• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms in hospitals...

mobiushky

So some of you may or may not know, but my wife was in the hospital since last Friday. Long story, not the point. The day we went I read a sign on the door (have since seen many on every door) that says something to this effect:

"No weapons (including guns or knives) allowed in this building. This applies to all buildings on this campus. Violators will be prosecuted."

I get the no firearms signs, but the violators will be prosecuted was the one that threw me. I can understand them asking you to leave and threatening with trespassing charges. But signs have no force of law in Colorado. Are they actually implying that if you read the sign and still carry, you will be prosecuted with trespass? Something tells me this is an unenforceable sign.

PS, I CC'd the entire time anyway.

Hamans-gallows

So some of you may or may not know, but my wife was in the hospital since last Friday. Long story, not the point. The day we went I read a sign on the door (have since seen many on every door) that says something to this effect:

"No weapons (including guns or knives) allowed in this building. This applies to all buildings on this campus. Violators will be prosecuted."

I get the no firearms signs, but the violators will be prosecuted was the one that threw me. I can understand them asking you to leave and threatening with trespassing charges. But signs have no force of law in Colorado. Are they actually implying that if you read the sign and still carry, you will be prosecuted with trespass? Something tells me this is an unenforceable sign.

PS, I CC'd the entire time anyway.

I have had lots of experience with hospitals lately in Colorado Springs.

Memorial Hospital is city owned and only has signs that only prohibit OC.

Penrose Hospital has a silhouette of a gun with a circle-slash. I interpreted that to mean no OC.

I had a dispute with a hospice nurse and went to their headquarters at the St, Francis medical building. They had big sign with all of the "will be prosecuted" BS. I don't think that there is anything that they "could" prosecute you for, except maybe third degree criminal trespass, which is a class 1 petty offense. IANAL, but I believe that a defense to this offense, would be that you rectified the situation by leaving immediately when asked. I mean I don't read every sign that I pass, I just didn't notice it.

University Hospital in Denver has signage prohibiting weapons, but the Colorado Supreme Court recently ruled that they were preempted by state law, so I just figured Screw 'em.

Pike Peak Mental Health Center has a sign that says if you are caught with a weapon police will be notified.

My conclusion? Go ahead and CC and no one will be the wiser. If by some slim chance someone catches you, its not likely that you would be prosecuted. If you were, there is a good chance that you would be acquitted, and if by some stroke of lottery bad luck you ended up convicted, it is still a very minor offense.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
My conclusion? Go ahead and CC and no one will be the wiser. If by some slim chance someone catches you, its not likely that you would be prosecuted. If you were, there is a good chance that you would be acquitted, and if by some stroke of lottery bad luck you ended up convicted, it is still a very minor offense.

If I ever feel the need to CC in those circumstances, I make sure it's well-concealed. This way, the only way anyone ever would become the wiser is if I were in a situation where I needed to draw my firearm. Rare.

PFC HALE

ive been to a couple of hospitals near denver that had metal detectors and armed security. These are places not to bother carrying.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
ive been to a couple of hospitals near denver that had metal detectors and armed security. These are places not to bother carrying.

A hospital that needs that level of security is not one I would want to be admitted to. Sounds like there is as much chance of dying from violence as there is dying from an opportunistic infection.

stay safe.