• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family Dollar is against OC/CC

s&w_M&P_owner

Got some new developments in the ongoing saga today guys. I was informed by an employee at the store that I live near and shop at that they ARE going to put up the Gunbusters "No Guns" signs sometime here in the future. Also, when asked about the policy that I posted in the first post in the thread, the assistant manager told this employee "Oh it doesn't apply to you, it applies to everyone". What she's saying is that it applies to customers and employees, even though there are no mentions of customers in their policies. I'm going to call the big boss (one level below the CEO) on Monday or Tuesday and try to get some answers here. Just figured I'd update you.

Last edited:

tjkruck

Dang soon we won't have anywhere to shop, some people (companies and customers) just don't get it.. we LEGALLY weapons trained persons are not the problem...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

s&w_M&P_owner

tjkruck,

I know right? I'm still going to call the big boss about this though, since I find it hard to believe that their overly anti-gun being that I've read a lot in this thread that a lot of people on here have carried in FD's and never had anything said, but then when someone carries in a small town FD, they want to ban guns. Another thing that kills me is that the local Sheriff's Deputies OC in there all the time, and nothing is said as well. I think they may have a frothing anti somewhere in the management there. Maybe I'm wrong, and they are anti-gun. I'll find out either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday I guess.

Last edited:

ZRazor

Got some new developments in the ongoing saga today guys. I was informed by an employee at the store that I live near and shop at that they ARE going to put up the Gunbusters "No Guns" signs sometime here in the future. Also, when asked about the policy that I posted in the first post in the thread, the assistant manager told this employee "Oh it doesn't apply to you, it applies to everyone". What she's saying is that it applies to customers and employees, even though there are no mentions of customers in their policies. I'm going to call the big boss (one level below the CEO) on Monday or Tuesday and try to get some answers here. Just figured I'd update you.

Methinks this is just an ignorant manager. FD's policy for employees and vendors prohibit firearms. This has been a policy for quite some time (A friend of mine used to work in management there). I know that Harris Teeter, which allows customers to carry, prohibits employees from carrying at work.

s&w_M&P_owner

Methinks this is just an ignorant manager. FD's policy for employees and vendors prohibit firearms. This has been a policy for quite some time (A friend of mine used to work in management there). I know that Harris Teeter, which allows customers to carry, prohibits employees from carrying at work.

This may be the case here as well, ZRazor. I know for sure the employees can't carry. All I know is that today I was informed that they are going to put up the Gunbusters sign on the door sometime in the near future (no date given), so I'm going to call the Regional Manager within the next few days here and talk to him about this and see if it is just an ignorant manager, or if this really is corporate policy and how it's going to be.

Last edited:

tjkruck

My wife worked at a small bowling alley. The owner was very gun friendly, we would often talk about getting our carry permit and actually talking about taking the class together, unfortunately I was not waiting forever for him to come through, so last year I took my class and got my permit, my wife had to stop in there so we both went in and I OC'd. He told me to get out because I was armed and three days later there was a sign banning firearms (was not I compliance tho) a week later THEY GOT ROBBED. Hmm odd huh. Come to find out too they actually lost many customers because the owner did not know so many customers actually were permit holders. Haha. They are closed now... Strength in numbers coming together

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dang soon we won't have anywhere to shop, some people (companies and customers) just don't get it.. we LEGALLY weapons trained persons are not the problem...

Don't be so negative.

While I can't speak directly to MN, I can to NC and more particularly to VA where a vastly larger percentage of stores, businesses and shops do not bat an eye when a LAC carrying walks inside - just business as usual.

The trend to understand an accept OCers and CCers alike has grown exponentially over the last decade.

tjkruck

Don't be so negative.

While I can't speak directly to MN, I can to NC and more particularly to VA where a vastly larger percentage of stores, businesses and shops do not bat an eye when a LAC carrying walks inside - just business as usual.

The trend to understand an accept OCers and CCers alike has grown exponentially over the last decade.

Mn is kinda wishy-washy when it comes to citizens whom are armed. Many LEO does not like the fact that we exercise this right. The county I am currently in has many power trips. As for the stores I have gone into certain sporting good stores and had troubles and some I have not, the problem I encounter is the employee who does not know their correct company policies, and confront a permit holder and inform them that the store bans firearms when they in fact do not have such a rule, I am unfortunate reporting that I work for a company that many employees do such a thing, and a few employees such as myself inform our coworkers that no such policy exists for customers rule only applies to associates, it is unfortunate for me and other minnesotans that our state does not have the acceptance from people whom do not carry, I believe the last time I checked mn only had about 90k registered permit holders. Hopefully in time they will give us a little more leash and understand. No real negativity intended just concern

Last edited:

s&w_M&P_owner

My wife worked at a small bowling alley. The owner was very gun friendly, we would often talk about getting our carry permit and actually talking about taking the class together, unfortunately I was not waiting forever for him to come through, so last year I took my class and got my permit, my wife had to stop in there so we both went in and I OC'd. He told me to get out because I was armed and three days later there was a sign banning firearms (was not I compliance tho) a week later THEY GOT ROBBED. Hmm odd huh. Come to find out too they actually lost many customers because the owner did not know so many customers actually were permit holders. Haha. They are closed now... Strength in numbers coming together

