• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do people even notice?

superdemon

imported post

I OC sometimes, and CC most times. THe times I OC, I don't think many people actually notice.

Most of the general public suffer from "rectal/cranial inversion", and can barely stumble through the day, let alone notice a handgun on someone's hip.

So, I ask, how many of you even know that people notice, and if they do, do they let you know in some way?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC'd in KY over the entire Memorial Day weekend. Visiting some family friends I received my only comment on my sidearm. It was a "Goodness, is that pistol?" and I said, "Yes, ma'am." and she replied, "Oh." That was it. Besides that even at the hotel walking in and out past the desk several times a day, even the clerks didn't seem to notice. I didn't notice any looks from people. Certainly nobody said anything. Even when we took a prolonged stop at a busy quick shop in Lexington in a well traveled area to stretch our legs and have a soda I didn't note any undue interest. Went to several stores including Walmart, ate all our meals out, etc.

Only person who eyeballed me noticably was a man in the restroom at an Indiana rest stop. I was washing/drying my hands and he kept looking at me and best I could tell from periferal vision, he was staring at my hip. After I was finished, he was still at the sink and I smiled and nodded at him as I walked out. Pretty much entirely uneventful (excepting my fiancee getting the chance to OC in KY which was kinda cool).

superdemon

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I OC'd in KY over the entire Memorial Day weekend. Visiting some family friends I received my only comment on my sidearm. It was a "Goodness, is that pistol?" and I said, "Yes, ma'am." and she replied, "Oh." That was it. Besides that even at the hotel walking in and out past the desk several times a day, even the clerks didn't seem to notice. I didn't notice any looks from people. Certainly nobody said anything. Even when we took a prolonged stop at a busy quick shop in Lexington in a well traveled area to stretch our legs and have a soda I didn't note any undue interest. Went to several stores including Walmart, ate all our meals out, etc.

Only person who eyeballed me noticably was a man in the restroom at an Indiana rest stop. I was washing/drying my hands and he kept looking at me and best I could tell from periferal vision, he was staring at my hip. After I was finished, he was still at the sink and I smiled and nodded at him as I walked out. Pretty much entirely uneventful (excepting my fiancee getting the chance to OC in KY which was kinda cool).

Got a sideways glance in a rest stop restroom? That could have went waaaay bad.

LOL!

Your comment about smiling, eye contact, and nodding is the best way to let people know you're not someone they have to worry about, unless they give you a reason. That's the best way to help put people at ease.

Radisma

imported post

yeah when i OC ( which is any time i carry which is pretty much all the time ) if anyone ever makes eye contact with me i always smile at them and nod.

I never try to have shifty eyes and not make eye contact with people who look at me.

I usually would do the same thing if i WASNT oc'ing but doing it more while oc'ing just lets people who may be afraid of ya just a little bit at ease that hey this guys isnt probably bad and going to shoot the place up.