• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty Holster Protest

hunter45

imported post

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=310228767578

Empty Holster Protest 2010

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is proudly announcing our fourth annual Empty Holster Protest.

The protest – the fourth of its kind since SCCC’s inception in 2007 – will take place during the week of April 5-9, 2010.

The event will involve SCCC members and supporters everywhere across the United States donning empty holsters once again while attending classes as an act of silent protest against laws and policies that discriminate against legally armed citizens.

SCCC members firmly believe that students, faculty, staff and visitors who are legally authorized to carry concealed firearms for protection have no compelling reason to be denied this right on a college campus and that laws against armed citizens protect only criminals.

Participants can sign up on the event’s Facebook page, which has already attracted hundreds of participants.

Posters, tip sheets, form letters, protest guidelines and further tools will be made available to participants in the weeks leading up to the protest.
For inquiries, please contact David Burnett or visit SCCC’s State-by-State page to contact your Regional Director.

http://www.concealedcampus.org

Dreamer

imported post

I'll be participating in this at my campus, but with a twist. I'm planning to have a copy of the Bill of Rights" tucked into my Serpa, printed in a period-looking typeface, but with the phrase "VOID ON CAMPUS" in a transparent stencil font printed in red across the top. And I'll have a bunch of NC flyers and cards in my pocket too...
Actually, I won't be participating this year. As per SCCC's recommendation, I stopped in to the college police office earlier this week and let them know I'd be doing this and handed them copies of the flyer from SCCC. They told me that if I did that I would most likely be sanctioned and disciplined by the school because SCCC is not a "recognized campus organization" on our campus, and such an activity would be considered "disruptive behaviour" and might get me arrested, or thrown out of school.

So now, I'm working on a BUNCH of First Amendment posters to hang all over campus...

JDriver1.8t

imported post

^^^I'm shocked to hear you accepted that answer. That school has had two or three previous empty holster events under its belt.
They really have no grounds to tell you that you can't, as is what the head of the NC schools board of directors (forget his actual title atm) told me directly here at NCSU.

Dreamer

imported post

Actually, your info is incorrect.

The Chancellor and BOD of a University are ultimately the arbiters of the "code of conduct" of any given campus. If I were to be charged with violating the code of conduct" or "creating an environment where students feel unsafe", they can, under ECU's published code of conduct, sanction, punish, or even expel me.

There are some issues where I think this would be difficult for them to do because of the massive support from students and faculty that would come to my aid, like for 1A issues. (being an MFA candidate and an art student gives me a TREMENDOUS amount of leeway with regards to printing and publishing with regards to the "code of conduct"). But this campus is so absolutely brainwashed with regards to the anti-gun agenda that finding any meaningful support against sanction for something like an empty-holster-related harassment would be VERY difficult. The Administration is frothingly anti-gun. The campus police know less about the law than your average hybrid-driving soccer mom, and the student body are mostly comprised of brainwashed sheeple and voluntary victims.

I've got another year to 1) develop a circle of support among students and faculty, and 2) establish myself as a law-abiding, productive, and valuable member of the MFA program and as an assistant instructor. Once I've made myself valuable, respectable, and KNOWN among the school, then I think I will be able to push the issue a little harder.

And in a year, I can post flyers, take people on "range trips" and get other students and faculty to see the truth of the situation, which is that NC laws are racist and violate both the State and US Constitution.

Using the 1A to support the 2A--that's my plan...

elixin77

imported post

dreamer, i'll back you up. I'm only one person, but every man counts.

I know a couple people who would be able to help, so thats at least a start.

I still find it weird that they think that an empty holster protest is disruptive activity, when (I had an empty holster for the week, but I did not notify the ECU police) only one student noticed the holster the entire week. I pointed him to the facebook page, and he said that it was a really good idea.

I can't think of how (in my case) some nylon with Velcro and a metal clip counts as a disruptive activity....

Dreamer

imported post

Maybe it's because I have a Serpa holster. The molded profile of the Serpa can look awfully scary to the "sheeple".

Are you a student? I'm a grad student, but I'm only on campus two or three times a week. We need to get together for lunch or something. I spend most of my time in Jenkins (that's where my classes and office is).

If you see any 1A flyers or posters about political dissent around campus in the next few weeks, it's probably my work... ;)

elixin77

imported post

yeah I'm a student. I'm split all over right now, but Sci and Tech, Brewster, and Speight for me right now. I'm mechanical design, and the class loadout has me all over right now.

funds are tight right now, but maybe later in the week or late next week, we can work something out. What are your office hours? I may be able to swing by sometime and at least introduce myself

i'll keep an eye peeled for your posters, and then critique them :)

cmull

I understand this is a pretty old thread, but this is coming back up next month! Is anyone else taking part in it? I am at Radford University.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I understand this is a pretty old thread, but this is coming back up next month! Is anyone else taking part in it? I am at Radford University.
If there is a planned event, please post the information and a link to it.

Haven't seen anything here on it yet.