• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPZ Shooting at Cincinnati Zoo

Sigger

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
For those not already familiar with the story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/2...illa-to-protect-small-child-in-enclosure.html

Cincinnati Zoo is a posted CPZ: http://cincinnatizoo.org/plan-your-visit/visitor-faq/

While I don't disagree with how risk to the kid was addressed (and don't really want to head down that rabbit hole here), I'm wondering if the folks who shot the gorilla have been charged with knowingly having firearms in the CPZ. Did the zoo provide this response team with the guns? This certainly demonstrates the need to be armed at the facility and, at the very least, a profound degree of hypocrisy on the part of the zoo.

Animalou812

For those not already familiar with the story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/2...illa-to-protect-small-child-in-enclosure.html

Cincinnati Zoo is a posted CPZ: http://cincinnatizoo.org/plan-your-visit/visitor-faq/

While I don't disagree with how risk to the kid was addressed (and don't really want to head down that rabbit hole here), I'm wondering if the folks who shot the gorilla have been charged with knowingly having firearms in the CPZ. Did the zoo provide this response team with the guns? This certainly demonstrates the need to be armed at the facility and, at the very least, a profound degree of hypocrisy on the part of the zoo.

I thought the same thing. The St. Louis Zoo needs to take note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

why would you confuse property owner's entitlement to do what they want on & to their property, including requesting, insisting, denying visitors firearms while the visitor is on the private property.

it is a non~story with an unhappy ending for visitors.

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I pay $26.36 in taxes per year to the zoo to help fund the operations and major maintenance of the Cincinnati Zoo.* ZOOLOGICAL PARK RATE is .46 mills per year for 5 years, expires tax year 2017. It will be renewed this November.

Brian D.

The shooters are zoo employees, part of a "Dangerous Animals Response Team". Yes I hate cheesy acronyms. Such a team is federally mandated by the USDA, which oversees zoo operations. For what it's worth they practice monthly with their firearms, which exceeds most conventional LE agencies.

Apparently such teams are required in order for the zoos that have certain animals.

solus

The shooters are zoo employees, part of a "Dangerous Animals Response Team". Yes I hate cheesy acronyms. Such a team is federally mandated by the USDA, which oversees zoo operations. For what it's worth they practice monthly with their firearms, which exceeds most conventional LE agencies.

Apparently such teams are required in order for the zoos that have certain animals.

forgive me, but do you have any form of cite to any of the information you just posted regarding mandated by USDA, or participate in month training??

my research shows the USDA's mandate is responsible for animal & plant 'welfare' from disease and maltreatment or in the case of natural disaster, evacuation.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/Animal Care Blue Book - 2013 - FINAL.pdf

or

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title9-vol1/xml/CFR-2013-title9-vol1-chapI-subchapA.xml

thanks...

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

If you have a problem, that no one else can help, and if you can find them...maybe you can hire the DAR Team !

The monkey should have known all the laws that apply to them....sucks to have this animal killed.

Last edited:

Brian D.

No solus, I don't have anything handy to cite from. But in the past have definitely read that the USDA has oversight of zoos, and here in Cincinnati there have been spokespersons from that agency verifying same through multiple media sources.

As to Cincinnati's DART members practicing monthly with firearms, that is from a longtime friend with the Cincinnati PD who is very well acquainted with DART operations, he's shot with them frequently as he's a "gun guy" himself. Likely, I'd guess, the monthly thing is an agency requirement and not FedGov mandated.

I do realize that 'cite please' is taken seriously on this forum, and in fact I like its tendency to separate wheat from chaff. If I had a printed source, would be happy to share it.

Last edited:

Animalou812

why would you confuse property owner's entitlement to do what they want on & to their property, including requesting, insisting, denying visitors firearms while the visitor is on the private property.

it is a non~story with an unhappy ending for visitors.

ipse

The Cincinnati Zoo is owned by the city of Cincinnati. It is public property

solus

The Cincinnati Zoo is owned by the city of Cincinnati. It is public property

you are right...forgive me, i forgot the city moved the enterprise under their public school system in 1975.

contimplate that concept...under the public school system...for a moment!!

ipse

HPmatt

Maybe the Zoo is just being efficient - as a learning institution they can offer schoolkids training and instruction needed to follow the career path of an LPA - Large Primate Assassin.
Where to place the shot, what round to use, preferred rifle, scope or red-dot, how to field dress, how to market the hormone-free organic meat, as well as is it ethical to get it stuffed?

This a whole new area of Zoo Management Science to grow from this incident...let alone Zoo crisis/media management. Oh - and the small fact that the Boy is safe - thank goodness.

Brian D.

Interesting. Virtually all of the local media would have me believe otherwise about DARTs and USDA oversight, etc. But having dealt with media myself a few times, not terribly surprising.

willy1094

Interesting. Virtually all of the local media would have me believe otherwise about DARTs and USDA oversight, etc. But having dealt with media myself a few times, not terribly surprising.

I did some quick digging and it looks like the response team may be more an accreditation requirement https://www.aza.org/accreditation/ I haven't found anything spelled out as of this posting. The closest thing I found so far is

Potentially Dangerous or Venomous Wildlife.
Facilities maintaining venomous animals must have an appropriate supply of sera available and policies/procedures in place for the safe handling of those animals. Likewise, procedures must be in place to reduce the risk of injury by potentially dangerous animals. The alarm system and emergency procedures will be closely reviewed by the Visiting Committee.
(my bold)