This is a prime example of why I'm against those No Guns signs. It's like I tell people. A criminal is not going to abide by those signs. It's not like there going to see it and say "Ah, crap! They have a "No Guns" sign posted. I can't go in here and rob them. Man! That just ruins my day!" All it does is create a criminal safe zone. That's what it's about man. Strength in numbers. On a side note: I'll be getting the phone number to contact the big boss at FD tonight. Tomorrow I can call them and see what's going on.

tjkruck

This is a prime example of why I'm against those No Guns signs. It's like I tell people. A criminal is not going to abide by those signs. It's not like there going to see it and say "Ah, crap! They have a "No Guns" sign posted. I can't go in here and rob them. Man! That just ruins my day!" All it does is create a criminal safe zone. That's what it's about man. Strength in numbers. On a side note: I'll be getting the phone number to contact the big boss at FD tonight. Tomorrow I can call them and see what's going on.

lol right, you know the signs on the front doors of fuel stations that state "cashier has no access to safe" and yet they still get robbed...... so posting no firearms and not allowing law abiding citizens whom are armed inside their buisness is a very big welcome sign for criminals, i actually had a talk with a waitress at the local buffalo wild wings on my lunch one day and said to her, "my wife would kind of be surprised that i am actually a patron here right now" she looked at me and said "and why is that" i replied " due to the fact you restrict my legal carry of a firearm thus not allowing me to defend myself if something happens" she looked at me and asked " what do you mean " i replied " due to the fact that i am a law abiding citizen, i HAVE to comply with your posted sign on the front door, that being said will a criminal who has intent to rob you or cause someone harm comply with your sign, will they see that sign and say, nope cant do it here they ban guns" her eyes got so big she looked at me with the most serious face and said "oh my gosh i have to say i never thought of it like that" i chuckled and went about my meal, i have never had such good service at any resteraunt in my life than that day...

gergmai

I live right down the street from a Family Dollar that I OC'd in many, many times, until one day I noticed a small (maybe slightly larger than a 4x6) tattered sticker sign that's barely visible among all the other crap stuck to the window, and it wasn't even on the door. Funny thing is no one ever said anything to me when I was OCing, but now I just go to the Dollar General if I need something from a dollar store, no signs and no trouble so far.

s&w_M&P_owner

I live right down the street from a Family Dollar that I OC'd in many, many times, until one day I noticed a small (maybe slightly larger than a 4x6) tattered sticker sign that's barely visible among all the other crap stuck to the window, and it wasn't even on the door. Funny thing is no one ever said anything to me when I was OCing, but now I just go to the Dollar General if I need something from a dollar store, no signs and no trouble so far.

There's no signs at our FD...YET. I went to a Dollar General once while OCing, but I got such dirty looks from the employees that I haven't returned since. Also guys, I called FD, apparently the one district manager is out of vacation this week, so their going to have one of the other district managers call me back at some point.

cap-n-ball

I open carried at the Dollar General (Rt 150 just outside of Salisbury) the other day with no incidents but did get some strange looks from an older lady that was in line when I walked in. But then I do carry a .44 Remington with an 8 inch barrel so concealing is not an option. But with some of them I have seen in there I feel safer by doing it, especially when I drive my classic car there.

s&w_M&P_owner

You posted the above 8 days ago, any updates?

Sorry I haven't been around guys, been busy with some other stuff.

Anyway, to answer your question NCBobD, I called them on the day I made my last post, and I still have not received a call back from them as of today. I will be calling again Monday, and hopefully will get to talk to someone.

Last edited:

Medic1210

Sorry I haven't been around guys, been busy with some other stuff.

Anyway, to answer your question NCBobD, I called them on the day I made my last post, and I still have not received a call back from them as of today. I will be calling again Monday, and hopefully will get to talk to someone.

I'm thinking just let it go and continue to open carry there until a sign gets put up or the manager asks you to leave. If it happens again, then just find some other cheap store to shop.

s&w_M&P_owner

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been back on here for a while, been busy with some other things.

Just thought I'd post an update on the whole Family Dollar firearms carry situation. The Asst. Manager who was making an issue out of all of this has since transferred out of the store, and the store manager doesn't care really, since our local Sheriff's Deputies (in and out of uniform) carry in there all the time. I never did get anything back from FD's corporate office, but I guess all's well that ends well :).

carolina guy

lol right, you know the signs on the front doors of fuel stations that state "cashier has no access to safe" and yet they still get robbed...... so posting no firearms and not allowing law abiding citizens whom are armed inside their buisness is a very big welcome sign for criminals, i actually had a talk with a waitress at the local buffalo wild wings on my lunch one day and said to her, "my wife would kind of be surprised that i am actually a patron here right now" she looked at me and said "and why is that" i replied " due to the fact you restrict my legal carry of a firearm thus not allowing me to defend myself if something happens" she looked at me and asked " what do you mean " i replied " due to the fact that i am a law abiding citizen, i HAVE to comply with your posted sign on the front door, that being said will a criminal who has intent to rob you or cause someone harm comply with your sign, will they see that sign and say, nope cant do it here they ban guns" her eyes got so big she looked at me with the most serious face and said "oh my gosh i have to say i never thought of it like that" i chuckled and went about my meal, i have never had such good service at any resteraunt in my life than that day...

Don't they also serve beer?