• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ Requesting More Staffing For CCW Applications

paul@paul-fisher.com

Check cashing could also mean that you just made a contribution to the state because you are not eligible for a permit (as opposed to an incomplete application). Those who submit an incomplete application ought to forfeit at least $25 because they slow down the process for everybody. I am also curious as to why there is concern that some other person might have swiped your CWL (from the mail or otherwise). Not a good thing but what possible benefit could it provide to the thief? Unless he's you identical twin and has your DL/ID, any attempt to display it when required would result in arrest for theft, 941.23, etc.

Paranoia?

oak1971

Check cashing could also mean that you just made a contribution to the state because you are not eligible for a permit (as opposed to an incomplete application). Those who submit an incomplete application ought to forfeit at least $25 because they slow down the process for everybody. I am also curious as to why there is concern that some other person might have swiped your CWL (from the mail or otherwise). Not a good thing but what possible benefit could it provide to the thief? Unless he's you identical twin and has your DL/ID, any attempt to display it when required would result in arrest for theft, 941.23, etc.

That is the most ill advised comment I have read today.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

safcrkr

I'm assuming by "you" it was a generic term used in a broad sense and did not mean me personally... because if you did, it would be the dumbest statement I've read on this site so far, and there's been some real doozies. 3 out-of-state permits in my pocket and 23 times through NICS or DOJ in the past 9 years (last time was DOJ for a handgun buy in late Sept, 2011... like 60 days ago) leaves no doubt whatsoever that I, personally, am eligible. I've known the poster who had his check cashed on the 9th for about 10 years. He too is certainly eligible. Quit grasping for straws trying to explain why those two guys in particular (checks cashed on 7th & 9th) haven't gotten permits yet, and look at the facts and reality of the situation. Today is the 27th. 20 days since app was checked and check cashed, yet nothing issued nor denied, is just business as usual in your opinion?

Stealing and attempting to use someone elses' permit would be a dumbass thing to do. And since we all know scumbags and criminals are all mensa members, none would be that dumb, now would they. That concern was not for myself, as much as it was for the guys who had their checks cashed way back on the 7th, 9th, & 10th, and all had their apps in DOJ's hands on the 2nd. You have a better explanation for why they have not been received yet other than a)lost, b) stolen, c) incompetancy of those issuing?

Don't forget also that those temps hired to do this job for 6 months were hired from the Madison area. Are there any members of WAVE amongst them, who believe that every permit "lost" is a life saved? Stolen doesn't necessarily mean "used".

paul@paul-fisher.com

I'm assuming by "you" it was a generic term used in a broad sense and did not mean me personally... because if you did, it would be the dumbest statement I've read on this site so far, and there's been some real doozies. 3 out-of-state permits in my pocket and 23 times through NICS or DOJ in the past 9 years (last time was DOJ for a handgun buy in late Sept, 2011... like 60 days ago) leaves no doubt whatsoever that I, personally, am eligible. I've known the poster who had his check cashed on the 9th for about 10 years. He too is certainly eligible. Quit grasping for straws trying to explain why those two guys in particular (checks cashed on 7th & 9th) haven't gotten permits yet, and look at the facts and reality of the situation. Today is the 27th. 20 days since app was checked and check cashed, yet nothing issued nor denied, is just business as usual in your opinion?

Stealing and attempting to use someone elses' permit would be a dumbass thing to do. And since we all know scumbags and criminals are all mensa members, none would be that dumb, now would they. That concern was not for myself, as much as it was for the guys who had their checks cashed way back on the 7th, 9th, & 10th, and all had their apps in DOJ's hands on the 2nd. You have a better explanation for why they have not been received yet other than a)lost, b) stolen, c) incompetancy of those issuing?

Don't forget also that those temps hired to do this job for 6 months were hired from the Madison area. Are there any members of WAVE amongst them, who believe that every permit "lost" is a life saved? Stolen doesn't necessarily mean "used".

OMG!!!

What part of 45 days do YOU (to be clear, safcrkr) not understand? You probably would of had a stroke by now if you had applied for a UT permit. It took almost 60 days AFTER they charged my credit card!

Some people got theirs the 2nd of November, around 24 hours after they submitted, others have taken weeks!

Paranoia and conspiracy theories just add to the stereotype that the antis preach.

There can be MANY explanations.

1. Your pile is assigned to a slow person.
2. Your background check is on hold, no matter how many guns you bought in the last however many years. You do realize, they have had a sudden influx of background checks, right?
3. The application, post check depositing, got lost.
4. They issued your license and some felon is now masquerading as you :eyeroll:
5. Your wife is hiding it from you.
6. The Governor is going to personally deliver it to you as the 50,000 permit issued.

Last edited:

safcrkr

OMG!!!

What part of 45 days do YOU (to be clear, safcrkr) not understand? You probably would of had a stroke by now if you had applied for a UT permit. It took almost 60 days AFTER they charged my credit card!

