• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DMV: Registration Tax exemption for Veterans?

Turbod'1

Seems I'm due for a renewal and the Bill is $178.00.

When I first registered the car I wasn't a resident of Nevada so, I basically got my Drivers License and Registration done in the same day. However, since I wasn't a resident, I didn't seem to qualify for the Tax Exemption. Anyone know how this process works? Do I just take my DD214 with me and fill out the Form... AND, what part of the Tax does it cover?

Since I will be leaving NV before the end of the month (for good), I don't wish to pay any more than I have too! (Not that I'm cheap, I've been unemployed since I got here last year and never even claimed unemployment or welfare! (stupid maybe!? :D ))

Bonus question: How do you know if your License/ID indicates Veteran Status? In Alaska there was a Flag with a "V" next to my Organ Donor image. Mine has nothing indicating my Vet Stat... :confused:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It's kind of a pain in the ass. I don't even do it every year. You have to take your DD-214 to the county recorder or something like that, and they they do something with it there. I can't remember because I didn't bother trying to figure out how to do it again this year.

They don't mark your license at all to show veteran status. It's just a declaration to the DMV. I don't even know if they require proof for this "declaration."

Last edited:

Bernymac

When I first registered the car I wasn't a resident of Nevada so, I basically got my Drivers License and Registration done in the same day. However, since I wasn't a resident, I didn't seem to qualify for the Tax Exemption. Anyone know how this process works? Do I just take my DD214 with me and fill out the Form... AND, what part of the Tax does it cover?

Since I will be leaving NV before the end of the month (for good), I don't wish to pay any more than I have too! (Not that I'm cheap, I've been unemployed since I got here last year and never even claimed unemployment or welfare! (stupid maybe!? :D ))

Bonus question: How do you know if your License/ID indicates Veteran Status? In Alaska there was a Flag with a "V" next to my Organ Donor image. Mine has nothing indicating my Vet Stat... :confused:

If you are a veteran with a service connected disability, you take your DD214 and your VA letter (that states your disability) to the assessor's office by Grand Central Parkway on the 2nd floor. You will get an exemption letter that would remove the government services tax and will cut your registration fee to just $35. You can also apply this exemption to your property tax up to a certain amount. Once you do this, the exemption postcard will be mailed to you annually before the next registration is due.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't know if the exemption is larger for a disability, but, just to clarify, you get at least some significant discounts for any veteran status, not just with a disability.

NAVYBLUE

Turbod1,

Just to clarify, any HONORABLY discharged veteran is eligible for the exemption. In May 2011, went to Assessors Office @ county courthouse with DD-214. They registered DD-214 and at that time gave me a voucher for $116 towards DMV registration. It has INCREASED every year. What a country !!!!

Then each January starting in 2012 they sent me a form, you annotate you want a voucher for DMV, they go into state database, find out when you registered your vehicle and mail you a voucher at the beginning of your registration month each year. Easy peezy. Don't have to have a disability. All honorable veterans are eligible.

So you have about 14 days to hot foot to the Assessors Office with DD-214 to get your voucher. By the way, in (28) years in the NAVY I have interacted with many state/federal agencies. Hands done Clark County Assessors office is one of the most professional I have ever dealt with. They helped me tremendously when I was researching homes for sale in Aliante (NLV) to find out which owners had any outstanding capitalization fees still due on their house for sale. Saved me about $5,000. Good people down there. Your mileage may vary.

NAVYBLUE

FallonJeeper

^^^Nailed it^^^

As a Veteran, I was eligible, but my wife was still active duty. We took here active duty exemption. You can't use both at the same time.

Now we are both retired and I need to get her signed up.