• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double Edged Knifes

DangerClose

Which is really scary as these type of knives are available (new) at evey flea market and most "sport shows" I have ever been to...

It's also unfortunate that spring-assisted knives are (apparently) illegal when I would think they could help people far more than they could hurt. If you're in a car accident, your car is on fire, and you're stuck in your seat belt and have a broken arm, you're going to thank the gods if you have a spring-assisted knife. Meanwhile, a bad guy can generally plan ahead an extra few seconds and get his regular knife open in time to do his evil deeds anyway.

Sort of like "high-capacity" magazines. Bad guys who go shooting up a place tend to plan ahead and carry spare mags on them in strategic locations. But the honest citizen hearing a bump in the night and quickly grabbing his gun to protect his family will tend to only have one mag. ...which is one reason why I don't care for something like a single-stack 1911 for the home, but that's a different thread.

Kind of amusing I can possess a powerful gun, and even carry it without a permit or anything because I'm a good, lawful citizen, yet I can't have a spring-assisted knife because someone is scared it opens in one second instead of two.

Anyway, the hypothetical examples of owned knives in this thread was good for learning and discussion.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
My throwing knives are all double-edged.............

And my Dewalt folding utility razor knife opens readily with a little flick of the wrist, as did my Spyderco knives (until they went missing)

Anything can be used as a weapon, even though it's original design may have been for something totally different. Lets look at a tire-iron for an example. Most every person has one in their vehicle, many people have been beaten with one., but do cops go around pulling people over and confiscating peoples tire changing tool? Do they arrest people for having that very needful tool in their car? So what if it is under the front seat, it is just as out of view any other place in the vehicle too. At least the kids won't get to it so easy if it is under the seat, and it doesn't rattle there either.

BUT! if a cop ask's "Whats the tire iron for?" and if you answer anything besides "Duh, for changing tires" I can almost guarantee if he charges you for an illegally concealed weapon, that you will also be found guilty in court.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Nothing against double edged knives in Wisconsin law.

I think I remember someone said double edged knives are illegal, federal law, I think.

My son sharpened the back edge on one of his hunting knives. Before I grind it down, defacing his craftmanship, I want to make sure that it is infact illegal. Please, if you can, cite the law so that I can cite it to him, so he does not get mad at me.

There is no statute in Wisconsin against the possession of double edged knives. There are some valid reasons for having them. If you are using the knife to defend yourself, then it is harder to disarm you without getting cut, as well as offering more options for slashing strokes and potentially easier penetration with thrusts.

It also gives you another edge when the first one gets dull.

I generally prefer single edges, myself, but there are valid reasons for double edged knives, and they are legal in Wisconsin.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

No one has posted a citation to a statute prohibiting double-edged knives in Wisconsin, thank you.

Outdoorsman1

It's a Miracle

There I was, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I just happen to be looking out over the frozen lake that I had my recent high speed canoeing accident when I saw something glimmering in the sunlite (miracle bing it was a cloudy day). I went out to see what it was and sure enough, Santa must have been scouting the area because only he would know what I wanted for Christmas. It must have fell out of his sled.

Problem solved... 100% legal....

Mine 1 (1).jpg

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Maybe you could show a picture of your Christmas miracle blade...

There I was, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I just happen to be looking out over the frozen lake that I had my recent high speed canoeing accident when I saw something glimmering in the sunlite (miracle bing it was a cloudy day). I went out to see what it was and sure enough, Santa must have been scouting the area because only he would know what I wanted for Christmas. It must have fell out of his sled.

Problem solved... 100% legal....

View attachment 7605

Outdoorsman1

I like the look and effectiveness of double edged blades for defensive use, but cannot quite justify carrying one when my little Cold Steel Voyager with only a 5.5 inch blade works so well for so many things. I don't know of any defensive firearms instructor who doesn't also carry a knife.