• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does having a Maine Permit allow you to CC at 18+?

xDayan

I know this is mainly an open carry forum, but sometimes it gets too cold to openly carry...

So I've been doing research, the bold part states you can not CC under 21..

AS 11.61.220. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fifth Degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to
(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or
(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;
(B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;
(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;
(3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;
(4) knowingly possesses a firearm
(A) within the grounds of or on a parking lot immediately adjacent to an entity, other than a private residence, licensed as a child care facility under AS 47.32 or recognized by the federal government for the care of children, except that a person 21 years of age or older may posses an unloaded firearm in the trunk of a motor vehicle or encased in a closed container of a motor vehicle;
(B) within a
(i) courtroom or office of the Alaska Court System; or
(ii) courthouse that is occupied only by the Alaska Court System and other justice-related agencies; or
(C) within a domestic violence or sexual assault shelter that receives funding from the state;
(5) possesses or transports a switchblade or a gravity knife; or
(6) is less than 21 years of age and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon, that is concealed on the person.
(b) In a prosecution under (a)(6) of this section, it is an affirmative defense that the defendant, at the time of possession, was
(1) in the defendant's dwelling or on land owned or leased by the defendant appurtenant to the dwelling; or
(2) actually engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or other lawful outdoor activity that necessarily involves the carrying of a weapon for personal protection.
(c) The provisions of (a)(2) and (4) of this section do not apply to a peace officer acting within the scope and authority of the officer's employment.
(d) In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section, it is
(1) an affirmative defense that
(A) [Repealed, Sec. 7 ch 62 SLA 2003].
(B) the loaded firearm was a concealed handgun as defined in AS 18.65.790; and
(C) the possession occurred at a place designated as a restaurant for the purposes of AS 04.16.049 and the defendant did not consume intoxicating liquor at the place;
(2) a defense that the defendant, at the time of possession, was on business premises
(A) owned by or leased by the defendant; or
(B) in the course of the defendant's employment for the owner or lessee of those premises.
(e) For purposes of this section, a deadly weapon on a person is concealed if it is covered or enclosed in any manner so that an observer cannot determine that it is a weapon without removing it from that which covers or encloses it or without opening, lifting, or removing that which covers or encloses it; a deadly weapon on a person is not concealed if it is an unloaded firearm encased in a closed container designed for transporting firearms.
(f) For purposes of (a)(2) and (e) of this section, a firearm is loaded if the
(1) firing chamber, magazine, clip, or cylinder of the firearm contains a cartridge; and
(2) chamber, magazine, clip, or cylinder is installed in or on the firearm.
(g) Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree is a class B misdemeanor.
(h) The provisions of (a)(1) and (6) of this section do not apply to a
(1) peace officer of this state or a municipality of this state acting within the scope and authority of the officer's employment;
(2) peace officer employed by another state or a political subdivision of another state who, at the time of the possession, is
(A) certified as a peace officer by the other state; and
(B) acting within the scope and authority of the officer's employment; or
(3) police officer of this state or a police officer or chief administrative officer of a municipality of this state; in this paragraph, "police officer" and "chief administrative officer" have the meanings given in AS 18.65.290 .
(i) In a prosecution
(1) under (a)(4)(B) of this section, it is a defense that the defendant, at the time of possession, was authorized to possess the firearm under a rule of court;
(2) under (a)(4)(C) of this section, it is a defense that the defendant, at the time of possession, was authorized in writing by the administrator of the shelter to possess the firearm.
(j) In (a)(1) of this section, "contacted by a peace officer" means stopped, detained, questioned, or addressed in person by the peace officer for an official purpose.

However, under 18.65.748, it seems you are considered to be licensed (if you already have a CHP in another state) even at 18...
AS 18.65.748. Permit Holders From Other Jurisdictions Considered Alaska Permit Holders.

A person holding a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun from another state or a political subdivision of another state is a permittee under AS 18.65.700 (b) for purposes of AS 18.65.755 - 18.65.765.

It seems to be since these is no clear wording of age in 18.65.755, you would be considered licensed

I'm just trying to see if this is a loophole, or one of those things that would be up to the cop or the judge...
Edit I got this reply after I email dps
Mr. Dayan,

Thank you for you inquiry concerning your non-resident Maine CCW permit. You are not allowed to possess a firearm concealed on your person below the age of 21 per the Alaska Misconduct Involving Weapons statute you quoted in your email.

I also ran your question by the Department of Law and received the following response:

It is a crime for any person who is less than 21 years of age to possess a firearm concealed on his or her person in Alaska. See, AS 11.61.220(a)(6). It is a crime for any person less than 16 years or age to possess any firearm without the consent of his or her parent/legal guardian. See, AS 11.61.220(a)(3). An Alaska CCW cannot be issued to any person less than 21 years of age.

Bottom Line: Any out of state CCW is invalid to the extent it purports to authorized a person less than 21 years of age to carry concealed in Alaska.

I hope this answers your question.

Bob Gorder
Deputy Commissioner
Department of Public Safety
5700 East Tudor Road
Anchorage, AK 99507
(907) 269-4542

Swampbeast

You can get a Maine permit at 18 as I have done so...but it looks like it will not allow you to carry in Alaska until you are 21

Claytron

If i were you i wouldnt follow grapeshots advice and look to that page for legal advice. This site has a lot of great information but if we all start to just cite this site itself then we wont get anywhere.

The stipulation you bolded in the quote says you cannot have a deadly weapon OTHER THAN an "ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon", exactly what they consider a defensive weapon im not sure but i would imagine a firearm should qualify, if it didnt then it would be interesting to find out what does.