• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deadly Shooting Involving Alleged Open Carry

jahwarrior

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Police-Involved_Fatal_Shooting_Tioga_Street_051112

Police: Man Shot, Killed After Pointing Gun At Officers

Updated: Friday, 11 May 2012, 5:55 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 11 May 2012, 5:55 AM EDT

PHILADELPHIA - A man is dead after a police-involved shooting overnight in North Philadelphia.

Police allege that the man pointed a weapon at the officers, who were forced to fire just before midnight at 10th and Ontario streets.

Once again, this involves another man openly carrying a weapon on the streets of North Philadelphia, just like what happened earlier in the week outside Temple University Hospital.

And, like in that case, police were responding Thursday night to a complaint from the public about a gun-toting individual.

I couldn't find the story about the shooting about the Temple University Hospital shooting. Reading this story, two things immediately came to mind:

1: The guy wasn't open carrying, but carrying a gun in his hand, and the media is selling it as an open carry story, to further demonize open carry.

2: The guy was open carrying, and never actually pointed a gun at the police, but they shot him anyway.

Last edited:

jahwarrior

One way to find out.....did the guy have a holster?

I doubt we'll ever find out. This is the problem with dead people: they never get to tell their side of the story. These incidents may be the opening shots (literally) in the War Against Open Carry in Philly. It's a well documented fact that the PPD doesn't like open carry, concealed carry, or any other kind of non-LEO carry. The city government has been looking for ways to restrict people from carrying, and now the PPD is shooting people? One two many coincidences.

Dreamer

Walking down the street with a gin in your hand is NOT the same as "Open Carry", and the media's attempt to equate these two things is despicable.

Comment sections on PA news websites should be FLOODED with comments calling out the obvious media bias and disinfomation...