• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Experiences with Ballistic Vests and Wearable Cameras.

DanNabis

I am interested in experiences that members may have had with open carrying and wearing a ballistic vest.
I'm struggling through all the different information out there about where it supposedly is and isn't legal and I don't have a clear understanding yet.
But I am interested and would consider wearing a ballistic vest of some sort depending on the legal hurtles.

Any one been confronted by LEOs over their ballistic vests?
Any good answers or ways to handle the situation?
For us who do not intend to commit crimes, any instances where you've found that ballistic vests are not allowed or not legal?

The vest thought came to mind after reading a few times people that said OCing allegedly makes you more likely to be shot first.

Second, I see a lot of video and audio recordings by OCers which seems like a very intelligent self protection measure.
Are there any limits in your experience to wearing cameras for in the event of certain encounters?

Does the camera run non stop?
Are there any affordable/reliable options people have found for wearable cameras?
Also what's your feeling/experience on whether the camera is visible or covert?

I'm trying to think out all my ends to be able to most adeptly address LEO's and concerned citizens in a way that is legally safe for me, and creates a positive impression on those I deal with whether Officers or interested Civilians.
I feel I have so much to think about as far how to respond and talk to people about my OC choices and actions.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Maverick9

Interesting subject, but my question to the OP is that maybe he is:
1. Living in the wrong place; wrong State
2. Has overestimated the veracity of those claims that OCers are 'shot first'
3. Is living in a fantasy (which is OK), and doesn't really have a 'need'.

Maybe you can tell us a little more about your EDC, your situation (but you can be vague), and what you plan to do with this set up.

If you are, by trade a bodyguard, I'd imagine there are licenses you can acquire which will make this kind of stuff legal. I'd look into getting a 'bodyguard license' or a 'private detective license' or maybe even work as a liaison with the community LE guys. To me that makes more sense than trying to do it as an individual.

davidmcbeth

Banned
2C:39-13. Unlawful use of body vests
1. Unlawful use of body vests. A person is guilty of a crime if he uses or wears a body vest while engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit murder, manslaughter, robbery, sexual assault, burglary, kidnaping, criminal escape or assault under N.J.S.2C:12-1b. Use or wearing a body vest while engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit a crime of the first degree is a crime of the second degree. Otherwise it is a crime of the third degree.

As used in this section, "body vest" means bullet-resistant body armor which is intended to provide ballistic and trauma protection.

L.1983,c.152,s.1; amended 1999, c.306.

And a link to a court memo regarding this statue (and others of course)..

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6337222131703720573&q=2C:39-13&hl=en&as_sdt=4,31

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I am interested in experiences that members may have had with open carrying and wearing a ballistic vest.
I'm struggling through all the different information out there about where it supposedly is and isn't legal and I don't have a clear understanding yet.
But I am interested and would consider wearing a ballistic vest of some sort depending on the legal hurtles.

Any one been confronted by LEOs over their ballistic vests?
Any good answers or ways to handle the situation?
For us who do not intend to commit crimes, any instances where you've found that ballistic vests are not allowed or not legal?

I have worn vests in the past when doing my process service job. Never had an issue with the vest and never had a cop ask me about it but I would have handled it as I handle any interaction with the po-po. Don't answer any questions. If they ask if I am wearing a vest, I would not have answered. Heaven, what answer to any query do you think may help you? Think think think..no answer can help you, only hurt you.

I have not found any jurisdictions that vests are not allowed ... but that does not mean squat really...especially if you are worried about going to prison for twenty years, right?

Never had the vests "field tested" lol ...

Last edited:

DanNabis

NOTE: NJ is not in my considerations for any reason. A place of the past.

Anyhow, I was just asking about peoples experiences, not so much about legality.

Has anyone used the Vievu Squared camera?

It is a wearable camera that turns on when you move the lens cover and it seems like a pretty attractive camera solution. Seems to retail for three and a half currrently.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
ballistic vest? as in a military style vest with rifle plates? why in the hell would you possibly want to wear one of those?

To not die if you are shot.

I own several "ballistic" vests, concealable and plate carriers. I do not wear them every day, but I do when necessary. I wear a vest when I shoot at "the Pit". A great deal of idiots who do not understand range safety seem to go to these places. I have been shot on several occasions and getting hit again is not a planned part of my future.

sudden valley gunner

To not die if you are shot.

I own several "ballistic" vests, concealable and plate carriers. I do not wear them every day, but I do when necessary. I wear a vest when I shoot at "the Pit". A great deal of idiots who do not understand range safety seem to go to these places. I have been shot on several occasions and getting hit again is not a planned part of my future.

+1

Also why the hell would he worry so much about why or what someone else wants to do?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
ballistic vest? as in a military style vest with rifle plates? why in the hell would you possibly want to wear one of those?

Sidearm? As in a military style pistol with high-capacity magazine? Why in the hell would you possibly want to wear one of those?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Sidearm? As in a military style pistol with (standard) high-capacity magazine? Why in the hell would you possibly want to wear one of those?

"cause they are FUN!!
Most of my pistols have lanyard rings. Military weapons are almost always heavy duty, do the job firearms. Besides....they are cool.