is no violation of law, either civil or criminal for legally, discretely carrying a firearm in contradiction of a commercial business policy.

SOLUS: so, if you have a signed legal contact based on due consideration being exchanged between parties and who both agree to the provisions of said contract, you feel there is no legal violation of the agreed upon contact if you 'discretely' do your cobtract violation? got it!

I have never related this incident without making very clear that I am speaking and operating within the laws of my particular State. Other posters from my State have done likewise in making very clear the particulars of the law and culture in Utah.

SOLUS: course the have, as you can speak for all the other posters from your state! got it!

Private property rights for businesses are as defined in law. And in the Utah law, businesses have painfully little power to obtain any redress from a peaceful, non-disruptive customer who discretely ignores their anti-gun discrimination. When your concern for private property rights extends to the bigoted lunch counters of the Jim Crow South or racist HOA covenants of the North denied the ability to run their property as they see fit as racist bigots, you will have some credibility to worry about Costco in Utah and what I'm carrying inside my waistband. Until then, you are like the idiot partisans who love everything their guy does while condemning the same conduct on the other side of the aisle.

SOLUS: got the concept in your humble and nonlegal opinion you feel you state's businesses have no legal standing!

Get over it "himself alone". Don't like it, don't visit Utah. Put me on your "bloody" ignore list and stop acting like a sanctimonious, confrontational jerk house troll every time you are reminded that you are powerless to dictate my conduct in this or any other matter.

SOLUS: darn, there goes the polite discourse you requested in another thread ~ huh!

When you grow up enough to engage in civil discourse, demonstrate it. Until then, expect to held in the contempt you so richly earn, little man.

SOLUS: see above comment about polite.

now mate, 'loosely Concealed' as you stated earlier, in most parts is considered flat out open carry.

further mate, you signed, of your own free will, a contract, paid due consideration to a corp enity and there are, even in your state, judicial recourse(s) for violating said contact. that nobody in your utopian state wishes to get cranky and push those recourses is not my concern.

now, mate, one point of clarification if i might inquire...

please, please tell this august group if you loosely conceal, or discretely carry on property when an enity, with whom you have no legal contract, only publishes in the state's newspaper that, 'ye shall not carry on church property!' do you abide by their guidance?

a further clarification, pray tell, mate, since the Mormon guidance (24series) says you can't have it on church property, do you even have your firearm stashed under your seat?

nice to see you raise and play the ethnic slurs as well as resorting to the playground tirade in your polite discourse...

ipse

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
now mate,

Since I have a pet troll, it is only fair I get to name it.

Dobby is a fine name for such a creature.

Dobby, you are again showing your anti-religious bigotry.

If I convince Grape to give you a sock, will you go away?

dobby-house-elf-15.jpg

Last edited:

solus

I agree with you on the 'disregard for PPR', but one wonders why Costco keeps its anti-firearm policies in an obscure location, often deep down inside some member agreement. In addition, I would guess in states where there is constitutional carry and 2A support there is almost no overt denial by that local Costco staff.

However, it makes sense to go to CC when using a store known to have anti-carry reputation, because the parking lot is a dangerous place.

i presume costco keeps it buried is the same reason most employers do...they do not want the controversial uprising(s) like starbuck, et al., endured.

ipse

solus

anti religious bigotry?

ya know, you might wish to re-read your post regarding out of the blue rants on bigotry, eh?

i asked a simple question of you, do you disregard the wishes of a known world wide entity who has approved policies in place regarding weapons on their property, who by the laws of your state has publicly published their policies regarding carrying of firearms on their property, in the same fashion as you do Costco?

oh, btw mate, my younger sister is truly distraught and terribly dismayed you took her picture while she was in her garment, thats kinda perverted, ya know!

not even a good try either...fail for originality!

ipse

OC for ME

Q: If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

A: Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer may assume you are carrying the gun illegally and may take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is recommended to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-fire...ed-firearm-permit-frequently-asked-questions/
Is this policy supported in statute? Do cops in Utah behave in such a manner? Is there an effort to change the policy/statute? Maybe utbagpiper provides sage advice regarding not visiting Utah.

Q: As a permit holder, exactly, where can I carry or not carry a handgun?

A: The concealed firearm permit allows an individual to carry a firearm fully loaded and concealed. The permit also allows an individual to carry a firearm into public schools. Permit holders can not carry a firearm into federal or state restricted areas i.e. any airport secured area, federal facilities, courts, correctional & mental health facilities, law enforcement secured areas, a house of worship or private residence where notice given and/or posted, any secured area in which firearms are prohibited and notice posted, or otherwise prohibited by state of federal law.

Q: What about private businesses? Can they post signs prohibiting someone from carrying a gun into their business even though the person has a concealed firearms permit?

A: Naturally, private property owners may apply whatever restrictions they want. Whether or not these restrictions violate one’s constitutional rights is for the civil courts to decide. But the only statutory restrictions on a permit holder are secured areas such as airports and federal buildings.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-fire...ed-firearm-permit-frequently-asked-questions/
Based on the above a armed citizen may carry into a private residence without the owners permission to do so.

solus

quote:

Houses of Worship Prohibiting Firearms on Premises

The following churches have notified BCI of their intent to prohibit firearms in their “houses of worship” in Utah.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Congregation Kol Ami
Instructions for notifying the Bureau of Criminal Identification of your intent to prohibit firearms.

Read Utah Code 76-10-530 regarding the prohibition of firearms by Utah houses of worship.

Per state statute, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made public notice on January 15, 2017 in the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News of their intent to prohibit firearms.

unquote https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-fire...-of-worship-prohibiting-firearms-on-premises/

utbagpiper

Banned

oh, btw mate, ...

Ah. Dobby confused. Dobby still being uncivil while expecting others to play nice with Dobby.

And Dobby too clever for his own good by a half.

If Dobby want civil dialogue with answers to his questions, Dobby gets to address people in the polite manner they request. Dobby also need to ask questions directly rather than beating around the bush.

But I feel bad for Dobby because his evil master won't release him.

So here is a gift for Dobby.

Dobby can now be free.

latest

Last edited:

solus

yet another foto of my sister in her garment...

strange perversion for a man of your age to engage in...

ipse