• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drinking

Glocklover20

Hi, im im jackson for a while so I hate to go anywhere without my gun, especially since I have my family
With me, An old friend called and wanted to have some beers and dinner, can anyone show me the law on this, I no drinking around any firearm is a bad idea, but I want to have LITERALLY one beer, not Going to get me drunk. I Just want to make sure I stay safe and within the limits of the law. Sorry for any typos, grammer issues....its hard to type on this little iphone.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-101

MISSISSIPPI CODE of 1972

*** Current through the 2013 Regular Session and 1st and 2nd Extraordinary Sessions ***

TITLE 45. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER
CHAPTER 9. WEAPONS
LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED PISTOL OR REVOLVER

Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-101 (2013)

Seems there is nothing that specifically addresses carrying while under the influence (here in Va there is no statutory definition so theoretically we could be busted for blowing a 0.001).

The question now moves from a legal one to one of public perception. Contrary to what Mr. mcbeth says, there are always some people who care very much.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-101

MISSISSIPPI CODE of 1972

*** Current through the 2013 Regular Session and 1st and 2nd Extraordinary Sessions ***

TITLE 45. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER
CHAPTER 9. WEAPONS
LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED PISTOL OR REVOLVER

Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-101 (2013)

Seems there is nothing that specifically addresses carrying while under the influence (here in Va there is no statutory definition so theoretically we could be busted for blowing a 0.001).

The question now moves from a legal one to one of public perception. Contrary to what Mr. mcbeth says, there are always some people who care very much.

stay safe.

45-9-101 is in respect to issuance of a license ... really not regulating actual carry...it has the following subsections:

(e) Does not chronically or habitually abuse controlled substances to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses controlled substances to the extent that his faculties are impaired if the applicant has been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to a treatment facility for the abuse of a controlled substance or been found guilty of a crime under the provisions of the Uniform Controlled Substances Law or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances within a three-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

(f) Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been voluntarily or involuntarily committed as an alcoholic to a treatment facility or has been convicted of two (2) or more offenses related to the use of alcohol under the laws of this state or similar laws of any other state or the United States within the three-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

Seems like they want you to be free of being a alcoholic or drug fiend for 3 years prior to the application.

I'll assume that Skids rest of examination, that there is no law regarding carrying w/any specific BAC, then there is no "line" for BAC.

Of course, if a cop is asking you questions, you should not answer them. Never. For any reason. I won't even give them a "witness statement" for crimes I observed .. as ANYTHING you say can be used to convict you of a crime. There is no "officer friendly" anymore ~ it exists only on TV reruns .... any cop talking to a person, I would assume, is trying to gather evidence to affect a conviction.

georg jetson

If you're asking about open carry in Ms, the legislature doesnt have the authority to regulate it. So far, the legislature has obeyed the law when it comes to establishments that serve alcohol. I frequent Shaggy's in Pass Christian often and have enjoyed many Coronas with my meals. I spend my money in Ms for this very reason.

If you cant control yourself when you drink then stop drinking. Firearms are irrelevant to that discusion.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you're asking about open carry in Ms, the legislature doesnt have the authority to regulate it. So far, the legislature has obeyed the law when it comes to establishments that serve alcohol. I frequent Shaggy's in Pass Christian often and have enjoyed many Coronas with my meals. I spend my money in Ms for this very reason.

If you cant control yourself when you drink then stop drinking. Firearms are irrelevant to that discusion.

I would agree - now if you unholster your gun and start shooting it for no good apparent reason, then I'm sure other laws would come into play.