• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle

Master Control

The following items are NOT permitted through admission gates:

Ladders, scaffolding or other structures, umbrellas, lawn chairs,
firearms or other weapons, bicycles, roller blades, strollers and wagons.

Pets other than disability assistance dogs are NOT permitted.

http://www.detroitgp.com/assets/FAQ%202013.pdf

Hevymetal

hi master, long time no see. i'll be calling about this tomorrow. this number rings right through to someone's desk:

Called this morning, was met with rude resistance. When I said MI preemption 123.1102 may prevent them banning firearms since it was city owned property. I was told It's a sporting event that servers alcohol rented to a private corporation. Try and bring a firearm in and I'll be arrested on the spot by DPD. Since they are renting it they can make whatever rules they want. If I don't like it, don't bother attending. When I asked if they could guarantee the safety of myself and my family their response was "no".

I did however manage to get the contact info for the supervisor setting the policy. He was not available to speak with though.

charles burns
313-748-1850

Maybe someone here will have better luck then I. I was polite, but wound up hanging up on them because I was biting my lip so hard no to respond when they became rude and verbally yelling at me over the phone for wanting to bring my firearm. Never before have I had such an abusive and rude response from someone representing an organization. I took my turn at bat but apparently struck out this time.

Wishing others better luck
Hevy

Hevymetal

LOL, Not who I spoke with, but sounds about as knowledgable and courteous as the lady I spoke to. Although I assure you, I only called once. Maybe others are calling as well :) Keep calling, maybe they will learn. At least try and educate them.

"We don't want guns on the island." Sounds like a line from, Escape from New York.

I want a unicorn that shoots $100 bills out it's a$$

It's not about what I, you or they want. It's about the legality of their attempt to suppress an individual's right to carry.

xmanhockey7

We have the same issue in Kalamazoo. The county thinks if they rent out their property then those people can do basically whatever they want.

TheQ

We have the same issue in Kalamazoo. The county thinks if they rent out their property then those people can do basically whatever they want.

2 pro-2A lawyers I know agree with them (the municipalities). The most favorable prognostication I got from them is: it'd be an interesting case.

FreeInAZ

2 pro-2A lawyers I know agree with them (the municipalities). The most favorable prognostication I got from them is: it'd be an interesting case.

Well I think most citizens take issue with any city/township that takes tax payer owned property, and "magically" transforms it into "private property" when it suits them. We all know this is wrong, but getting a court to understand this is a different matter sadly. The best way I see to stop this trend is to draw so much attention to the "lack of safety" at these events that it becomes a unwanted burden for event planners/hosts to impose a "crime empowerment zone" at their functions. Look at AB&E for a good example. The promoters fought tooth & nail along with the city of Royal Oak to keep pistols out. The press coverage in my opinion made them buckle. It also let the public know that there would be legally armed citizens in the crowd. End result - contrary to planners fears they had record turnouts & sales. ;) Which tells me these are unfounded & irrational fears that are actually costing events money, not the other way around.

Last edited:

TheQ

Well I think most citizens take issue with any city/township that takes tax payer owned property, and "magically" transforms it into "private property" when it suits them. We all know this is wrong, but getting a court to understand this is a different matter sadly. The best way I see to stop this trend is to draw so much attention to the "lack of safety" at these events that it becomes a unwanted burden for event planners/hosts to impose a "crime empowerment zone" at their functions. Look at AB&E for a good example. The promoters fought tooth & nail along with the city of Royal Oak to keep pistols out. The press coverage in my opinion made them buckle. It also let the public know that there would be legally armed citizens in the crowd. End result - contrary to planners fears they had record turnouts & sales. ;) Which tells me these are unfounded & irrational fears that are actually costing events money, not the other way around.

And over in GR the coverage only emboldened Heartwell.

SpringerXDacp

Hmmm...I can't even imagine why a bunch of paranoid, gun nuts, dealing with an appendage OAL issues, feel the need to carry a firearm to this event.

Where do we park?
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Event parking is not available on Belle Isle. A park & ride system operates from downtown Detroit, and from Windsor, Ontario to Belle Isle. The park & ride system and associated fees will be posted on the website closer to the date of the event. [/FONT][/FONT]

FreeInAZ

Hmmm...I can't even imagine why a bunch of paranoid, gun nuts, dealing with an appendage OAL issues, feel the need to carry a firearm to this event.

I am very happy with my OAL of my appendage, so speak for your self ;). Well we all know that gangs & flash mobs (not the GLEE ones) never happen near downtown Detroit...:rolleyes:

FreeInAZ

As always - smart man. +1. Did they have thousands of security "agents" onsite? Something tells me no. ;)

HKcarrier

As always - smart man. +1. Did they have thousands of security "agents" onsite? Something tells me no. ;)

I know of another island where there was no security agents and no guns... sans a couple in the hands of a guy dressed up like a police officer....

FreeInAZ

I know of another island where there was no security agents and no guns... sans a couple in the hands of a guy dressed up like a police officer....

Oh but that was far away in a country much more violent then Detroit, Mi. USA.....no way something like that could ever happen in the utopia we know as DETROIT.... so says the phone guru's @ the grand prix office. :rolleyes: /off sarcasm now. ;)