• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ Requesting More Staffing For CCW Applications

wild boar

I'm not sure if the application...

...are within the expected numbers, lower' or higher. If expectations of the DOJ are met, with regards to the number of applicants, thats about 1,700 per county, wow, thats a lot of powder. boar out.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
44,000 applications in the first 20 days!

If only you were here I could thank you for the DOJ request! It has some very interesting stuff in it. Like the fact that there were 44,000 applications in the first 20 days, and their goal is to go to a completely electronic concealed carry application process by Fiscal Year 2012 - 2013!

One thing struck me as not correct though. The author, Peter Kirby, Executive Budget and Policy Analyst, states that, "There will be sufficient revenue to support this request." And then goes on to quote figures that suggest the revenue will be MORE THAN ENOUGH to cover costs. Yet Act 35 states,
175.60 (7)
(c) A license fee in an amount, as determined by the
department by rule, that is equal to the cost of issuing the
license but does not exceed $37. The department shall
determine the costs of issuing a license by using a 5−year
planning period.
(d) A fee for a background check that is equal to the
fee charged under s. 175.35 (2i).
This program, by law, is not supposed to turn into a cash cow for the DOJ and if the costs of licensing are lower than $37.00, we early applicants should get a refund of the difference.

Last edited:

wiscollector

Banned
Any hiring of FTEs above the initial amount will be a waste of tax dollars.

At some point applications submitted will taper off to only a very small amount.

At some point in time two years from now, forms submitted may be as low as 10 per day?????

At that time, what are all those FTEs going to do?

As they reach the 5 year mark, there will once again be lots of renewals to process.

All of this could be handled by Temps.

BROKENSPROKET

Got Cash Gotta Spend It. 6 weeks training to see if a box is checked yes or no???

I am not picking on you specifically, but that attitude has been expressed by many here and I equate it to Richy Rich who blows a transmission and expects it to have it dropped and rebuilt and put back in before he gets back from having lunch across the street. These kind of expectations come from people that cannot or do not want to comprehend what a task really requires.

Last edited:

msteinhilber

I am not picking on you specifically, but that attitude has been expressed by many here and I equate it to Richy Rich who blows a transmission and expects it to have it dropped and rebuilt and put back in before he gets back from having lunch across the street. These kind of expectations come from people that cannot or do not want to comprehend what a task really requires.

Six weeks of training to do the tasks these people are performing is an obscene amount of time to train and comparing paper pushers to removing, rebuilding and reinstalling a transmission is asinine. I've trained people with no prior knowledge to accomplish fairly advanced tasks in a week or two, if it's taking six weeks to train these workers - somebody is doing it wrong or the quality of the help is piss poor.

E6chevron

Just some notes from the scanned documents.

25,000 applications received in the first four days.
30,000 applications received in the first eight days.
44,000 applications received as of Nov. 21 (twenty days)

125,000 applications estimated for this fiscal year, ending June 30, 2012.

Former federal LEO CCW certificates will renew annually

ANALYSIS section, page 2 of Nov. 22nd letter from Peter Kirby to Mike Huebsch, Secretary Department of Administration.

"Presently, the department is only able to process about 400 applications a day or approximately 10 percent of total applications received."

My math says more like 1 percent per day, based on their daily processing figures.

markush

"Presently, the department is only able to process about 400 applications a day or approximately 10 percent of total applications received."

Who's BSing who now? Lets see, there was a post in this forum of someone being issued permit #11,xxx on the 19th. By my math 11,000 permits issued in 19 days...11,000/19 = 578 permits per day average. And we all know that the first week was a train wreck and they are well over 600 permits a day now.

oak1971

Six weeks of training to do the tasks these people are performing is an obscene amount of time to train and comparing paper pushers to removing, rebuilding and reinstalling a transmission is asinine. I've trained people with no prior knowledge to accomplish fairly advanced tasks in a week or two, if it's taking six weeks to train these workers - somebody is doing it wrong or the quality of the help is piss poor.

Ding! Only a moron would take 6 weeks to learn how to proofread the app, compare the submitted training docs to the current standard, and do a background check.

Its not a complex technical task. I perform complex technical tasks daily and can tell the difference.

BROKENSPROKET

Who's BSing who now? Lets see, there was a post in this forum of someone being issued permit #11,xxx on the 19th. By my math 11,000 permits issued in 19 days...11,000/19 = 578 permits per day average. And we all know that the first week was a train wreck and they are well over 600 permits a day now.

I was scouting several forums W-F last week for #'s and issue dates and graphed them. I figured over 850 a day for those 3 days and knew they wouldl be well past the 10,000 mark by Sunday. They did that. Now this is a holiday week and imagine they only worked 3 days, M-W and maybe they will come back Friday, but I doubt it.

bluehighways

All of this crap could have been easily avoided had the DOJ been on the ball from the day our new law was passed. Instead they waited until the absolute last minute for EVERYTHING, and are now backed up worse than me after eating too much cheese.

I am also mentally kicking myself for not taking the day off work Nov.1st and just driving the 4 hours down to the damn DOJ and dropping off my application in person. This waiting and waiting and waiting just sucks!

Last edited:

oak1971

Hmm... more staffing, "license" fees, funding empty suits, waiting for bureaucrats...or

Constitutional Carry. No fees, no paper pushers, more freedom. Nah, that would never work. :rolleyes:

nevinsb

I was scouting several forums W-F last week for #'s and issue dates and graphed them. I figured over 850 a day for those 3 days and knew they wouldl be well past the 10,000 mark by Sunday. They did that. Now this is a holiday week and imagine they only worked 3 days, M-W and maybe they will come back Friday, but I doubt it.

Really doubt that, it's a 4 day gov holiday.

paul@paul-fisher.com

All of this crap could have been easily avoided had the DOJ been on the ball from the day our new law was passed. Instead they waited until the absolute last minute for EVERYTHING, and are now backed up worse than me after eating too much cheese.

It would of been easier just passing Constitutional Carry.

safcrkr

I am also mentally kicking myself for not taking the day off work Nov.1st and just driving the 4 hours down to the damn DOJ and dropping off my application in person. This waiting and waiting and waiting just sucks!

Me too. I'm self employed and don't get paid days off, and being a 500 mile round trip away, I figured it'd cost me $400-500 to do just that, with lost income, gas, parking, etc. So I trusted they'd do a good, FAIR, job of processing in order received. I was 1st in line at my post office on the 1st, and they got my app on the 2nd. They cashed my check two weeks ago... but I'm still waiting. People who mailed the day after DOJ had my app already have permits. They probably just kept dumping more on a pile that I was in, and I kept getting deeper & deeper.