• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL for UTAH and/or OREGON class at cabelas

1245A Defender

m1gunr posted this in my big study thread, i wanted to post it again, im going to get both!
Cabelas in Lacey has a Utah concealed class $70 prepay / $90 at the door with an additional $66.25 to BCI.

Oregon is $20 for the class in conjunction with Utah or $40 for Oregon alone with an additional $15 to the Oregon state police.

Utah and Oregon Concealed Firearm Permit for Non-Residents
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Good in 30 states. Obtain your Utah Concealed Firearm Permit in this three hour class presented by Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor, Mr. Kevin Faherty, LPI. Class includes ALL requirements for the Utah CFP Application in order to receive your concealed handgun permit: class instruction� fingerprinting� notary� passport photo and one pre-printed non-stamped envelope to BCI, State of Utah. Reserve your seat now! $70 Prepay through Paypal on-line at www.CFPUTAH.com or $90 at the door. An additional $65.25 payable to BCI, State of Utah will be submitted / mailed with the completed class documentation to process the state application and receive Utah CFP.

Utah CFP students also wanting the Oregon CHL pay an additional $20 for Oregon class instruction and application. Students only wanting Oregon CHL pay $40 through Paypal on-line at www.CFPUTAH.com.

August 16 (Monday), September 6 (Monday), 5:00-8:00 p.m.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't travel to much...

anymore, but have thought about getting the Utah anyways as it might be handy.

Really, I want to go to see how wrong the instructor gets OC in WA/OR. As I already have my OR CHL and understand WA and OR very well I would bet that he get's it wrong.

Last edited:

alienbogey

WRT the Oregon permit:

Is this Cabela's class just for instruction that satisfies Oregon's requirement for training to get their permit, or is it going to result in, after sending in forms and waiting, actually obtaining the permit?

oldkim

clarification...

Yes, for the Utah you just mail in the filled out form with payment and all the other stuff they require - the class will have everything for you. This is simply a "mail in" application. You mail it and you should get your photo ID in about 2 months.

For the Oregon - you again fill out, send the application in and the agency will send you an "appointment time/date". You have to go down in person to Oregon at the designated agency and do the rest of the process, in person. The class will give you options of which agency to submit to.

The best option is to take both - it's basically the same class - the last portion of the Utah is the concealed (about 15-30 minutes). Both states require a safety course - not range shooting certifications.

Oregon:
MULTNOMAH County Sheriff's has been very open to accepting out of state applications.
http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm
http://www.mcso.us/public/forms/chl/2010InformationGuide.pdf

1. RESIDENCY: Either your primary address is within Multnomah County or you are a Washington state resident with a valid reason for carrying a handgun in Oregon (your application must be accompanied by an explanatory letter).
2. CERTIFICATION: Take a Handgun Safety Class, this MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE an application can be submitted.
a. Classes are offered Tuesdays 6:30-9:00 p.m. in the Sheriff’s Office on 122nd & Glisan, no appointment needed. Cost is $40, DO NOT BRING HANDGUN.
b. Other forms of certification: Veterans with a DD214 that specifies handgun, sidearm, or pistol qualifications; any law enforcement, armed security, military police training, etc (see ORS 166.291)
3. APPLICATION: After certification, complete an application.
a. Applications are in the Sheriff’s Office building (address listed above, open 24/7), online-www.mcso.us, or at the Multnomah County Courthouse, Room 134.
b. Mail or return completed application to:
Attn: CHL Unit
12240 NE Glisan Street
Portland, OR 97230
4. APPOINTMENT: The CHL Unit will then contact you via phone or mail to set-up an appointment. Appointments will be Mon, Weds, Fri 1:00-4:00 p.m. or Tues, Thurs 7:15-11:00 a.m.
a. ID and payment are required at your appointment.
b. You will be photographed, fingerprinted, and your information will be submitted for a background check. If you do not pass your application will be denied and payment will NOT be refunded.
5. IDENTIFICATION- WHAT TO BRING: 2 forms of ID are required.
a. Please bring a driver’s license or Oregon ID Card with your current Multnomah County residence as your primary address. If you are a Washington state resident bring your driver’s license. If born outside of the US, US Passport or Naturalization papers are required.
b. The second piece of ID does not need a picture. Acceptable forms are: bankcards, employment ID cards, library cards, voter ID cards, etc.
6. PAYMENT: Exact cash for amount of transaction, check or money order made out to Multnomah County, VISA/MASTERCARD, debit /credit (non-refundable).
a. Cost…………………… $65.00
7. PERMIT: The Sheriff’s Office has 45 days to approve or deny your application. We will either mail the permit, or a letter stating reasons for a denial, within that time.
www.mcso.us

1245A Defender

update; from gogodawgs

WRT the Oregon permit:

Is this Cabela's class just for instruction that satisfies Oregon's requirement for training to get their permit, or is it going to result in, after sending in forms and waiting, actually obtaining the permit?

the Utah permit sounds like, all you gotta do is send it in!
the Oregon is less clear, but i thought it sounds like it was a send in to get it!

from a pm to me...

Here is the deal. In Oregon you have to apply in person and take a gun safety class. For all practical purposes you need to pay someone for the class. That is why it is offered, for money, at the Cabela's deal.

However, if Palmer comes up then you do not have to drive to Oregon to apply in person. And Sheriff Palmer will take the FREE online class at http://www.mdgunsafety.com/ just take the class and print off the certificate. Take it with you to Sheriff Palmer and he takes care of the rest and you save yourself a few dollars.

now i like that kind of answer! so ill be takin the utah only class at cabelas,
and the online safety class, then meeting up with the sheriff in the fall!!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Really, I want to go to see how wrong the instructor gets OC in WA/OR.

He gets it badly wrong... I took the Utah class at Cabelas. The guy actually told the class that if your jacket came open while getting something off the shelf at Safeway, and someone noticed, you could be cited for brandishing....

I tried to correct him several times on Washington laws but he stopped responding to me. The guy lives in Oregon, is licensed by Utah to teach the concealed carry class and spends little to no time at all in Washington or Utah.

1245A Defender

TOOK my safety class!

its just reading, not any test, got my certificate!
signed up for the cabelas Utah CPL,,CFP? cant remember!!
ordered my 44cal blackpowder buffalo gun,,,
looking for the memo that excludes black powder guns from the extra forms for real guns..
Hoping to see some of you guys gettin extra OC and CC states under your belt on the 16th!!