• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

county fair grounds same as municipal court property??

eye95

One thing to consider... barns are leaning more and more towards being considered shelters. Lorain, Morrow, and Ashland all welcomed carrying through barns. That is NOT to say that SOME counties might not arrest you just cause they're pissed about people carrying.

Why would anyone want to carry in a leaning barn? Hell, I wouldn't go in there if I wasn't carrying!

JustaShooter

The license simply does not authorize the licensee to carry concealed into those enumerated places. What stops open carry?

Well, if posted, I'd have to say the sign does. If not posted, perhaps nothing - I don't see anything in my reading of the law to prohibit it. I do note that no one has yet volunteered to be the test case however, and I'm not willing at this point in my life to do so either.

eye95

Well, if posted, I'd have to say the sign does. If not posted, perhaps nothing - I don't see anything in my reading of the law to prohibit it. I do note that no one has yet volunteered to be the test case however, and I'm not willing at this point in my life to do so either.

What force of law does the sign carry? It is required to be posted, but nothing I know of says that it is required to be followed. I respect private property signing, but this is public property. On public property, I only respect the law, not signs that have no force of law.

To put it another way, what law would one be charged with violating should he openly carry against such a sign?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JustaShooter

What force of law does the sign carry? It is required to be posted, but nothing I know of says that it is required to be followed. I respect private property signing, but this is public property. On public property, I only respect the law, not signs that have no force of law.

To put it another way, what law would one be charged with violating should he openly carry against such a sign?

I'm not a lawyer so I may be off base, but I would think at the very least you could be arrested for trespass if you violate such a sign. There may be other offenses but I'm not going to spend time digging for them.

Either way, I note that *many* of the more activist folks in the OC community hold similar views as you do, but *none* have volunteered to be the test case. Seems like it is easy to hold that stance behind a keyboard, but it is something else altogether to actually walk through that door and past that "sign that has no force of law".

Feel free to do so if that is your conviction, I eagerly await the video of the encounter. At this point in my life I, on the other hand, tend to handle such things so that the consequences are decided in my favor.

Moving on (until you post a video of such an event)

JustJack

The license simply does not authorize the licensee to carry concealed into those enumerated places. What stops open carry?

While I agree with your stance on this issue Eye, I, like JustaShooter, do not wish to be the test case. My current financial situation, not to mention my home obligations, simply do not allow it at this time. In the future, if I have sufficient financial backing, I would be willing to 'test the waters'.

eye95

I'm not a lawyer so I may be off base, but I would think at the very least you could be arrested for trespass if you violate such a sign. There may be other offenses but I'm not going to spend time digging for them.

Either way, I note that *many* of the more activist folks in the OC community hold similar views as you do, but *none* have volunteered to be the test case. Seems like it is easy to hold that stance behind a keyboard, but it is something else altogether to actually walk through that door and past that "sign that has no force of law".

Feel free to do so if that is your conviction, I eagerly await the video of the encounter. At this point in my life I, on the other hand, tend to handle such things so that the consequences are decided in my favor.

Moving on (until you post a video of such an event)

If the sign has no force of law, how can it be trespass?

Seriously, I know of no law that makes it illegal to OC in a government building (except for police stations, courthouses, and a few other exceptions). Again, the law requires that the sign be posted, but then only says that CC in those buildings is not allowed. It is silent on OC.

So, it falls on the person contending that OC in a government building is unlawful to cite that law. I don't believe that you can find it. A sign is not a law.

<o>

eye95

While I agree with your stance on this issue Eye, I, like JustaShooter, do not wish to be the test case. My current financial situation, not to mention my home obligations, simply do not allow it at this time. In the future, if I have sufficient financial backing, I would be willing to 'test the waters'.

I respect that. I don't want to be the test case either unless MWSY volunteers to fund my legal expenses! I just want us to be careful in citing the law. To my knowledge, there is no law that prohibits OC in a government building.

<o>

xCelarent

Well, BriKuz certainly cleared things up, carried friday, and today. Not a single issue, even spoke with a sheriff in an unrelated mannor, and she didnt mention anything aboout it.

Pretty glad it was handled quickly. Thanks!