• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Guys,

We probably just won the most significant case involving gun rights in the last 200 years, have seen unprecedented advancement of gun rights over the last several decades against a concerted effort by anti-gun forces, and have been successful in starting the process of normalizing carry and making gun rights a non-partisan civil rights issue.

We are winning in the legislatures, the judiciary and the courts of public opinion. It is a time of great joy for those of us who believe in civil rights! The struggles continue and will always do so but we should move forward happily knowing that we ARE making a difference!

And yet still there are those who would see the cup as half empty and draining.

I spend HOURS that I do not have every day dealing with the rantings of a few extremists who believe that the system is irretrievably broken and cannot be fixed or who espouse secession or any number of other fringe issues.

These topics are NOT welcome here!!! The Republic is strong, the Constitution is sound and we should be happy today while planning for an even better tomorrow.

There are other forums for fringe issues but they are not here and you are taking time away from actual progress!

Thanks.

John

jpm84092

The Trend Is Encouraging

The trending in 2nd Amendment progress is encouraging and some of the gains in this past year were unthinkable even 5 years ago.

McDonald v Chicago was a HUGE WIN. But we must beware. An anti-gun president could upset the current fragile majority of 2nd Amendment supporters in SCOTUS.

Iowa was a "may issue" state with respect to concealed carry. Each Sheriff had absolute discretion and an applicant needed a reason to carry that would satisfy that Sheriff. Iowa did not recognize the permits of other States. After 1-1-2011, Iowa will be a "shall issue" State to any Iowa resident who qualifies. And, Iowa will then recognize the CCW permits of all other States.

Arizona had a CCW permit, but on the 29th of July Arizona will join Vermont and Alaska as a Constitutional Carry State.

And, Wisconsin's Governor (Dictator Doyle), realizing he was not electable, has stepped aside. We all remember the vote to override his last veto on a CCW Bill and the lone traitor who changed his vetop over-ride vote at the last minute. (He was not reelected.)

I know many of you want full 2nd Amendment Rights immediately. I agree, McDonald v Chicago established the right to own firearms as a Civil Right, however, the Court did not address the ways in which States may make reasonable laws and restrictions. That will come in future decisions.

Wisconsin is a "right denied" State. However, while I no longer live in Wisconsin, my heart is there and my friends in Wisconsin, you can do something immediately following the November elections and even before. Write to your representatives and ask where they stand on concealed carry and open carry. If you don't like the answer, write back and tell them that you will give money to their opponent.

Remind them that less guns means more crime. Use the information on NRA's site and other sites to cite fact versus supposition. Get the legislators to get rid of that "feel good" nonsensical Wisconsin law about the 1000 foot perimiter School Gun Free Zone. Hell, Utah allows concealed carry in any school and there has not been one single incident - well, the cops are getting nervous about their jobs because on-campus crime at the University of Utah did a nose dive.

When I still lived in Wisconsin I had a Utah non-resident CFP and carried open in my home and concealed when I traveled. On one occasion I spoke with Wisconsin Senator Neil Kedzie (Senator - Elkhorn area) and asked him why I was denied a right in my home State that I enjoyed in 30 other States. While Neil is very pro-2nd Amendment, he was floored by the question. He asked me to put that question to his committee when a new bill is brought up after Doyle is gone. I will gladly traevel the 3000 miles round-trip to do just that.

The Battle will not be over until each State has Constitutional Carry (imagine the dread in Kommie-fornia and New York, Maryland, and New Jersey.

Last edited:

Ruby

How you can be so optimistic in the face of the EPA considering banning all lead ammunition is a mystery.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/08/25/epa-considering-ban-on-traditional-ammunition/

What good is the right to carry a gun if you can't also carry ammunition?

Yeah, I know...there's still copper and steel...for now.

The article said that Congress exempted ammunition from that law in 1976. As far as I know, Congress STILL makes the laws, NOT the EPA. It is a petition, not a law, not yet anyway, This Congress and Adminstration has said very little regarding guns and things related, especially since it is an election year. Don't get your feathers ruflled just yet.

canadian

The article said that Congress exempted ammunition from that law in 1976. As far as I know, Congress STILL makes the laws, NOT the EPA.

That's never stopped an agency from "regulating" something into illegality anyway.

Fortunately though, it appears the EPA has backed down (for now). I imagine the hundreds of thousands of death threats had something to do with it, though I'm sure they will never admit it:

http://politics.usnews.com/news/was...ulate-lead-in-bullets-after-nra-protests.html

Superlite27

Old thread, but everything in it is still very relevant. Reminding everyone to stay focused is never a bad thing.

Welcome to the forum, Avid.

Not a bad bump, inadvertant as it might have been.

Avid

Old thread, but everything in it is still very relevant. Reminding everyone to stay focused is never a bad thing.

Welcome to the forum, Avid.

Not a bad bump, inadvertant as it might have been.

it was inadvertant- did not see the post date until after I posted. :cool:

Thanks for the warm welcome..

MilProGuy

I'm glad this thread was bumped, so I could have the opportunity to read it.

The message certainly sounds relevent for 2011.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And yet still there are those who would see the cup as half empty and draining.

John, I fear our fight is far from over. As evidenced by recent threads, the antis have elevated events to the global realm.

Our fight is far from over. So long as a sinful human element remains on God's good Earth, I don't think it will ever be over.

cwolfs69

the fight should have nothing to do with federal/general government. the 2nd amendment does not apply to states and we do not want it to. we want local laws not national. there we can control it ourselves. the feds have no business in our gun laws at all. the sovereign states have that pervue. most of the state constitutions are very close to the federal, but leave the feds out of gun rights. they do not belong. the bill of rights only applies to federal government, not states and localities.

lockman

State Researcher
Huh?

Originally you could be correct, BUT the 14th Amendment and the SCOTUS decision McDonald vs Chicago has applied the 2A directly to the states. As far as the 2A rights go the Feds are compelled to protect them from infringement from all local state and federal government entities.

OC for ME

the fight should have nothing to do with federal/general government. the 2nd amendment does not apply to states and we do not want it to. we want local laws not national. there we can control it ourselves. the feds have no business in our gun laws at all. the sovereign states have that pervue. most of the state constitutions are very close to the federal, but leave the feds out of gun rights. they do not belong. the bill of rights only applies to federal government, not states and localities.
This from a fella who don't live in Illinois, Maryland, Hawaii, D.C., California.....

Oh, come now, if those citizens wanted a RTKBA then they would vote for folks who would give a RTKBA to them. The feds should have nothing to do with what should be strictly a state issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.