• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

encounter with columbia co sheriff

carpman15

was sunday of opening weekend of deer hunting i was driving out to my spot not paying enough attention to my speed since i dont have cruise and notice cop come over hill he turned around and pulled me over .. i had my 357 on my hip in oc holster and my HK(loaded uncased) under my jacket on the seat next to me and my rifle in the case on passenger side and a 12ga (cased) on the top of the seat back (standard cab pickup) i rolled down my window and put one hand on the steering wheel and one out the door on the window frame he walked up i told him i was armed right away he asked if i had a ccw license and i said its oc he said ok where is it on your right hip i said yes he asked if there were any more weapons in the truck i told him about my HK and my rifle ( i had forgotten about the 12ga since it had been there for about a month) he said ok well im going to have you step out of the vehicle i said ok no problem i got out and he then asked me to take my 357 out of the holster and i did just to appease him ( looking back i should have told him i didnt want to since most neg. disch. happen at this time but oh well) then he asked if my HK was cased he informed me that it should be in a case i said i didnt think it had to with a ccw lic. he then said oh well in that case it doesnt have to be and asked for my ccw lic. all in all the encounter wasnt too bad - he was even nice enough to give me a warning for the speed- but i found it kind of odd that he wanted me to unholster

has anyone else run into this ???

paul@paul-fisher.com

Kinda weird. I would not touch my gun. If you had it in your hand and he shot you he would probably get away with it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

carpman15

i hadnt even thought of that but i made sure that i was turned so he could see me and what i was doing etc but i dont know i guess he could have gotten all pissed and agressive if i hadnt obeyed him too

Firearms Iinstuctor

First off I wouldn't have told him when he looked into the cab he would have saw the gun cases and you most likley dressed in blaze orange. For me that was a huge hint when I made a traffic stop that there was a gun in the vehicle.

If he would have asked I would have told him and told him I had a CCL, permit, what ever you want to call it.

Why he had you unholster thats a good one if there ever a change to use it against him that would be the time.

Because he was expecting movement and his reaction to something bad would be slowed because of that.

Over all you didn't recived a exspensive speeding citation and nothing bad happened.

It could have been handled better but then it could have been handled a lot worst.

keepyourreceipt

Coming from a law enforcement background, the scenario I picture is a little different. Even if this particular cop was totally cool and wanted you to unholster, lets say at that exact moment another cop walks up from behind you or from the side. The second cop hasn't heard the first cop ask you to unholster and does not know what is going on. But what does he see? He sees a citizen pull a gun and hold it in his hand in front of a fellow officer. That could end very badly. For me personally, I would have stated that I didn't feel comfortable reaching for or unholstering the gun for safety reasons. Just my opinion.

OC for ME

Coming from a law enforcement background, the scenario I picture is a little different. Even if this particular cop was totally cool and wanted you to unholster, lets say at that exact moment another cop walks up from behind you or from the side. The second cop hasn't heard the first cop ask you to unholster and does not know what is going on. But what does he see? He sees a citizen pull a gun and hold it in his hand in front of a fellow officer. That could end very badly. For me personally, I would have stated that I didn't feel comfortable reaching for or unholstering the gun for safety reasons. Just my opinion.
^^^This^^^

Cops have killed in error and have been found to have acted within the law.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

I think I would have declined his request for me to remove my pistol from its holster, If I did not have a choice to not disarm, I would instead remove the holster entirely with the pistol still in it.
But at the same time, I am not one to volunteer information if I am armed or not.

paul@paul-fisher.com

My last LEO encounter, he asked me to step out of the car and interlace my fingers across my chest while standing by the back of the car. I complied and it was OK.

Previous one to that, she didn't even tell me to do anything special but I told her what I was doing each time I moved my hands and tried to keep them on the steering wheel.

GlockRDH

Being in Columbia County, Id be interested in knowing which deputy that was... The ones Ive asked said they dont care one way or the other if you tell them or not. I personally have been pulled over and havent told them.
Besides, during hunting season in WI, EVERYONE has guns in their vehicles! :)