• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Gun Free School Zones Mapped in Boise

Eagle2009

Here is a map of the Title 18 USC 922(q) Federal Gun Free School Zones in Boise. Under the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, it is a federal felony for any person to travel armed on public sidewalks, roads, or highways that pass within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school, unless they have a carry permit physically issued by the State in which the school is in. Permit reciprocity, and unlicensed carry do not protect an individual from the federal law. The zones on the map are circular, and are smaller than the actual zones, which are measured from the school's property line. It is a felony for a permit holder or off-duty police officer to discharge their firearm in a school zone under any circumstances.

boisemetrogfsza.jpg

boiseclosegfsza.jpg

Last edited:

Zhukov

It is a felony for a permit holder or off-duty police officer to discharge their firearm in a school zone under any circumstances.

Are you trying to say there isn't a self-defense exemption?

Zhukov

Still, all of your posts seem more like fear mongering. While I appreciate the info, you seem to try to be saying so in such a way as to get everyone to go "OH NO!" and not carry.

You'd have to get popped by a federal agent to get hit with it due to Idaho's restrictions on local police.

Also, the current Gun Free Zone Act hasn't been challenged yet and would likely be struck down by SCOTUS due to Heller and McDonald.

Eagle2009

There is no self defense exception in it, a permit holder can't discharge a firearm in a school zone for any reason. My intent is to get this terrible law changed. California's law, which is nearly identical was challenged in federal court in April 2011 on Heller grounds, and the federal court ruled that it is constitutional, despite Heller, and stated that the US Supreme Court had specifically endorsed such laws in their Heller decision.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/119607989.html

Last edited:

ecocks

Wish the map was interactive since I'm on the edge of one of those zones. If you have a location for that map it would be nice.

I'm not worried about prosecution under this law for valid self-defense actions although it would certainly need to be validated. It certainly seems appropriate to include an exception in the instance of self-defense or protection of another but it isn't going to come from 1-2 people expressing their righteous indignation while carrying a sign around the reflecting pond.

If you're interested in political action why not join IDCDL and step up to WORKING on legislative change?

Marv Hagedorn, one of our state reps will be at the July meeting (see info on June mtg. thread) to discuss Idaho Constitutional Carry and Campus Carry on Idaho university and college campuses.

Zhukov

There is no self defense exception in it, a permit holder can't discharge a firearm in a school zone for any reason. My intent is to get this terrible law changed. The law was actually challenged in April 2011 on Heller grounds, and the court ruled that it is constitutional, despite Heller, and stated that the US Supreme Court had specifically endorsed this law in their Heller decision.

Almost every lower court is doing everything in their power to argue that Heller lets this happen. I have a feeling SCOTUS, though, will disagree with their assessment.

And I was just checking on the intent. I've seen Brady supporters trying to assert a lot of FUD to try and scare people.

hermannr

There is no self defense exception in it, a permit holder can't discharge a firearm in a school zone for any reason. My intent is to get this terrible law changed. The law was actually challenged in April 2011 on Heller grounds, and the court ruled that it is constitutional, despite Heller, and stated that the US Supreme Court had specifically endorsed this law in their Heller decision.

While I agree that the law should just be repealed, I do not see a lower court ruling as binding, especially one from San Fran.. Hopefully the ruling will be appealed and overturned.

Eagle2009

The law has been challenged in nearly every circuit based on the 10th Amendment, and it has been ruled constitutional every time. It will not be struck down based on the 10th... a 2nd amendment ruling is the only hope.

See United States v Dorsey (2005) (This one specifically reviewed the changes made after the law was struck down, and found the changes were sufficient to correct the defects that had caused it to be struck down)

United States v Danks (1999)

United States v Haywood (2002)

United States v Smith (2005)

United States v Nieves Castano (2007)

United States v Weekes (2007)

United States v Benally (2007)

United States v Cruz-Rodrigues (2008)

Zhukov

10th amendment? That's a bit of a long shot.

But yes, arguing with the "sensitive places" part of the Heller ruling would probably result in: Schools can be off-limits, however there cannot be a "zone" around them infringing on the 2nd.

Last edited: