• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Courts, encounters with locking up pistols while visiting.

andyrewj

I went to Puyallup municipal court Tuesday. I was not carrying my weapon because I was there to support my son with a ticket contest and didn't have time if their lock-box procedure was a drawn out affair. I did however ask about a lock-box. Turned out that if I had brought my weapon in I would have definitely missed my son's ticket hearing. The bailiff informed me that they did have the required lock-box but if I asked to use it that he would immediately draw his weapon and hold me at gunpoint until backup arrived from the police! When I pointed out that a lock-box was state mandated and holding someone at gunpoint who requests the use of one would be unacceptable he reiterated that they had one but "don't even think about trying it". He told me that no one has ever asked to use one before. That seems hard to believe but I can't refute that assertion. Anyway, just thought I would give everyone a heads up on Puyallup. I will be following up this encounter with an e-mail to the Mayor with cc to everyone I can think of including the police chief, city counsel and city attorney to name a few. Who would have thought that you would have less trouble checking a weapon in Seattle that in a little city like Puyallup? If someone else has had any experience in Puyallup, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I went to Puyallup municipal court Tuesday. I was not carrying my weapon because I was there to support my son with a ticket contest and didn't have time if their lock-box procedure was a drawn out affair. I did however ask about a lock-box. Turned out that if I had brought my weapon in I would have definitely missed my son's ticket hearing. The bailiff informed me that they did have the required lock-box but if I asked to use it that he would immediately draw his weapon and hold me at gunpoint until backup arrived from the police! When I pointed out that a lock-box was state mandated and holding someone at gunpoint who requests the use of one would be unacceptable he reiterated that they had one but "don't even think about trying it". He told me that no one has ever asked to use one before. That seems hard to believe but I can't refute that assertion. Anyway, just thought I would give everyone a heads up on Puyallup. I will be following up this encounter with an e-mail to the Mayor with cc to everyone I can think of including the police chief, city counsel and city attorney to name a few. Who would have thought that you would have less trouble checking a weapon in Seattle that in a little city like Puyallup? If someone else has had any experience in Puyallup, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Go again, record, with a back up recording that goes online.

Grim_Night

Oh I'm tempted to go there openly carrying just to get this reaction. If this court officer does in fact hold somebody at gunpoint for doing a lawful activity, he and the city would be wide open to a lawsuit.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Oh I'm tempted to go there openly carrying just to get this reaction. If this court officer does in fact hold somebody at gunpoint for doing a lawful activity, he and the city would be wide open to a lawsuit.

I wish I had found my hand held digital camera. I could join you and just use my cell-phone camera to record the encounter.

Grim_Night

I wish I had found my hand held digital camera. I could join you and just use my cell-phone camera to record the encounter.

I have bambuser on my cell phone. It records (even when the screen is off) and uploads the file to an online server for later access. I'm really starting to think seriously about putting this courthouse to the test.

rightwinglibertarian

Is he for real? He admitted he would draw his weapon for zero good reason, which could well be construed as a threat to kill, which in turn would be reasonable grounds for a citizen to use his weapon. Immediate and credible threat to a persons life. I would certainly go back there with a few people and give him something to think about. He'd be even crazier than I thought if he drew with 3-4 other OCers. Probably crazy enough his mental state could be questioned and that would make him unfit for duty.

Difdi

Is he for real? He admitted he would draw his weapon for zero good reason, which could well be construed as a threat to kill, which in turn would be reasonable grounds for a citizen to use his weapon. Immediate and credible threat to a persons life. I would certainly go back there with a few people and give him something to think about. He'd be even crazier than I thought if he drew with 3-4 other OCers. Probably crazy enough his mental state could be questioned and that would make him unfit for duty.

You could also make a citizen's arrest, since unlawfully pointing a firearm at someone is a breach of the peace.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

As lawful as a citizen's arrest (or drawing on the assaulting Opinion Enforcement Officer) may be I don't imagine it would work well for the citizen or citizens involved, seeing as they do not have the protection of the thin blue line and "mainstream" media nor share the access to seemingly unlimited funds (tax dollars) for litigation, not to speak of the possibility of the officer and/or his buddies shooting first and sorting the mess out later.

