• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Easy CCW Renewal

Griz

This is for Jefferson county and a bit off Open Carry topic, but for others that may be concerned...

I couldn't find much information on renewing my CCW. The RSMO were not very friendly reading and calling the sherriffs office for a week of nobody answering was pretty frustrating.

Apparently you just need to show up at the front desk with $50 cash or check (don't bring a $100 bill, they cant break it). Give em your old one to verify, sign two permission slips (one is a copy), and you're out the door. Head to the nearest Dept of Revenue Branch office, get your mug shot taken, and for $5.50 you can have three more years of hitching up your pants.

Easier than I expected but a pain in the ass to find out how to get it done.

Redbaron007

IIRC, some will do another background check, less time than originally, so you will not be able to walk in and walk out...unless the Sheriff has a dedicated person to handle renewals. Here in Greene county, you have to make an appointment with the sheriff; they will do the background check before you get there, then you can walk in and walk out. Here is the link for our renewal process.

Have you completed the renewal? Did they run a background check (whatever it is)?

Interesting.....statute doesn't require a renewal background check......makes me think something is fishy....but it doesn't say they can't. Interesting....

Festus_Hagen

In Cole county it took me 5 minutes from the time I walked in to walking out. No BG check, no money for renewal , just another slip to take to DMV for my ID .

5 bux and 5 more minutes I was out of there as well .

Griz

Have you completed the renewal? Did they run a background check (whatever it is)?

Interesting.....statute doesn't require a renewal background check......makes me think something is fishy....but it doesn't say they can't. Interesting....

That was my problem reading the statute. It almost infers a background check may be done. He11, it almost infers the whole training process is required if you read into it. No "should", "shall", or anything like that. Only thing really specified is the $50 fee.

In my case I was in / out, took 5 minutes. No check. Just verified my current CCW. Gave me a receipt for DOR, got a pic taken, voila - a flashy new ID.

xdmcompact

Renewed mine a little over a year ago, was $50 dollars, walked in gave ID paid then went to DMV. Total renewal is $61 dollars. $50 for license and $11 dollars for non driver ID. This is St Louis City. Would like the city to go to every five years but that won't happen they want every dime they can get. Renewal is every 3 years.

Redbaron007

That was my problem reading the statute. It almost infers a background check may be done. He11, it almost infers the whole training process is required if you read into it. No "should", "shall", or anything like that. Only thing really specified is the $50 fee.

In my case I was in / out, took 5 minutes. No check. Just verified my current CCW. Gave me a receipt for DOR, got a pic taken, voila - a flashy new ID.

Renewed mine a little over a year ago, was $50 dollars, walked in gave ID paid then went to DMV. Total renewal is $61 dollars. $50 for license and $11 dollars for non driver ID. This is St Louis City. Would like the city to go to every five years but that won't happen they want every dime they can get. Renewal is every 3 years.

Congrats! :cool:

Here, they will not renew unless you make an appointment......they only do it at certain times....at my renewal, my appointment was over 2 weeks out. I may cozy up to my Sheriff at the next time we are at a meeting and just see what his thoughts are.

M1A shooter

CCW costs

This one of the reason I and many others don't have a ccw endorcement, a very limited budget. It does not allow for up to 200 dollars for the required training class and the cost of the "permission". Then every three years it's another 50-60 dollars. This is a direct infringement on the rights of people with little income. The costs of the firearms is bad enough( I bought all mine when I had a good job as well as a plentiful ammo supply) then the State socks it to us with training fees and fees for a permit to exercise our Second Amendment rights. To add the icing to the carry cake the RSMo statutes contradict themselves and then allow cities to strip us of the right open carry.

REALteach4u

This is for Jefferson county and a bit off Open Carry topic, but for others that may be concerned...

I couldn't find much information on renewing my CCW. The RSMO were not very friendly reading and calling the sherriffs office for a week of nobody answering was pretty frustrating.

Apparently you just need to show up at the front desk with $50 cash or check (don't bring a $100 bill, they cant break it). Give em your old one to verify, sign two permission slips (one is a copy), and you're out the door. Head to the nearest Dept of Revenue Branch office, get your mug shot taken, and for $5.50 you can have three more years of hitching up your pants.

Did you read those "permission slips"? I'd be interested in knowing if one was a consent for a follow-up background check.

IIRC, some will do another background check, less time than originally, so you will not be able to walk in and walk out...unless the Sheriff has a dedicated person to handle renewals. Here in Greene county, you have to make an appointment with the sheriff; they will do the background check before you get there, then you can walk in and walk out. Here is the link for our renewal process.

Nothing amiss. If the issuing Sheriff's Department is performing their due diligence then they will conduct that background check every 3 years, even if it's a quick NCIC check to see if anything new has popped up. The reason behind that is where it says in the statute that if you become ineligible at any time your permit can be revoked as well as if the Sheriff receives ANY disqualifying record he/she SHALL revoke within 24 hours of receiving that record.

I'd say it's pretty smart if they do conduct a background check every 3 years. Very simple CYA for the Sheriff and the applicant.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Did you read those "permission slips"? I'd be interested in knowing if one was a consent for a follow-up background check.

Nothing amiss. If the issuing Sheriff's Department is performing their due diligence then they will conduct that background check every 3 years, even if it's a quick NCIC check to see if anything new has popped up. The reason behind that is where it says in the statute that if you become ineligible at any time your permit can be revoked as well as if the Sheriff receives ANY disqualifying record he/she SHALL revoke within 24 hours of receiving that record.

I'd say it's pretty smart if they do conduct a background check every 3 years. Very simple CYA for the Sheriff and the applicant.

So if I object to the additional delay in my renewal, where does the statute say I have to do another one at renewal? So if some sheriffs office are doing one, others are not, what does this mean? It means, some sheriffs are going beyond the statute and subjecting the permit holder to a higher standard than what the statute says. When did the sheriff's office get to do more than what is required by law for a permit? What is the CYA? If the sheriff office is following the statutes, that is their CYA...going beyond is violating the statute, regardless of how good feeling it is.

As a permit holder, i have obligations to report certain activities, plus if the sheriff is notified of issues, they can revoke my permit. However, the statute doesn't require, at renewal, another back ground check. Plus, having to set an appointment that is two, three weeks out for renewal raises questions.

OC for ME

I would like to see a drive-thru at the St Chuck county sheriff's office. That would be very easy.