• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

county fair grounds same as municipal court property??

xCelarent

So i decided to OC at the ashland county fair today. all went well for awhile til some middle aged man tapped a sheriff on the shoulder and informed him i was carrying a weapon. After a short chat with the officer, he walked off leaving me with his other friend to "get information" he claims he spoke to local police chief, who told him that county fairgrounds was considered the same as a municipal court and other county property,

seemed a bit fishy to me, because ive carried at the wayne county fair with no issue.

the officer said i was welcome to stay if i disarmed and placed my gun into my car,

is a fiar grounds considreded county property like a municipal court??

makes no sense to me. as there are no posted signs anywhere,

JustJack

County fairs fall under 2 categories. Those put on by the county, on land owned by the county, and those put on by an Agricultural Society on land owned/leased by said Ag Society. No matter which type, they can NOT post the grounds, only buildings, and then only ones that are not primarily used as restrooms, shelters, or parking areas. County owned/run fairs can NOT post because the County is a government entity, and therefore is bound by ORC 9.68. Ag Society owned/run fairs can NOT post because they are ALSO government entities, even though they like to think they are not, and are ALSO bound by ORC 9.68. The Officer was misinformed or flat out lying.

eye95

We have been "educating" fairs all season. Brian Kuzawa spearheaded a nice little effort that corrected the Morrow County Fair. I went to the Montgomery County Fair, but they needed no correction.

If there is a fair that is posted or harassing carriers, we'll have an OC day at the fair and school them.

xCelarent

Well I certainly plan to try again today.

I discuessed the issue with my grandpa, who happens to know Wayne E Risner (deputy) So im going to give him a call and ask his perspective on it.

Either way, i dont feel i have violated any law, and for sure plan to visit today and OC.

Got a friend going with me, who is going to record any interactions with the Law Enforcement

eye95

The words "county property like a court" concern me. "County property" and "court" are handled by the ORC separately. In general, carry on county property cannot be banned by the locals because of preemption in 9.68. Carry in a courthouse is specifically mentioned and banned in the law--not because it is county property, but because it is a courthouse.

I don't disagree with your approach, but am concerned that you are going to be jacked up. If you are stopped, please comply with all laws regarding a lawful stop (even though this will likely not be lawful). Please state for the recording that you do not consent to any searches or seizures and that you intend to say nothing other than that. Then, please do not get into a discussion with the officer.

Your choice how you handle the stop, but that is my advice. Once you have been illegally stopped (and likely illegally kicked out of the fair or arrested), you will have everything you need on tape. An argument about the law with the officer will not help. Just my dos centavos.

If you post this in the Ohio forum, you might get more folks to help you out. We've been down this road before with other county fairs in Ohio this year.

xCelarent

The words "county property like a court" concern me. "County property" and "court" are handled by the ORC separately. In general, carry on county property cannot be banned by the locals because of preemption in 9.68. Carry in a courthouse is specifically mentioned and banned in the law--not because it is county property, but because it is a courthouse.

I don't disagree with your approach, but am concerned that you are going to be jacked up. If you are stopped, please comply with all laws regarding a lawful stop (even though this will likely not be lawful). Please state for the recording that you do not consent to any searches or seizures and that you intend to say nothing other than that. Then, please do not get into a discussion with the officer.

Your choice how you handle the stop, but that is my advice. Once you have been illegally stopped (and likely illegally kicked out of the fair or arrested), you will have everything you need on tape. An argument about the law with the officer will not help. Just my dos centavos.

If you post this in the Ohio forum, you might get more folks to help you out. We've been down this road before with other county fairs in Ohio this year.

Yeah I for sure want to record it, forgot to mention they did tell me they would give me a "freebie" and educate me on what they thought the law was, and let me stay if i disarmed, but if i attempted to stay without disarming they would arrest me.

In a scenario where they arrest me, about how long would that take? im assuming they would detain and disarm me, but how long would oyu expect i have to sit in a holding cell?

eye95

Yeah I for sure want to record it, forgot to mention they did tell me they would give me a "freebie" and educate me on what they thought the law was, and let me stay if i disarmed, but if i attempted to stay without disarming they would arrest me.

In a scenario where they arrest me, about how long would that take? im assuming they would detain and disarm me, but how long would oyu expect i have to sit in a holding cell?

Since they have indicated an intent to arrest you, have a lawyer at the ready. Ask him what to expect. Not a hassle I'd want to go through if I could avoid it.

There are better ways to do this than to get arrested. I would help, but am working for the next several days. Seriously, post this in the Ohio forum. Cross-post it to OFCC and Buckeye Firearms. This is a battle we have fought before this year and won, without arrests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JustaShooter

Cross-post it to OFCC and Buckeye Firearms. This is a battle we have fought before this year and won, without arrests.

This, especially OFCC. They have a "task force" of sorts that work on these issues and have been very successful.

BriKuz

I'm on this one, big time, as the wife and I LIVE just up the road, and we've had zero issues... The deputy's name would be REALLY handy right about now...

PS: Eye, its BriKuz... lol outing me to the rest of the world?!? lmao Moving on....

:banana:

Last edited:

eye95

I'm on this one, big time, as the wife and I LIVE just up the road, and we've had zero issues... The deputy's name would be REALLY handy right about now...

PS: Eye, its BriKuz... lol outing me to the rest of the world?!? lmao Moving on....

I'd say that front-page coverage in newspapers and on FoxNews.com did that better than any of us can!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

BriKuz

just got back from the fair. The Fair Board President has instructed the Sheriff that anyone with firearms is to be told to leave, and, barring them leaving immediately, to be arrested. Discussion on 9.68 forums of OFCC, but I will stop by here with updates.

Werz

I don't want to hear you complaining about someone outing someone else. You appear to have been very busy today.

BriKuz

Lt. Smart with Ashland County Sheriff's Office just called me back, and the Sheriff's Department and Prosecutor's office have determined that open or concealed carry of firearms IS legal in the open areas of the fairgrounds.

I like it when things are easy like this.

BriKuz

Had a blast... had 3 dif people walk up to us and say "Why do you look familiar? Oh! You guys are the Oberlin people! Good job!" :mrgreen: made ME feel good... Lt. Bright was pumped that BOTH of us were carrying... he thought it was cool that J has a .40 and not a little .380

The rain SUCKED, though! lol

3FULLMAGS+1

Not to change the subject here but Another question.....I remember another thread somewhere, maybe over on the BFA forums, couldn't find it but I think it was started by Brikuz, about the wayne co. fair being posted at one time, any way, I've been carrying there since I got a chl in '06, carryed concealed there for maybe 5 to 6 years then went to openly carry'in there....... now after the signs came down, they continued to post the buildings if I remember right, this year however, I noticed the buildings were not posted and as a side note, you could see where those sings used to be on the doors to the buildings ( different paint and nail holes )........so my wife and I never went in them. If I'm correct they are still of limits if not posted right?

JustJack

If I'm correct they are still of limits if not posted right?
Short answer: Yes, you are correct.
Long answer + Why:
2923.126 [Effective Until 1/1/2014] Duties of licensed individual.
(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

BriKuz

One thing to consider... barns are leaning more and more towards being considered shelters. Lorain, Morrow, and Ashland all welcomed carrying through barns. That is NOT to say that SOME counties might not arrest you just cause they're pissed about people carrying.