• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC!

Keens

Hello!

Yesterday I finally did my first official OC! I met M-Taliesin who helped me get over my nervousness and we visited a few places. I wore my S&W .40 in a Galco OWB.

I thought I was going to be nervous as hell, since I've been reading this forum for about 2 months getting myself ready. Actually, I was only nervous for the first 15 minutes or so as I walked into a busy King Soopers. Not a word from anybody, but a few looks from a couple people. Walked by the store manager on our way to the register, waited in line, she saw my piece and I gave a friendly "hello" and she said "hello" back and just went back to what she was doing. No big deal.

We then stopped at M-T's Verizon store, him explaining that this location is very OC friendly and he visits frequently. We met the manager at the door and chatted with him for a few. He is pro OC.

Next stop was a local Tires Plus, I doubt the one employee who helped us even noticed, but 2 old ladies noticed my piece and went back to reading their magazines.

Best Buy was the next stop, and like Verizon, are pro OC.

Final stop was Wally World, which was the best one for me as far as people's reactions. As we all know, Wally World gets a big varitey of people. A few people of questionable demeanor simply just got out of my way once they saw I was OC'ing. As M-T was looking at a pair of slacks, there was a woman working in that same aisle, she was covered head to toe (Somalian or Egyptian?? I don't know the right word). As I walked behind M-T out of the aisle, her eyes and reaction were priceless! She stared at my sidearm and literally backed up and hugged the shelves! I should've gave a friendly "hello, how are you?" to let her know that I'm a friendly guy.

Anyway, it was a good day and I got more comfortable as it went along. Store employess seem to me a lot friendlier when a customer is OC'ng. One thing I do need to work on is interacting with strangers around me as I shop to show them I'm a friendly fellow by simply saying "hi, are you today?" I need to work on the small chat, as I'm accustomed to just going in, getting what I need, and going back to my car with out talking to anybody. I want to thank M-T for helping me out yesterday. I think its time for me to do a little more OC today at the dog park!

Carry On!

Keens

Keens

Congrats, glad to hear you're getting out there.

IMO you should not feel the need to change your routine just because you are OCing. Act the way that makes you feel most comfortable. Unless this is a goal of yours. Be yourself and enjoy your new found freedom!

I've been wanting to get out of the Denver Metro area for some time. I've lived here all my life, it's time for something new, so why not a very OC friendly city? :D

JamesB

One good first day may just start a patter. Congrats, and welcome aboard.

My first reaction is to point out that just because a business like Wally World or Verizon is not anti-OC does not exactly make them pro-OC. Many like Starbucks have simply said, "we don't want to be on either side of the arguement." Understandably, large corperations can only go so far with announcing their pro or anti anything stance because it will effect their bottom line. We all know that corperations worship a different God than most of us...Benjamin Franklin (the green one).

Small businesses on the other hand, have the oportunity to be truly pro-OC. For example here in Lakewood there is a used bookstore where the owner has repetedly pointed out to me that "You and that piece of Tupperware (refering to my Glock) are welcome here anytime." He and I have had quite a few conversations about OC, CC, classes etc. But I've also overheard him having these conversations with customers who were not carrying and did not have an obvious leaning on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer that businesses be simply neutral rather than try to infringe, and I frequent Stabucks simply because of it. But if TSHTF, the man at the bookstore is welcome in my bunker, and I'll let the verizon people point cell phones at each other.

Off the topic... You should see the reactions at Wal-Mart when you are opencarrying and you want to try on seven pairs of pants in their dressing room. They go along, but it's fun to watch.

Keens

Well, I get a bit cranky on a Sunday nite knowing I have a long ass 5 days worth of BS at work! I'm thinking of doing an hour or so of OC'ing at a dog park Monday after 6pm. My pup gets to run and be free, and alas, anyone want to join and OC while our pooches run free? You're welcome to stop by! I'm thinking of the dog park near Holly and County Line Rd.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
You gotta be careful with parks. Those are city property and may be posted to prohibit carrying firearms.
Check it out beforehand and look for a sign with 'park rules'. If it says no firearms, then heed that prohibition.
Otherwise, go for it.

