• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Derek Colling Update - Las Vegas PD

usamarshal

Just wondering what the status of Derek Colling is after the beat down he gave some guy for video taping a crime scene from his driveway?

MKEgal

Here's another account, with more of the dialogue.
cop: Can I help you, sir?
citizen: Nope, just observing.
cop: Do you live here?
citizen: Nope.
cop: Turn that off for me.
citizen: Why do I have to turn it off? I’m perfectly within my legal rights to be able to do this.
cop: (walking towards citizen) Turn off the camera for me.
citizen: I’m perfectly within my legal rights to do this, sir.
cop: Listen, turn off the camera for me.
citizen: No sir, I am within my legal rights to do this.
cop: You don’t live here.
citizen: I do live here.
Then the cop attacks the citizen.

I think after the first "can I help you?" from the cop who had just entered my property, I might have said, "yes, by leaving my property".
Don't know why he originally said he didn't live at his house, but it doesn't matter; the cop was out of line for approaching him, let alone telling him to stop taping.
Seems the cop has been relieved of duty & I hope they make him pay back whatever he's 'earning'... unless he's using earned vacation & sick days. That's fair.

Fallschirjmäger

cop: Can I help you, sir?
citizen: Nope, just observing.
cop: Do you live here?
citizen: Nope.
cop: Turn that off for me.
citizen: Why do I have to turn it off? I’m perfectly within my legal rights to be able to do this.
cop: (walking towards citizen) Turn off the camera for me.
citizen: I’m perfectly within my legal rights to do this, sir.
cop: Listen, turn off the camera for me.
citizen: No sir, I am within my legal rights to do this.
cop: You don’t live here.
citizen: I do live here.

Y'know... I wonder if the officer, by saying that, left himself open to not being covered under qualified immunity? After all, he wanted the camera turned off For Him, not for the agency.

KBCraig

Don't know why he originally said he didn't live at his house, but it doesn't matter; the cop was out of line for approaching him, let alone telling him to stop taping.
I suspect that, for reasons that soon became apparent, he didn't want the cop knowing where he lived.

Last edited:

usamarshal

Well, this officer has certainly been a busy little bee in the past few years....2 "justified" shootings and who knows how many beat downs....haha...Glad they got the bad egg out of there.

jfrey123

Amazing they don't mention he was one of the Costco shooters as well. I think it's a little absurd he was on a paid suspension since April, and is just now being fired. Not sure how I feel about charges being filed, but at least he isn't a cop anymore.