• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Father Who Shot Felon During Home Invasion Arrested

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Did not bother to click/read the link because you have provided no information about why the incident might be relevant.

Believe it or not, some here might actually be interested in your views on the issue - if only as a springboard for discussion.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Connection made = relevant.

Depending on how all of the details of the case shake out, this could end up being a case that goes through several appeals courts and may reignite the debate on whether felons, particularly non-violent felons, should be allowed to own firearms once they have completed their sentences.

Kopis

Just my personal opinion of course but a non violent felony can be so many things nowadays. Simple DUI (limits are very low and getting lower), white collar crime etc. I think they should regain gun rights when their sentences are completed.

willy1094

Did not bother to click/read the link because you have provided no information about why the incident might be relevant.

Believe it or not, some here might actually be interested in your views on the issue - if only as a springboard for discussion.

stay safe.
Yet you decide to make an even more useless post than you claim mine was :rolleyes: If you cannot make a connection of relevance base solely on the title, let alone the snip I included, I'm afraid I cannot help you.

Just my personal opinion of course but a non violent felony can be so many things nowadays. Simple DUI (limits are very low and getting lower), white collar crime etc. I think they should regain gun rights when their sentences are completed.
I agree completely. Perhaps the future of gun control is to start handing out felonies like they are candy:shocker:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Yet you decide to make an even more useless post than you claim mine was :rolleyes: If you cannot make a connection of relevance base solely on the title let alone the snip it included I'm afraid I cannot help you.

I agree completely. Perhaps the future of gun control is to start handing out felonies like they are candy:shocker:

I think we will see more felonies added just so more people can be stopped from legally owning guns. Of course the real criminal does not give damn about any law let alone one limiting self defense options.

Besides being unconstitutional, the dumb GCA does not work, not even in the slightest amount.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I know what the issue is and why it is relevant. It's just that I'm sick and tired of seeing links posted without the OP sharing some small bit of opinion or insight. For all I know without some commentary from the OP, the OP might be in favor of nailing convicted felons to the wall when they are faced with a Sophie's Choice situation.

@Marshaul - the first point is that they did not try to railroad me with some felony. The second point is that trying to railroad someone and successfully railroading someone are two different things. I suppose I could try all day to show how much like a *******' braying your post is, but unless I'm successful it means nothing, does it?

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
@Marshaul - the first point is that they did not try to railroad me with some felony. The second point is that trying to railroad someone and successfully railroading someone are two different things. I suppose I could try all day to show how much like a *******' braying your post is, but unless I'm successful it means nothing, does it?

Speaking of braying...

First of all, you likening me to an ass doesn't carry the potential to deprive me of my rights. In fact, it carries little potential other than reflecting back on you.

I suppose Scouser will be tickled pink with his having been railroaded once you remind him that some lucky few, such as yourself, escape. :rolleyes: I equally suppose that victims of attempted murder have no cause to complain unless their attacker is successful.

I'm not going to even pretend that your differentiation of felonies from misdemeanors is significant or possesses semantic value; it does not. The bar for what constitutes a "felony" has long ago been sufficiently lowered to render irrelevant the distinction, at least outside a sentencing hearing and its consequences.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Apparently, Bane was convicted of a felony marijuana possession charge in 2001. Bane said that he didn’t realize the crime meant that he was a felon who was not allowed to own firearms for the rest of his life. from art. linked in OP

Maybe the DA will not follow through on this ... does he want to argue that weed possession is a bar to gun ownership?

Maybe....but the guy paid his debt to society and is now a freeman..he should be able to own a gun.

If he is so dangerous, why is he not behind bars?

Maverick9

I didn't read the article, but I suspect the guy did the 'OMIF' strategy, and did not wait for his lawyer.

If there was a 'non-felon' in the house why not let the police INFER that this person might have been the shooter? Why not let the police INFER the felon shot himself? In fact, a clever TV show (i.e. hypothetical) might have the 'non-Violent Felon' get the BG's gun and shoot it through an appropriate 'hole' which allegedly might have pre-existed...but I digress.

I think that if the lawyer had been the one to speak to the cops, and/or the guy had involved the lawyer he could have armed up but with an alternative HD contraption. Compound Hunting bow, Cross-Bow, anyone? Guy would have been just as dead.

I'm not sure why the title had to be 'Father'...guess I'll go read now. :uhoh:

(OpenMouthInsertFoot)

Maverick9

OK, I do not buy this guy's store he didn't know ALL ABOUT his felony MJ conviction.

Come on, these street guys are more well-versed than the lawyers about this stuff. (yes I'm profiling...so shoot me with a nerf gun)

Hope it works out for him, but the story sounds fishy as heck. The BG came in and 'started shooting'? Really? What prompted the NV Felon to get a firearm? Was it stolen?

twoskinsonemanns

Seems like justice to me. Years ago this man was convicted for having a plant that made him feel good that the government said he can't have. Makes sense that he should be stripped of his right to defend himself and his family from criminals. :banghead:

The Truth

Seems like justice to me. Years ago this man was convicted for having a plant that made him feel good that the government said he can't have. Makes sense that he should be stripped of his right to defend himself and his family from criminals. :banghead:

:lol:

In all seriousness though, this is a very unfortunate case. The guy did the right thing, it just happened to be illegal. Another victim of the failed drug war, whether he had a gun to stop the threat or not.

Maverick9

Actually, I'm pretty sure most "street guys" don't really give a **** about the law beyond avoiding the police.

Or maybe I'm just projecting.

Some don't but info spreads around and the group (posse) know the law, because it helps when trying to not give a deuce about it. Most guys can quote their record, 'got two felonies and a mis'...or maybe I watch too many cop shows?