Some people got theirs the 2nd of November, around 24 hours after they submitted, others have taken weeks!

Paranoia and conspiracy theories just add to the stereotype that the antis preach.

There can be MANY explanations.

1. Your pile is assigned to a slow person.
2. Your background check is on hold, no matter how many guns you bought in the last however many years. You do realize, they have had a sudden influx of background checks, right?
3. The application, post check depositing, got lost.
4. They issued your license and some felon is now masquerading as you :eyeroll:
5. Your wife is hiding it from you.
6. The Governor is going to personally deliver it to you as the 50,000 permit issued.

First of all, I'm NOT talking about me, for the 10th, or is it the hundreth, time. Getting tired of repeating myself. There's plenty of people who are in my "time frame" still waiting, plenty been waiting longer. I'm talking about people much further back in the sequence of how this has played out so far, that have heard nothing. Too far back for it to be normal. If I'm the only one who sees this, and cares, then maybe I am paranoid, and I'll shut up (but to be honest, this whole WI forum has been full of "conspiracy theories" from the beginning, so I find that comment ammusing). I waited almost as long for FL to come back, as you waited for UT. I survived, no stroke. :)

The top 3 in your list are the very real possibilities to explain what's happening. Not arguing that point, never did. For a person to wait 18-20 days post check cashing (again, NOT myself) for a background check "delay" is a rediculous explanation. I think #2 can be either eliminated or changed from possible to doubtful. #4 is a very remote possibility, but not out of the question. 5 & 6 are :) just funny. #2 is the best explanation you've given, and issued and lost in mailing (which didn't make your list) is another likelyhood. The bad part is that because they are processing out of sequence, someone who had his check cashed back in the 1st week, but has nothing, is told "shut up, it's not 45 days yet". When it is 45 days, only then can backtracking to find out the problem begin. If you accept that, so be it. I've made my case, I'm done.

edit: I just discovered another possibility. Read this post from another WI based forum.

Link - http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7934#7934

True? I don't know. Just so you know I'm not making this up, I provided a link, but I'll cut & paste it here also:

"I mailed mine early 11/1/11 and the check still had not been cashed. Friday I received my denial letter, "the application address does not match the drivers license". I've lived in the same place 34 years. After looking at the application I discovered that I spelled out the word "Drive" instead of abbreviating it "Dr" as it is on the drivers license. I did not get the check back, They stated when I resubmit, the application fee would be waived."

Seriously? Now there's a "conspiracy theory" even I didn't think of. :) I now know where mine is. I live on a "Lane", and trying to be as efficient as possible, I probably did spell out Lane as I normally do, even though my DL says "LN". Waiting for my rejection letter. :(

Last edited:

apjonas

Could You Explain Why?

That is the most ill advised comment I have read today.

Other than the fact that you just didn't agree with it.

1. The application requirements are well-known, printed on the application and contained within the application questions.
2. Reviewing and returning an incomplete application (and processing a corrected application), ceteris paribus takes more time (=$) than a properly completed application.
3. At any given time there is a finite amount of time to process applications.
4. Therefore a faulty application causes a delay to other applications that follow it.
5. Delays are not a good thing so there should be an incentive to avoid submitting faulty applications.

Perhaps you think the ineligible applicant should get his $50 back? Maybe what can be done is people can put a big blue star on their application if they don't mind being delayed by other people's mistakes. That way folks like yourself can feel good about helping the clueless. I applaud your magnaminity. How do you feel when the person in front of you in the 15 item line at Pick n Save, has 25 items and decides to pay with a check, pulling out the checkbook at the last minute after the cashier has announced the total? Or sitting through an extra traffic light cycle because Elmer Fudd in front of you missed the green because he was scratching his behind? Somehow I doubt that you are as understanding in those situations. Just because the effect of one is less noticeable doesn't make it any less real.

HandyHamlet

How do you feel when the person in front of you in the 15 item line at Pick n Save, has 25 items and decides to pay with a check, pulling out the checkbook at the last minute after the cashier has announced the total? Or sitting through an extra traffic light cycle because Elmer Fudd in front of you missed the green because he was scratching his behind? Somehow I doubt that you are as understanding in those situations. Just because the effect of one is less noticeable doesn't make it any less real.

Wow man.

I was going to type your exact examples out last night and suggest we fine 'em all a $25 "inconvenience tax".

Only I would have been sarcastic.

:lol:

I stand corrected. And I am honored to meet the only member of the human race who has never committed a mistake. Never inconvenienced his fellow man. And never will.

bowdownmaster.gif

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
They must have some real morons processing applications at the DOJ

I snared this from the link safcracker posted

"I mailed mine early 11/1/11 and the check still had not been cashed. Friday I received my denial letter, "the application address does not match the drivers license". I've lived in the same place 34 years. After looking at the application I discovered that I spelled out the word
"Drive" instead of abbreviating it "Dr" as it is on the drivers license."

