• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eric Cantor - "A+" Rated and NRA-PVF Endorsed

davidmcbeth

Banned
(my bold/italics above)

I've seen the interviews with him and it is absolutely NOT THE CASE that he said any such thing. Someone else's spin - IF there was such a thing, is not his.

I suggest you either provide a link or stop putting out bad information.

I would believe that his religion played a role. Who does not think that Romney being a moron did not hurt him?

Some folks won't vote for a jew, mormon, or catholic. Not that they are not electable, but it is a factor no doubt.

va_tazdad

I would believe that his religion played a role. Who does not think that Romney being a moron did not hurt him?

Some folks won't vote for a jew, mormon, or catholic. Not that they are not electable, but it is a factor no doubt.

Whereas he was a member of his faith when he was elected 7 times before, and never hid it because it was not a factor, I doubt it had anything to do with his loss.

It was more that he stopped listening to the voters and the Democrats that could vote against him because they didn't "have a dog in this fight".

OC for ME

Being a Mormon did not hurt Romney, being nothing but more of the same is what hurt Romney. Cantor is....was nothing but more of the same and as such he hurt himself. The voters will try out this new guy, if he ends up being more of the same he'll get the boot too.

Liberty-or-Death

I live in the 7th district, and I voted for Brat and against Cantor. Why? I was tired of the status quo attitude of the house GOP and identify strongly with tea party values. I also know first hand that many Dems voted for Brat just to oust Cantor.

μολών λαβέ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I live in the 7th district, and I voted for Brat and against Cantor. Why? I was tired of the status quo attitude of the house GOP and identify strongly with tea party values. I also know first hand that many Dems voted for Brat just to oust Cantor.

μολών λαβέ
How was that determined....and how 1st hand?

Liberty-or-Death

Former coworkers are heavily involved in gay rights activism and progressive activism in general. They were encouraging this in a"get out the vote" effort they publicised. No, I don't have a cite I can point to in print.

μολών λαβέ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

μολών λαβέ

Former coworkers are heavily involved in gay rights activism and progressive activism in general. They were encouraging this in a"get out the vote" effort they publicised. No, I don't have a cite I can point to in print.

μολών λαβέ

Yep - got that it wasn't 1st hand knowledge of Dems actually voting for Brat, but rather 2nd or 3rd hand hearsay - they effect of which is apparently unknown.

Have no doubt that some did as you suggest with your "artistic license;" however, I make no claim as to their impact on the election.

Repeater

Look, the Progs will say anything that they feel benefits them. So they wish to take, or steal, credit for Cantor going down in flames:

Cooter Has A Plan To Unseat Eric Cantor. It's So Crazy It Just Might Work.

See! It's Cooter's fault. Or credit. Hubris? Wait:

Eric Cantor's Pollster Tries to Explain Why His Survey Showed Cantor Up 34 Points - This was not the first time Cantor pollster John McLaughlin has been wrong.

Gosh. He sounds like a sore loser, huh? Well, yes:

Sore Loser: Eric Cantor’s Campaign Blames Democrats and the Liberal Media For Loss
It’s a good thing Virginia has a “sore loser” law because we have some very sore losers on our hands.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s pollster had some explaining to do after Cantor lost his primary battle to his Tea Party challenger David Brat by ten points when the pollster had predicted Cantor showed Cantor was ahead by 62 percent to 28 percent with 11 percent of voters undecided, and it went like this:

The Democrats did it, Mommy!

If you want empirical facts, go here:

Democrats did not give Brat the winning edge over Cantor

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Cantor sank his own ship - no Dem help needed

Per link above:

His response: “The party affiliation of the voters we surveyed, who voted in the Tuesday election, was 61 percent Republican, 33 percent independent, 3 percent Democrat, and the rest were something else or refused to say.”

He didn’t weight the sample. He adds:
There does not appear to be a meaningful level of Democratic participation in the primary. The 33 percent Independents is higher than I often see, but in states with no party registration, lots more people self-define as “Independents” while their voting behavior is clearly more strongly in favor of one party or the other.

So, while the Republican Establishment might try to tell us that Dave Brat only won because Democrats voted for him, the actual statistics don’t bear this theory out.

Last edited:

Repeater

Per link above:

His response: “The party affiliation of the voters we surveyed, who voted in the Tuesday election, was 61 percent Republican, 33 percent independent, 3 percent Democrat, and the rest were something else or refused to say.”