It is rather unfortunate that the original encounter between andyrewj and the Opinion Enforcement Officer in question was not recorded.:(

Last edited:

andyrewj

All good points, but not good enough for ME to potentially be shot. I will address this through e-mails to start and go from there. I would rather have this corrected internally so that the next time I am there this is a non-issue. That having been said if the city is unwilling to address this then it will need to be escalated somehow. Hopefully they see their error and move expeditiously to correct it (yeah, yeah, snow ball's chance, pigs flying, etc....but it could happen.) More power to anyone that wants to go try it another way but I got no sense that this guy was in any way kidding and I would personally be afraid for my own safety if he drew down on me. My first priority is to go home at the end of the day to my wife and boys. BTW, I didn't think I needed to record because I was just asking if they had the required lock-box, I never expected the response I got. Frankly I was astonished at it. Lesson learned. Always record, I can always delete it later if it wasn't needed.

Rusty Young Man

Welcome to OCDO, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona andyrewj!:) Forgive my lack of manners, I just saw that you're new to OCDO.

The fact that the officer would say he'd draw on a Lawfully-Armed Citizen (LAC) who was engaging in a lawful action speaks volumes in itself; let's HOPE he is just a bad apple in the department (the exception, not the norm, etc.).

SNIP... Hopefully they see their error and move expeditiously to correct it (yeah, yeah, snow ball's chance, pigs flying, etc....but it could happen.) More power to anyone that wants to go try it another way but I got no sense that this guy was in any way kidding and I would personally be afraid for my own safety if he drew down on me. My first priority is to go home at the end of the day to my wife and boys.

They deserve an opportunity to correct themselves, and a failure to do so only strengthens your/our/LACs' case, in my opinion.

BTW, I didn't think I needed to record because I was just asking if they had the required lock-box, I never expected the response I got. Frankly I was astonished at it. Lesson learned. Always record, I can always delete it later if it wasn't needed.

I haven't gone that far, but I have taken to recording more of my interactions with people, including when I am disarmed ("dis", not "un"; thank the Arizona Board of Tyrants, err... Regents:banghead:).

Please keep us updated, if possible.
Also, Happy New Year!:)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

This is TRUTH!
You all know this happened in Bellingham and it did not work out so well for the city. I sued and walked with a substantial check. Most important was the opportunity to bring OC out into the light as it was not the first time they abused Citizens.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

This is TRUTH!
You all know this happened in Bellingham and it did not work out so well for the city. I sued and walked with a substantial check. Most important was the opportunity to bring OC out into the light as it was not the first time they abused Citizens.

Well my saying that "he and the city" is because it is well established law that not only are courts required to provide lock boxes, it's also well established that the 2A is a protected right of the citizens. So this court officer knowing these facts would not have QI to back him up and thus could be held personally liable in addition to the city.

andyrewj

I sent an e-mail to the mayor, each council member the police chief, city manager (attorney) and the court. One council member responded and expressed his concern. No response from anyone else. Maybe they will become concerned after someone's rights are violated and they have to defend their actions. If anyone has suggestions for a good attorney that might be interested in this kind of a case please let me know. Once this is resolved maybe I will start a separate thread and post all the details. For the time being just be forewarned if you are visiting the Puyallup Municipal Court.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Grays Harbor/Aberdeen lockbox help

I just found out today that the Aberdeen Municipal Court does not provide lock boxes for those that carry firearms. I'd like to find someone from the area to work on this issue. If no one is available then i will take it on. FYI - I have made contact with the city Attorneys department on the matter.

A gentleman had a court appearance today, went to the court house and was told they do not have any means of securing his pistol during his visit. Aberdeen police was contacted and after a bit of a hassle by them, he left but not before getting his court date and venue changed so he could lock up his weapon.

Funny thing is, their charter says the following:

The goal of the Court is to provide timely justice for all. This includes fair and impartial hearings, protection of all rights, and adequate access to anyone with business before the Court. (emphasis mine)

http://www.aberdeenwa.gov/municipal-court/

Last edited: