• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

could i carry in this place?

freedom1776

imported post

I am a ohio ccw liscense holder and i recently came to Kentucky for a family gathering. Anyways I don't know much about KY gun laws but I do know that my ccw liscense is good in KY.

Anyways here is the following scenario could you please advise me what I can and cannot do.

I went to the Newport Mall just over the river and I was in the Gameworks (video arcade) Now this arcade has a full bar in it so I didn't know if I could take my gun in so I didn't bring it with me. I did not see any signs anywhere thoughout that mall regarding firearms or in the Gameworks place. Also the bar did not have any signs around it about guns at all.

Givin the above scenario what could I do? CC/OC in the mall only? CC/OC in Gameworks?

thanks in advance

sccrref

imported post

This is a little dated but should be close. You can always google laws for the state and the code is 237.110.

Places off-limits while carrying

Date updated: Sep 29, 2005 @ 5:31 pm

PicExportError
Police station or sheriff's office.

PicExportError
Detention facility, prison or jail

PicExportError
Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).

PicExportError
County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings

PicExportError
General Assembly session, including committee meetings.

PicExportError
Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;

PicExportError
Elementary or secondary school facilities or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. The provisions of this section shall not apply to institutions of postsecondary or higher education. Note: Unlawful possession of a weapon on school property in Kentucky is a felony punishable by a maximum of five (5) years in prison and a ten thousand dollar ($10,000) fine.

PicExportError
Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.

PicExportError
Areas within airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.

PicExportError
Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law

PicExportError
The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business enterprise, day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing, may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer or business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying concealed weapons is prohibited.

PicExportError
Possession of weapons, or ammunition, or both in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the weapons, or ammunition, or both are not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. A private but not a public employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employer, but may not prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employee, except that the Justice Cabinet may prohibit an employee from carrying any weapons, or ammunition, or both other than the weapons, or ammunition, or both issued or authorized to be used Page 6 of 11 by the employee of the cabinet, in a vehicle while transporting persons under the employee's supervision or jurisdiction.

PicExportError
Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;

At the recent 2a foundation conference held in KY a couple of months ago this became an issue. The main conference room was divided from the food and bars. Many opened carried. However, when Ron Paul appeared the divider was opened. ???? Did the OC people have to leave??

The answer was no. Because the primary part of the room was not for alcoholic consumption. You could NOT go up to the bars and order.

I wish Ohio had that law.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

color of law wrote:

At the recent 2a foundation conference held in KY a couple of months ago this became an issue. The main conference room was divided from the food and bars. Many opened carried. However, when Ron Paul appeared the divider was opened. ???? Did the OC people have to leave??

The answer was no. Because the primary part of the room was not for alcoholic consumption. You could NOT go up to the bars and order.

I wish Ohio had that law.
You should really see Indiana, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania--none of which have any laws restricting carrying in restaurants or even bars.

reefteach

imported post

Agreed. OC or CC at newport, as long as you are not sitting, standing at the bar. Stick to the game areas.

It really does stink that we are surrounder by states which permit carry where alcohol is served.

FiremanJoe

imported post

I went to KC3 website and am puzzled I thought that carry was ok and signs like the gunbuster sign we see all over ohio at store entrances,could be disregarded in KY....

This is from thier website in FAQ

Where am I not allowed to carry a concealed firearm?

* Any police station or sheriff's office;
* Any prison, jail, or detention facility;
* Any courthouse containing only courtrooms or any court proceeding;
* Any meeting of the General Assembly, a committee of the General Assembly, or of the governing body of a county, city, or special district;
* Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion is devoted primarily to that purpose;
* Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the school authorities;
* Any child-care facility, day care center or certified family child care home;
* Any area of an airport where people and property are inspected;
* Any place where federal law prohibits it.

In addition, private businesses may post their premises against concealed carry.

the very last line concerned me.... is KY more like ohio than i thought?

puzzled

VtCO

State Researcher
imported post

WVCDL wrote:

You should really see Indiana, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania--none of which have any laws restricting carrying in restaurants or even bars.
You should really see Vermont--we don't really have any laws restricting carrying...period...:)

reefteach

imported post

FiremanJoe wrote:
"
In addition, private businesses may post their premises against concealed carry."

the very last line concerned me.... is KY more like ohio than i thought?

NO!!.

In Kentucky, those signs hold no legal weight. There is no crime against going in armed where a gunban sign is posted on private property. If you are asked to leave, and you refuse, you may be charged with tresspassing. If a cop notices yoy are carrying ina posted business, he has no authority to take any action. In Ohio, you are a trespasser just for going in. So in Kentucky, if you conceal it, nobody will ask you to leave. No crime. The Kentucky Statute is here somewhere.