He didn’t weight the sample. He adds:
There does not appear to be a meaningful level of Democratic participation in the primary. The 33 percent Independents is higher than I often see, but in states with no party registration, lots more people self-define as “Independents” while their voting behavior is clearly more strongly in favor of one party or the other.

So, while the Republican Establishment might try to tell us that Dave Brat only won because Democrats voted for him, the actual statistics don’t bear this theory out.

Yes! :)

Liberty-or-Death

My statement was anecdotal, not empirical and I did not expect anyone to infer from that that Cantor lost because of Democrat votes.

Last edited:

scouser

Does it really matter which group of people didn't vote for the self important w**ker?

Let's just be happy he was removed

Liberty-or-Death

No argument there. This thread's been off topic almost from the get go. Surprised it's gone as long as it has.

Last edited:

Liberty-or-Death

Perhaps I should have put Dave Brat's name in the thread title rather than the other guy's. The point of my OP was the NRA mailing didn't endorse Brat. Lesson learned.

μολών λαβέ

Repeater

Remember Jamie Radtke?

Eric Cantor's well known position on OC and RKBA is hardly off topic. It is part and parcel of why he was defeated.

She knows Cantor's position(s) on RKBA. She also knows why he really lost:

Top ten reasons Eric Cantor lost
As I watch the national pundits and media try and analyze the huge Dave Brat victory against Eric Cantor yesterday, it is clear that most are completely clueless about why Brat won and Cantor lost. This election was not won because of Cantor’s view on illegal immigration. It played a factor at the polls yesterday, but it was not the determining factor. Those of us who have lived in this district for over a decade and have been on the ground can tell you the real reasons Cantor lost yesterday – and it was years in the making.

And, the Number One reason why Eric is over:

1 - GRASSROOTS DOMINATION: This is really the number one reason for victory last night. It cannot be emphasized enough the significance of the grassroots. Literally hundreds of individuals volunteered over the last five months to door knock and phone bank for Dave Brat.

Real Virginians who actually live in the 7th, and not high-paid outsiders, volunteered to help, including gun owners.

The Progressive media, and many others, are clueless.

Repeater

Sara for America Info

The Sara for America blog seems like a great Go-To place for truth, justice, and the American Way.

More truth about Cantor:

1) The Booing Nobodies

She critiques the WaPo defaming convention attendees as rude nobodies who dared to boo Eric Cantor as Linwood Cobb went down in defeat.

She ends with a real person helping Dave Brat:
DC is all about power — and Cantor, now?

Basically, to borrow a term from the Washington Post reporter above; I suppose that makes him one of those “nobodies”.

Welcome to Club Nobody Mr. Cantor!

I heard a funny story about a Brat Pack volunteer who came upon a guy apparently suffering hard-times on the corner of a busy intersection in Richmond this past weekend. The volunteer stopped, and told the man that he would give him a sign to hold up. If, when the volunteer returned in an hour and the indigent man was still holding the sign, he promised to buy the guy lunch.

Well, he did come back and the indigent fellow was indeed still holding the Dave Brat sign.

“Where do you want to go for lunch?” asked the volunteer.

Five Guys” said the new honorary Brat Pack member, so off they went.

Just a couple of those nobodies. But somebodies in my book.

2) Let’s Get Real Here on Voter Turnout Stats in VA 7
Can we get real here?

The reason there was a huge surge in voters is because there was more interest in the race.

In 2012, Cantor’s opponent, Floyd Bayne, did not have the money to raise his name ID, he was not seen by most as having the remotest chance of winning nor seen as a credible alternative to Cantor.

Most people thought the election was a given, and better time would be spent rearranging their sock drawer.

No offense to Floyd AT ALL, because I love the guy. But he was not able to raise any money, he ran no commercials. I suspect there were plenty of voters who didn’t even realize Cantor had an opponent in 2012.

3) Eric Cantor Continues to Disappoint
Eric Cantor was on Sunday morning talk shows today, doing what he does best: talking. If you expected (or hoped) he might throw some support to Brat while he was at it, you were disappointed. But then, when haven’t you been, when it comes to Cantor?

Like any Narcissist, Eric Cantor is all about ... Eric Cantor.