Reading this makes me angry, very angry! Someones application got declined because they did not use an abbreviation! WTF do they have processing these application? Did the DOJ assign processing tasks to the special olympics teams??

paul@paul-fisher.com

I snared this from the link safcracker posted

"I mailed mine early 11/1/11 and the check still had not been cashed. Friday I received my denial letter, "the application address does not match the drivers license". I've lived in the same place 34 years. After looking at the application I discovered that I spelled out the word
"Drive" instead of abbreviating it "Dr" as it is on the drivers license."

Reading this makes me angry, very angry! Someones application got declined because they did not use an abbreviation! WTF do they have processing these application? Did the DOJ assign processing tasks to the special olympics teams??

Once again, I doubt that is the actual cause. I typed out Street and my DL said St. They did not return mine.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Still Nothing For Me...27 Days & Counting....

After reading the posts about DR. VS Drive...etc...I remembered when I completed my application that my drivers license is wrong but I wrote the correct information on my application. So....who knows? But, my check posted on the 10th so if I had been rejected I should have at least gotten a letter by now???

My D.L. has my eye color wrong and I didn't think much about it. Who cares? Since there is no description of the person ON the C.C. license why would it matter? Or is there a description? Heck, I don't know.

My money is on a bet that my wife will get hers before I do. She mailed hers on the 17th, check posted on the 25th....I will bet she gets her license by end of business this Saturday. When that happens and I still don't have mine I will truly know how wonderful the D.O.J. is for processing our applications. :)

paul@paul-fisher.com

After reading the posts about DR. VS Drive...etc...I remembered when I completed my application that my drivers license is wrong but I wrote the correct information on my application. So....who knows? But, my check posted on the 10th so if I had been rejected I should have at least gotten a letter by now???

Is your address with the state DOT right? It doesn't matter if the DL is actually wrong, as long as the DOT has it right.

We had moved this summer and I had a new DL with my new address. Nancy didn't so on 11/1 I went to the DOT web site and changed her address to our new one and used that address on the CCL application. She got hers the same day I got mine.

msteinhilber

Once again, I doubt that is the actual cause. I typed out Street and my DL said St. They did not return mine.

Same with mine, St. in the WI DOT database (I know for fact, as I just updated it online prior to submitting my application) and I put "Street" on my application - and while I haven't received my permission slip yet they have cashed the check so presumably I have met all the criteria specified adequately and am simply awaiting the background check to come back clean and license to be issued.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Yep, Everything Else Is Correct On My D.L.

Is your address with the state DOT right? It doesn't matter if the DL is actually wrong, as long as the DOT has it right.

We had moved this summer and I had a new DL with my new address. Nancy didn't so on 11/1 I went to the DOT web site and changed her address to our new one and used that address on the CCL application. She got hers the same day I got mine.

Heck, I didn't even notice my eye color was wrong until I filled out the application. What's really interesting is my last drivers license here (Oct, 2010) had my eye color correct so someone had to make it INCORRECT at the DMV when I renewed my license last year.

I honestly think there is a pile somewhere that a state worker is sitting on and not processing.

Since there is no "DATE" block anywhere on the application any state worker can claim "I just got it" and we can never prove it passed 45 days except for the cashed check date from the bank.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Partial quote....

I honestly think there is a pile somewhere that a state worker is sitting on and not processing.

Since there is no "DATE" block anywhere on the application any state worker can claim "I just got it" and we can never prove it passed 45 days except for the cashed check date from the bank.

Its about time the DOJ gave a public explaination of how they are processing apps. Do they sequentially number apps as they are opened and use that number as a control number? Do they even open the mail by date received? Do they identify where a bottle neck is occurring and devote resources to that area? Do they identify processors not performing to a defined standard. Is there a management report accounting for all apps received on a given day? So far it appears to be amateur hour as far as their processing system is concerned.

Last edited:

safcrkr

Heck, I didn't even notice my eye color was wrong until I filled out the application. What's really interesting is my last drivers license here (Oct, 2010) had my eye color correct so someone had to make it INCORRECT at the DMV when I renewed my license last year.

Unless you have a receipt for the postage from USPS, listing date sent, zipcode & P.O. box sent to... like I have. :)

safcrkr

Its about time the DOJ gave a public explaination of how they are processing apps. Do they sequentially number apps as they are opened and use that number as a control number? Do they even open the mail by date received? Do they identify where a bottle neck is occurring and devote resources to that area? Do they identify processors not performing to a defined standard. Is there a management report accounting for all apps received on a given day? So far it appears to be amateur hour as far as their processing system is concerned.

Why??? It hasn't been 45 days yet. <sarcasm off>

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Why??? It hasn't been 45 days yet. <sarcasm off>

What a coincidence, the DOJ said the same thing to me. Can't check on an individual's status now because of confidentiality requirements, but check back with us after 45 days have gone by. Huh??