• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone open carry with a shoulder rig?

Custodian

imported post

Sometimes I don't want to carry that big ol' Hi-Point.

I still haven't picked up enough magazines to effectively carry the Browning HP-DA/BDA 380.

However, I am squared away with my Bersa Thunder. I figured when I bought my new suit I'd buy a shoulder rig to "complete the look."

New suit + Bersa Thunder with extra mags = all business, yet casual.

Does anyone else open carry with a shoulder rig?

groovedrummer

imported post

A buddy of mine carries his G23 in a black leather shoulder rig...He likes the feel and balance of a well fit shoulder rig a lot...

I call him "Miami vice".

brokenbarrel

imported post

Custodian wrote:

I still haven't picked up enough magazines to effectively carry the Browning HP-DA/BDA 380.

However, I am squared away with my Bersa Thunder. I figured when I bought my new suit I'd buy a shoulder rig to "complete the look."

in most states its illegal to oc anything other than a belt holster;here in arizona ive seen people oc a leg holster,shoulder holster,ankle holster ect...they are all illegal for oc but people do it anyway i guess when they get caught and its brought to their attention that in the law it states belt holster,they'll claim ignorance and loose their gun rights anyway...oh well some people dont research the law before they act..:banghead:

groovedrummer

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
Custodian wrote:

in most states its illegal to oc anything other than a belt holster;here in arizona ive seen people oc a leg holster,shoulder holster,ankle holster ect...they are all illegal for oc but people do it anyway i guess when they get caught and its brought to their attention that in the law it states belt holster,they'll claim ignorance and loose their gun rights anyway...oh well some people dont research the law before they act..:banghead:

:question: ummm...really?

Ive never heard of such a law, in any state...ever.

did I just miss it?

could you link me to where ever you learned thins so I can do some reading?

curtiswr

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
Custodian wrote:

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.[/font]

:banghead: right back at ya

mel5051

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
Custodian wrote:

I think he may be getting his information from here:

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03102.htm

Subsection G mentions 'belt holster' :

G. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

groovedrummer

imported post

this is my roommates rig, he carry's like this all the time and has never had any trouble.

Picture111.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Thoreau

imported post

mel5051 wrote:
brokenbarrel wrote:
Custodian wrote:

I think he may be getting his information from here:

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03102.htm

Subsection G mentions 'belt holster' :

G. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

Might wanna include the full verbage involved:

"G. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation."

And for reference, subsection A, paragraph 1:

"A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person; or"

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03102.htm

Aside from the fact that one could argue the specifics til the cows come home, this does appear to be an existing law here, and one that is, at least so far as the 'belt' portion is concerned, ignored by law enforcement. Kinda like how TECHnically being with a 1000ft radius of a school would be illegal. Not enforced. (On both counts, thankfully.)

It's also worth noting that the 'permit pursuant to section 13-3112' is a CCW permit for the state of Arizona. A permit that every person I know who carries, has (wether they carry open or concealed, or both.) Assuming posession of that permit, subsection A, paragraph 1 is null and void. Also note that posession of said permit in AZ does *NOT* require that the weapon actually be carried in a concealed manner.

Heh, I guess one could argue that a CCW permit also allows a virtually unlimited range of open carry options that wouldn't normally be available without the permit. Interesting...

Considering the number of non-belt rigs I see just at SGC every time I go there, and the number of cops who all but live there, I can't say I'm too worried, although I am glad this was brought up as it's good information to have no matter what.

That said, this may or may not be even remotely relevant to the OP's state. And, back on topic, sorry, I can't say I have ever tried a shoulder rig. I have definitely considered it but just haven't found a strong enough need or desire to try it yet. =)

Edit: I may have nullified most of what I wrote above by re-reading sub A, P1.

"1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person; or"

Operative word here, 'concealed.' It may depend on how one reads the sentence (if it's referring to any deadly weapon (except a pocket knife) being concealed, or if it means any deadly weapon (via any mode of carry) and is meant to exempt a hidden pocket knife. I'm leaning towards option A myself.