• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Example RI-60 form for private sale/purchase

Bronson

From the link that DrTodd posted:
If a Thompson Center is purchased with a shoulder stock and a long barrel on it, it is a violation of state law to replace the stock with a pistol grip and/or the barrel with a short barrel. If a Thompson Center comes into this state with a pistol grip on it, all license and safety inspection requirements apply. A Thompson Center pistol may legally be converted from a pistol to a rifle; however it cannot be converted back.

I didn't know the bolded part. I thought that since it was originally registered as a pistol you could return it to it's original configuration....MSP says no. Are they correct, did this change, did they misinterpret the law, or am I just remembering incorrectly?

Bronson

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
From the link that DrTodd posted:

I didn't know the bolded part. I thought that since it was originally registered as a pistol you could return it to it's original configuration....MSP says no. Are they correct, did this change, did they misinterpret the law, or am I just remembering incorrectly?

Bronson

It may be that they are interpreting federal law.

On the bottom of this page: http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239, I found this

Ruling.JPG
Maybe they don't know about this ruling:
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Last edited: