• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally! Permitless Carry

SFCRetired

Governor Kay Ivey signed into law House Bill 272 which removes the requirement for a permit to carry a pistol concealed or in a vehicle. While I have not yet had a chance to read all of the changes in the Code of Alabama, this does sound like a giant leap forward for us.

solus

"§13A-11-85. (a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state."

sorry failed to read in the 30 pages of the HB where it changes to the commentary AL citizens do not need a permit to carry a handgun...

but the let the flag waving for AL's citizens only...

SFCRetired

"Really Crummey wording giving lots of wiggle room."

To paraphrase the great humorist, Will Rogers, "When the legislature makes a joke, it's law and when they make a law, it's a joke."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I took a little time and read over the statutes involved in this legislation and I can't find anything benefiting gunowners. From what I read AL is not a second amendment state. There are way too many restrictions.

Kirbinator

I took a little time and read over the statutes involved in this legislation and I can't find anything benefiting gunowners. From what I read AL is not a second amendment state. There are way too many restrictions.
I generally agree. I haven't taken the time to try and wrap my brain around that Act but I do remember it being pretty sloppy work.

Act 2013-283 was a last minute bait and switch. They should have never touched 11-80-11 and 11-45-1.1.