• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emerald City Comicon.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I am planning on going to the Emerald City Comicon tomorrow SAT the 30th. It's at the Washington Sate Convention Center. Has anyone carried there before. Do you know if they make a big deal like some other centers? I know the RCW's on the subject. I just wanted to hear from others their experiences there. Is anyone else planning on Going to the COMICON? Also I looked on the website and could not find anything containing anything on firearms.

Thanks

SigGuy23

911Grunt

I know at other Con's I've been to they have a 'banding' requirement for any weapons so they cannot be removed from holsters/sheaths.

Wolfebane

Is the convention center public or private property? (never been) and if its public property but can be rented out (by the con) can the con do that to your weapon (since it is basically denying you your right to defend yourself (I can see it now, you die in a gun fight due to lack of a knife).

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Is the convention center public or private property? (never been) and if its public property but can be rented out (by the con) can the con do that to your weapon (since it is basically denying you your right to defend yourself (I can see it now, you die in a gun fight due to lack of a knife).

It's the washington State Convention Center. It is public. Ran by the State. The Con does rent it yes. I'm pretty sure they don't have the right, but not completley certain. That's why I asked on here. As far as the knife goes, I always have a knife on me too. So no worries on that.

Vitaeus

It is called "peace bonding" and most gaming/comic/etc conventions do it so the folks in the costumes don't forget that they aren't really Captain Kirk and pull out a "phaser" or "Bakla" when they get insulted. Never really considered it from the self-defense angle, but if they are a private renter, they likely can limit carry of firearms or blades as part of admittance.

fire suppressor

I have not been to comic-con but I have been to PAX it also is held at the same convention center. I open carried at PAX and there so many master chiefs running around no one even noticed my gun. Last time I went to PAX there was no metal detectors or pat downs I just walked right in. The only comments I had where from a few different people who came up to me and said "wow! Your gun looks really real!" Then they where off again, not sure on comic-con but I had no problems at PAX

Schlepnier

The center itself is public and must allow you to OC/CC however some of the event organisers will kick you out if you do as part of their user agreement.

sakura-con(which i helped star back in 97') is next weekend and they have a strict no functional weapons policy. if you show up with one they will revoke your membership and not let you into any of the event areas.

Not certain what comicons policies are, you may want to peak at their site.

Stat

?

I was there and I swore some of these guns were real. I’m not talking about the space guns and steampuck stuff. I’m talking about revolvers and in one case an ar. People had bows with knocked arrows and swords and knifes so it just seem to fit. There was not a lot of holstering going on seeing most pointing and posing for pictures.

fire suppressor

I did end up going Sunday I was there from 1-5 when it shut down and had a great time it was my first comic-con. I picked up a few comics to read, met phoenix jones and got George Takei and Lea Thompson's (Michael jay fox's girlfriend in back to they future) autograph. And yes guys Lea is still as cute and adorable as she was in the movie she gave me a hug and made me blush in front of my girlfriend.

As stated above there was a LOT of weapons there and yes some of them did look very real. I too saw a few bows with knocked arrows, real arrows. I had no idea what to expect and just wanted to go have fun and not worry about anything so decided to CC my pocket revolver. Once I was there I did not think it would have been a problem the police presence was also minimal at best but looking at the clientele they had all the police they needed no one was going to start anything.

So I ended up CC out of convenience witch you may or may not agree with but I really wanted a low key stress free day and that is exactly what I got. I would go again

antispam540

I went on Friday and Saturday. I took my PS-90 with me, and got it signed by Christopher Judge and Jason Momoa from Stargate. Chris was even kind enough to hold the P90 for a photo op :D I wasn't the only one carrying real guns, but everyone I saw had theirs peace-bonded and were carrying them safely.

Friday was really good, but Saturday was *extremely* packed. We ended up waiting in line for 3 hours for Summer Glau, then left because my wife and I were both getting claustrophobic :S

tombrewster421

I went on Friday and Saturday. I took my PS-90 with me, and got it signed by Christopher Judge and Jason Momoa from Stargate. Chris was even kind enough to hold the P90 for a photo op :D I wasn't the only one carrying real guns, but everyone I saw had theirs peace-bonded and were carrying them safely.

Friday was really good, but Saturday was *extremely* packed. We ended up waiting in line for 3 hours for Summer Glau, then left because my wife and I were both getting claustrophobic :S

I want one!