• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Gun Free School Zones Mapped in Anchorage

Eagle2009

Here is a map of the Title 18 USC 922(q) Federal Gun Free School Zones in Anchorage. Under the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, it is a federal felony for any person to travel armed on public sidewalks, roads, or highways that pass within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school, unless they have a carry permit physically issued by the State in which the school is in. Permit reciprocity, and unlicensed carry do not protect an individual from the federal law. The zones on the map are circular, and are smaller than the actual zones, which are measured from the school's property line. It is a felony for a permit holder or off-duty police officer to discharge their firearm in a school zone under any circumstances.

anchoragegfsza.jpg

Last edited:

Butch00

I wonder how much All the maps are going to cost the taxpayers out there.
I bet a huge amount, and all a waste.

Greyh Seer

I wish we could get this stupid law repealed. It hasn't done anything but get law-abiding citizens in trouble...grrr.

Butch00

Selective Enforcement....... but could start enforcing on everyone whenever they want.
I think they would have a big problem though.

armaborealis

Note that there is no exception for law enforcement officers who aren't on duty. Even the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 which allows off-duty and retired police officers to CCW in most places despite state llaw does not permit carry within a school zone.

The APD cops shoot at Birchwood, and to get to Birchwood from Anchorage, you have to drive right by Chugiak HS on the Glenn. I really doubt that off-duty cops heading up to Birchwood on the weekend pull off the highway, secure their weapons IAW the Gun Free School Zones Act, and then continue up to the range.

The complexity of these laws reminds me of a Tocqueville quote:

Thus, After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community. It covers the surface of society with a network of small complicated rules, minute and uniform, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate, to rise above the crowd. The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.

I would say that it is ironic as this particular law even includes law enforcement but I doubt that the GFSZA will ever be enforced against such an officer.