Meanwhile, I am delighted you enjoyed our outing and would be happy to do another anytime you would like.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Congrats, glad to hear you're getting out there.

Act the way that makes you feel most comfortable. Be yourself and enjoy your new found freedom!

Howdy Moto!
Yeah, but what if yourself is an a-hole? They do exist in our society. Really want an a-hole running around with a handgun on their hip?

Remember, we're wanting to promote public acceptance of OC. That cause isn't helped when some folks, being themselves, turn out to be a-holes wiht a handgun.

Better to be cordial and friendly while answering questions that may come from the general public.
The more folks who learn that OC is legal, and the more who see us as 'normal' people, the better!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Howdy Moto!
Yeah, but what if yourself is an a-hole? They do exist in our society. Really want an a-hole running around with a handgun on their hip?

Remember, we're wanting to promote public acceptance of OC. That cause isn't helped when some folks, being themselves, turn out to be a-holes wiht a handgun.

Dammit.

Keens

Howdy Amigo!
You gotta be careful with parks. Those are city property and may be posted to prohibit carrying firearms.
Check it out beforehand and look for a sign with 'park rules'. If it says no firearms, then heed that prohibition.
Otherwise, go for it.

Meanwhile, I am delighted you enjoyed our outing and would be happy to do another anytime you would like.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Yes, I am fully aware of stupid "No Firearms" dumbass signs! I'll be looking for these dumshit postings! Anyhow, if it's posted, I'll just head to another dog park! Kind of like businesses who post a No-Carry sign! If it's not OC friendly, my biz goes elsewhere!

Cesar A

Sounds Great!

I am very happy you decided to OC and the Bard was definitely the right person to accompany you!
The only thing I have to ask is: did he bring his guitar :D?
Airborne!

Keens

I did some shooting today at my member range, and definitely made my weekend! A fellow shooter offered me to shoot his gun. I shot a .500 mag for my first time! Also had some fun with an AR-15 and my .40.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've never fired a .500, before. .44 mag has been about as far as I feel any need to take it.

I've dropped a string of 500-pounders before, thought. It's an interesting feeling when you can feel the concussion of their detonations in the seat of your pants. :)

M-Taliesin

I've never fired a .500, before. .44 mag has been about as far as I feel any need to take it.

Howdy Amigo!
Tuesday night's Citizen's Academy class will be visiting with the Bomb Squad, where students will actually have a chance to blow something up! Then they'll get to see demonstrations from SWAT, and watch as they fire a .50 cal sniper rifle. They say that one can be felt in the seat of your britches some distance away too. And we won't be there!!!!!!!! I could just spit nails!

Because I bought tickets for Les Miserables, at $95 bucks a crack, long before I ever entertained the notion of joining Citizens Academy, we are gonna be there instead. But the angst gnaws at me. Of all the classes I'd really like to attend, this is really high on the list!

The saving grace is, while I may miss this particular class, I can pick it up on the next Citizen's Academy class sometime in the spring. So it will only be delayed, not missed out on entirely.

And I've learned that financing for Citizens Academy comes almost entirely from the Alumni Association. Those who have taken Citizen's Academy in the past contribute to those who will take it in the future. And in addition to that, we also will be called upon to volunteer at community events or in emergency situations. I don't know enough about the nature of those opportunities for community service yet, but do know they're out there and I'll take part as a citizen of this county!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

I've dropped a string of 500-pounders before, thought. It's an interesting feeling when you can feel the concussion of their detonations in the seat of your pants. :)

Plus this was in an indoor range, so the percussion was massive! The flames were pretty crazy too! Before the .500, the most powerful was a .44 mag like you. After shooting that cannon, I went back to my lane to shoot my .40, as I picked it up to fire, I still had an adrenaline rush, and set my gun back down to calm down for a minute. I still am smiling! Always been a dream of mine to shoot a .500!