• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does NRA Basic Pistol Course ever expire?

maltaking

Its been about 5 years since I took the NRA Basic Pistol Course. I live in East Windsor Ct. and I am wondering if I will have to retake the class or if it is still valid? Thanks for info.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome friend to the forum.

Moved your query to the Ct. sub-forum as it is state specific.

Can find nothing in the Ct. statutes that would indicate your training certificate would expire. Someone local, more familiar with the specifics, will hopefully chime in soon.

Last edited:

solus

Its been about 5 years since I took the NRA Basic Pistol Course. I live in East Windsor Ct. and I am wondering if I will have to retake the class or if it is still valid? Thanks for info.

welcome, and i am but an out of state wanderer, but what expiration are you wondering will the a five year olde certification effect? getting into state level concealed permit? NRA higher level pistol course?

i can not assist with an answer if you are trying to use the olde certificate for a state level conceal permit, outside my purview.

normally the NRA's basic pistol was considered as a stepping stone to the 'higher' level pistol courses the NRA offers, e.g., personal protection in the home, whose certification is needed to continue into the personal protection outside the home course

that stated, the NRA has incorporated 'pre-course evaluations' into the personal protection course as well as identified acceptable substitutions for the basic pistol course certification, (dd 214 w/pistol qualification, state issued CCW, winchester/nra pistol marksmanship qualification.)

ipse

Last edited:

maltaking

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies! I read the state statues over and it does not say anything about the Nra Certification expiring. I originally asked my local police department and I got two different answers. I think it is just a matter of people hearing one thing and not actually reading the state statues. I will put my application in with my town and if it is denied I will appeal it!

dmjs

NRA Certificates Expire?

Thanks all for the replies! I read the state statues over and it does not say anything about the Nra Certification expiring. I originally asked my local police department and I got two different answers. I think it is just a matter of people hearing one thing and not actually reading the state statues. I will put my application in with my town and if it is denied I will appeal it!

This has come up a few times before and is getting to be an issue here in CT.

Some Local Police Departments will not take an NRA Certificate if it is over one (1) year old. There are others that wont accept it after only three (3) months old, and I have had students contact me with stories of some local police depts. not accepting in between these times. Florida also does this when applying for their permit.

There is no statue stating the expiratory time of an NRA Certificate and one currently does not need one to renew his/her CT Pistol Permit, but I am sure we just put the bug in someone's ear.

What I have done for my students that have had this issue occur, is that I personally have called that local PD and have spoken with the chief's of these departments and they have processed the permit application, but I am sure that someday I will find one that will not.

Don't forget your appeal, as the date for an appeal is a few years away and climbing every day, and our governor wants to do away with the appeal board.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Anyone who wants the correct answer to all this pm me with your contact info....I have the perfect answer

Last edited:

heckle

The NRA Basic Safety course certificate does not expire.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=459846&PM=1

Common Elements

Application Information

There is no expiration date on NRA training certificates. CGS 29-28 states only that the applicant must successfully complete an approved course of training. The NRA site discusses the only certifications with expirations are for instructors.

Sec. 29-28 Permit for sale at retail of pistol or revolver. Permit to carry pistol or revolver. Confidentiality of name and address of permit holder. Permits for out-of-state residents.

(b) Nothing in this section shall require any person who holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver on October 1, 1994, to participate in any additional training in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers.