• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False charges against OCer

Statesman

imported post

If someone wants to file false charges against someone who is openly carrying, claiming you drew and pointed a weapon at them, what would happen?

This is the only legitimate argument against open carry that I have come across. I know someone that had false assault with a deadly weapon charge filed against him, and if he had not plead guilty and taken the lesser probation plea bargain, he could have faced a number of years in prison if it went to a trial and he was found guilty.

nick1207

imported post

he better have witneses.. other than that he cant prove nothing.. calling the cops and filing a false police report is a crime

OC4me

imported post

Have a digital recorder on and running at all times while carrying. OCing withsomeone you know (i.e. a witness) is probably just as good, if not a better defense.

Perhaps some sort of easily broken seal on the holster that would be torn in case the gun ever had to be unholstered for self-defense could also help defeat a false charge of brandishing.Such a system wouldn't be very practical unless the gun was kept in the sealed state all the time.

... I'm just throwing out ideas!

OC4me

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Oh I had one of those, but didn't know it would record sound. But if it does record, the controls would make it difficult to turn on and off quickly, but that wouldn't be a problem if you are recording from the moment you leave your house until you return. In that case, go for the higher memory model.

By the way, I paid $30 for my 2GB model at Walmarts, so shop around, those online prices seem a bit high.

You can't change the batteries either, you have to recharge the internal battery via a computer USB port with the cable they provide. This same cable allows you to transfer files back and forth between the computer hard drive and the SanDisk.

My Sandisk unit worked for about 10 months. Not sure if it was dropped,got wet or whatever, itjust died suddenly.

And as a final note, since it is a MP3 Player, it doesn't look like a recorder, which would be advantageous if you are worried about such audio 'evidence' disappearing in the event of a pat-down orarrest.

neuroblades

Statesman

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Carrying concealed offers no protection against anyone willing to bear false witness. Any state where the carry list is public is at risk or if the "false witness" knows you carry.

The accusation against someone carrying concealed would seem more credible than against an OC'er. How else would you know if the carrier did not display it in some way?