• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I have to follow orders given by volunteer senior citizen patrol?

1911er

HC plates

Thanks to all of you who do watch for people abusing the hang cards as I have permanent HC plates because of A stroke I also walk with the assistance of A cane. And it just yanks my chain when I see someone pull in to a HC spot hang a card on the mirror and run into the store and come back out throw something in the backseat and take off like they are gonna miss A ballgame or whatever. And I would trade all the up close parking for the full use of my legs back any day o the week.

Badger Johnson

Before I got my HC permit, I'd park where there was a space and an empty cart nearby. If I can hold the cart and lean forward I can walk pretty quickly. I put my cane in the cart.

The furthest I can walk with the cane over moderately rolling hill terrain is under a mile (unless I rest for 5 min). With a shopping cart, I can walk for about 30-45 min, resting elbows on the cart. My nerve damage (?) affects me most when trying to stand fully upright, on one side. But I look much younger than 60 (the >55 community where I live I always hear 'who are you visiting' and 'you can't be a resident, you're obviously not 50' (said snarkily).

One lady challenged me and my partner and castigated us for riding our bikes around the community and wearing lycra bike bibs and jerseys (at the time it was Fall and we had on full tights, long sleeves, gloves, balaclava and sunglasses - you couldn't have been more 'fully dressed' and we're both lean no bulges. This woman was ***moderator deleted*** and she's talking about 'how someone looks' sheesh).

Anyway, I digress, but I get looks all the time when I pull in until they see me get out with a cane.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I live in a town who's police department uses a volunteer senior citizen patrol car. I have never had a problem with them while open carrying in fact they are usually one of the first to smile and wave at me. I saw them again today out driving around and writing parking tickets and that got me thinking exactly how much power do they have? If they where to issue me a order would I have to follow it?

What kind of orders would you expect coming from them? Let me see your Handicap Parking Identification Card, move your car you are blocking a handicap parking spot? or something more drastic like reach for the sky and hold you at bay with their ticket book?
You know I was funnin with you but what are your concerns with them, disarming you?

sudden valley gunner

Because they're Seniors?

or

Because they're Meter Maids? (implying female)

Because they are doing a job for practically free (we supply the vehicle I believe) that a union protected public employee wants a lot of money for, I feel a lot of "Police" work can be done this way reducing the amount of taxes and problems we have with Cops. Especially considering much of police work like traffic infractions are considered civil cases anyway.

And I respect my seniors (elders) unless they prove not to be deserving.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
a lot of "Police" work can be done this way reducing the amount of taxes and problems we have with Cops. Especially considering much of police work like traffic infractions are considered civil cases anyway.
EXACTLY!! Citizenship is a verb. Not enough people volunteer at things like this.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Because they are doing a job for practically free (we supply the vehicle I believe) that a union protected public employee wants a lot of money for, I feel a lot of "Police" work can be done this way reducing the amount of taxes and problems we have with Cops. Especially considering much of police work like traffic infractions are considered civil cases anyway.

And I respect my seniors (elders) unless they prove not to be deserving.

I knew it was bound to happen, SVG on this issue I have to agree 100% :eek:with you.
People should not be disrespected because they maybe elderly or volunteering to help our communities.
Here in Yakima they have seniors volunteering that free up officers and to help ensure reports are followed up or even seeking out more information on cases, they are not seen for the most part and if the city did not have them there would be less officers on the streets to issues being overlooked and not recorded or reported.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I knew it was bound to happen, SVG on this issue I have to agree 100% :eek:with you.
People should not be disrespected because they maybe elderly or volunteering to help our communities.
Here in Yakima they have seniors volunteering that free up officers and to help ensure reports are followed up or even seeking out more information on cases, they are not seen for the most part and if the city did not have them there would be less officers on the streets to issues being overlooked and not recorded or reported.

If we are using 'seniors' for 'free' to 'free up officers' then perhaps the officers have to much to enforce. Rather than adding more manpower to enforce more laws.....

I suggest repealing laws, one by one, year by year until the officers/government can enforce fairly and legitimately the laws that are on the books without adding more manpower and/or cost.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
gogo I have not been involved with the program but it has to do with the day to day operation and follow up that can assist the Officers in their jobs.
Granted there are some laws that are outside the preview of protecting it's citizens but I believe that the ones they are dealing with has to do with crimes being committed, assault, burglary, theft that provide information for detectives.
They are not a replacement for an officer but a tool to assist law enforcement to provide a better level of services with less officers that have came around do to cuts.

Dave_pro2a

respect-my-authority.jpg

amlevin

If we are using 'seniors' for 'free' to 'free up officers' then perhaps the officers have to much to enforce. Rather than adding more manpower to enforce more laws.....

I suggest repealing laws, one by one, year by year until the officers/government can enforce fairly and legitimately the laws that are on the books without adding more manpower and/or cost.

Some cities keep their police force busy just enforcing a few laws. Like in Everett where they were up to recently the Car Theft capital of the NW. Lately it's been chasing home invaders and gangs dealing in heavy drugs (Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth).

The big gripe in Everett is that they don't have time to enforce the lesser crimes like burglary, etc.

Which of those laws do you think should be repealed?? If you think they should be repealed in Everett, how 'bout your community too.

Bo

Guys, the title of this thread is a tad misleading ... the "citizens on patrol" cannot give any orders. They have ZERO authority. Volunteers all, their mission is simply to "observe and report" (sound familiar?). They are also not allowed to carry firearms, even if they have CPLs. But, they do get to drive Crown Vics around (in some areas).

sudden valley gunner

It was bound to happen sooner or later. :D I also agree with you a 100% on how you view the state fully occupies and preempts firearm laws.

I would suggest the same thing. Our legal system needs to go back to more of a common law, Blackstone tradition it was founded on. I think a good first step is to start laying off police and employing more elderly volunteers.

Guys, the title of this thread is a tad misleading ... the "citizens on patrol" cannot give any orders. They have ZERO authority. Volunteers all, their mission is simply to "observe and report" (sound familiar?). They are also not allowed to carry firearms, even if they have CPLs. But, they do get to drive Crown Vics around (in some areas).

How was the title misleading? He asked a question? Just because someone isn't "authorized" to give orders doesn't mean they won't try. I can even ignore unlawful orders of police if I choose to.:D Since their power and authority are limited by law.

Ajetpilot

And, in Kitsap County they have to pass a polygraph test to do so. http://tinyurl.com/3g6yzg2